Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question about categories on different business listings around the net?

  1. #1
    Desouza is offline Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times

    Question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    After reading this post by Phil Rosek and Mikel Zaremba,
    #1 Rank Killer in Your Restaurants Local SEO & How To Fix It, the importance of having consistent categories across my different business listings is clear to me.

    Although, I have a question that many of you may be able to answer.

    What do you do if your listing your business on several different directories (ex: yelp, yellow pages, facebook page, google+ page, etc..), and they each have set categories that you can choose from, and they are not all the same?


    In the link provided above, Mikel suggests picking 1 main category and 3 or 4 subcategories, and always stick to the EXACT same ones across every citation source, and in the same order.

    Can anyone advise me on how this is possible? thanks!!

  2. #2
    Phil Rozek's Avatar
    Phil Rozek is offline Top Contributor
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked 393 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desouza View Post
    What do you do if your listing your business on several different directories (ex: yelp, yellow pages, facebook page, google+ page, etc..), and they each have set categories that you can choose from, and they are not all the same?
    That's fine. Your job is to pick out the most-relevant categories on each site, one site at a time. As you said, they don't match up perfectly from site to site. And that's OK.
    Linda Buquet and Tammy Wood like this.

  3. #3
    Desouza is offline Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rozek View Post
    That's fine. Your job is to pick out the most-relevant categories on each site, one site at a time. As you said, they don't match up perfectly from site to site. And that's OK.
    thanks for the reply Phil.

    Doesnt that going against what is said in this video though, from 2:10 - 2:40 : http://youtu.be/V1kuQX9ea1M?t=2m10s
    (btw, your blog is great Phil!)

    ---------- Post Merged at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rozek View Post
    That's fine. Your job is to pick out the most-relevant categories on each site, one site at a time. As you said, they don't match up perfectly from site to site. And that's OK.
    Also, in the new Google my business, would you advise me against creating my own custom categories?

    Or should I only stick with the categories that generate in the dropdown?

  4. #4
    Phil Rozek's Avatar
    Phil Rozek is offline Top Contributor
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked 393 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Nope. See the 2:45 mark

    You may also listen to the long discussion between Mike and me.

    FYI, there's no such thing as a custom category in Google Places anymore. Google did away with custom categories in April 2013.

  5. #5
    MikelZaremba's Avatar
    MikelZaremba is offline Member - S.O.
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 11 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Desouza - I'm speaking specifically of restaurants in the video. Because there are so many more niche categories for these I advise nailing down your top 5 (if you have 5) and trying to use those.

    What I find to be true in restaurants who try to do their own local SEO is that they forget or don't pay attention to how they categorize the business.

    It tends to happen a lot with places that have a broad menu. The restaurant is an American restaurant but they serve seafood, and and have a a couple other menu options and instead of sticking with the main American restaurant (pretty common category in most citations) as the primary they substitute other categories.
    Linda Buquet likes this.

  6. #6
    Desouza is offline Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rozek View Post
    Nope. See the 2:45 mark

    You may also listen to the long discussion between Mike and me.

    FYI, there's no such thing as a custom category in Google Places anymore. Google did away with custom categories in April 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelZaremba View Post
    Desouza - I'm speaking specifically of restaurants in the video. Because there are so many more niche categories for these I advise nailing down your top 5 (if you have 5) and trying to use those.

    What I find to be true in restaurants who try to do their own local SEO is that they forget or don't pay attention to how they categorize the business.

    It tends to happen a lot with places that have a broad menu. The restaurant is an American restaurant but they serve seafood, and and have a a couple other menu options and instead of sticking with the main American restaurant (pretty common category in most citations) as the primary they substitute other categories.
    thanks for the replies guys.. in Google My Business, is it bad if I change my categories after I set them?

    Also, is there such thing as too many citations, or listings in unrelated directories that will actually hurt my seo efforts?

    I was reading that some directories are better than others for specific industries.... but is having your business listed in these directories, plus any others you can find a bad thing?

    Thanks again

  7. #7
    Desouza is offline Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Also, is it bad if on different citations, I use the exact same description for example?

    Or should I be creating a unique description, about me, etc for every citation? Seems like this would be a hard thing to do.

    Sorry for the questions, I tried researching for an answer without any luck. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Colan Nielsen's Avatar
    Colan Nielsen is offline Top Contributor - Local Search Pro
    Moderator
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,812
    Thanks
    1,088
    Thanked 778 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desouza View Post
    Also, is it bad if on different citations, I use the exact same description for example?

    Or should I be creating a unique description, about me, etc for every citation? Seems like this would be a hard thing to do.
    Great insight on these threads

    http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...scription.html


    http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...e-content.html
    Linda Buquet likes this.
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  9. #9
    Desouza is offline Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    Awesome Colan, thanks so much for that. Some mixed opinions but I think the majority vote goes to it not being a duplicate issue.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    HurricaneK8's Avatar
    HurricaneK8 is offline Local Search Pro++
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lucan
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 70 Times

    Re: question about categories on different business listings around the net?

    We've tested using different descriptions across citations and have found 0 difference in effectiveness of citations So you're probably safe to copy & paste away!

    What we do for citations is keep the official NAP & description (plus categories, store hours, logo) in our CRM system. That way if anyone in the office needs to fill out this information, they don't have to guess
    Hurricane K8
    Leavens Auto Group (London, Orillia, Chatham - Ontario,Canada)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question About Business Name Suffix
    By jvaquino in forum NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 09:49 AM
  2. Bright Local Question or Local Search Fourm Question
    By Goku770 in forum Local SEO & Ranking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •