More threads by aputtock

Reaction score
I keep running into a problem where clients provide me their address, but Google recognizes the ZIP code as being different.

Normally, I would edit the client's address to match Google - But wondering if this is the correct thing to do?

Example:
ADDRESS: 4202 Clay St Ne Washington DC 20748

Google SERP:
4202 Clay St Ne Washington DC 20748 - Google Search

[FONT=&quot] The ZIP codes indicate two very different areas -

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20748 (provided by client)
Google Maps

20019 (what the Big G says)
Google Maps
[/FONT]

Any insight would help, we run into these cases on the daily and want to make sure we are doing what's best.

Is Google always right? ;)

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} @font-face {font-family:"Segoe UI"; panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:8.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;} .MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;} .MsoPapDefault {margin-bottom:8.0pt; line-height:107%;} /* Page Definitions */ @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style>

I always check the other mapping systems.

Bing, Apple Maps, and Mapquest all show the 20019 zip. That's the one they need to go with.

Whether it's for mailing purposes, finding directions, or ranking, it always makes sense to go with the consensus from Google, Bing, Apple Maps, and Mapquest.

Hope that helps!

In most scenarios it's best to go with what Google thinks the physical location/address is.

So if Google currently has 20019 as the zipcode of your clients physical location you will want to go with that.

If that is totally wrong then I would suggest submitting an edit to Google Maps to correct the data that Google has.

I used to live in 20748 zip code when I was a teenager in the early 70s, it is Temple Hills Maryland, in Prince Georges county, it is not inside of DC.

What's the business name? I'm not seeing any businesses come up when I search for the "client provided" address, only zillow listings for homes.

The listing has not been set up yet as we are confirming with the client if they gave us the wrong ZIP code or if we should just match Google.

I've seen zip code issues like this before, but it's normally because the exact same street address exists in two different near by towns/zip codes. In this case, the address and zip they provided you do not exist according to USPS (which is normally what Google defaults to).

I'm thinking your client gave you the wrong zip code or street address. Unless...is this a brand new building that is still under construction? That might explain why the address doesn't exist in Google or the USPS.

-Cherie

In most scenarios it's best to go with what Google thinks the physical location/address is.

So if Google currently has 20019 as the zipcode of your clients physical location you will want to go with that.

If that is totally wrong then I would suggest submitting an edit to Google Maps to correct the data that Google has.

This is true for zip codes especially. Google hardly ever gets those wrong.

Sometimes Google will name a state highway or some other address their own way. In this instances I consult all mapping systems for the address they use as well as Yelp.

If the consensus is overwhelmingly against Google, I may use the consensus but I have never found that to be the case really.

Typically, it would be a 60/40 split in favor of Google with most of the other mapping systems agreeing with Google. But even if they didn't, I would find it hard to go against Google since you're doing all of this address matching to rank well on...Google.

So I'd say 99% of the time you're rolling with Google as Colan said.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom