More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Apologies if this is a duplicate but I just came across this post by Andrew Shotland:

Stop Ignoring Bing Webmaster Tools
Andrew Shotland
March 6th, 2015

At the beginning of every new engagement we ask clients for access to their Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Adwords data, Bing Webmaster Tools and any other analytics they have. 95% of the time, the client does not have Bing Webmaster Tools set up and 50% of the time they don?t want to go through the (very minor) hassle of setting it up. Most clients are pretty focused on Google of course, but in some cases Bing can still drive significant traffic. And ignoring Bing because it?s not Google can be a big mistake. Case in point:

On January 15th of this year a large news site client?s Bing referrals dropped by about 150,000 ? 200,000 sessions/day. So they were losing about 6 million visits per month. That?s not chump change. We did all of the standard technical SEO diagnoses and the site was clean. Google traffic looked fine. So we were pretty sure the problem was not on our end. The only thing I could do was email Bing?s webmaster support which I fully expected to be a black hole. I got a canned ?thanks for the submission? response and pretty much forgot about it. But you?ll be amazed at what happened next

Read more...

No I totally missed that one David. Thanks for sharing!

The main reason that people ignore Bing has to do with the fact that 80-90% of traffic a website receives come from Google.

One of my sites happens to be doing very well with Bing and it's sending tons of traffic, which was a surprise to me. I'm not one to totally ignore Bing but they definitely go on the back burner a lot.

Good to know that they are responsive to issues. I guess you can't totally write them off anymore. Thanks for sharing djbaxter.

One of my sites happens to be doing very well with Bing and it's sending tons of traffic, which was a surprise to me. I'm not one to totally ignore Bing but they definitely go on the back burner a lot.

Good to know that they are responsive to issues. I guess you can't totally write them off anymore. Thanks for sharing djbaxter.

Good to hear that from you. I have a website when checking it in Google analytic, I've not seen a single visitors that comes from Bing. I think that if you're getting decent amount of traffic, they should not be ignored. On the other hand, if you're getting any traffic, I'd probably spend time on how to improve my ranking in Google.

It's a work in progress. There are tons of issues with the site in the way of duplicate content but Bing for some reason, happens to be generous. The site has little authority at this point which is all being worked on but I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of traffic from Bing.

I should correct my use of the word "tons." Bing is sending a considerable amount more traffic then Google but there is not a lot of traffic to the site anyhow. I realized I didn't have Bing Webmaster Tools account set up. After reading this, I do not. Thanks!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom