More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Our chiropractor has two G+L pages:

1) The first is under just his name, no pictures, no description, not claimed, and it has 1 review.

2) The second has his correct business name, description, pictures, is claimed but no reviews.

We want to get rid of the first page with just the Dr's name but "transfer" the one review to our business page that we did claim.

I emailed the local support team at Google asking them to remove the page that is under the Dr's name (I consider it a duplicate even if they don't and it gets confusing) but they say they won't as it's legal to have two separate G+L pages one with the business name and another for an individual practitioner.

Okay but the problem is when you do a non branded search (such as "chiropractor city") the Dr's page comes up. We don't manage that page and we don't want it showing up. We want the second page with his business name to show up. What I was about to do is claim the first page, change the business name from the Dr's name to the real name and hope they merge. This gets rid of the duplicate (for now, it will probably just come back) but also merges it so we can keep the review.

Is there a better way to do this or is there anything wrong with this approach?

I want to make sure our business page shows up in search before the Dr's name and I want that one review! :)

I feel like this is kinda playing with fire. If the pages aren't broke and they're showing up in searches I wouldn't risk trying to take one down just because you prefer another page to show higher. If something goes wrong and Google removes both pages (or the wrong one) then you lose out on good rankings.

Why not just get the individual practitioner page claimed and optimize it?

Because we've already built the citations with the business name and the owner specifically wants the business name to show up. I understand him as that's what I would want as well because branding is such an important part of marketing, especially within his marketing strategy.

I feel like this is kinda playing with fire. If the pages aren't broke and they're showing up in searches I wouldn't risk trying to take one down just because you prefer another page to show higher. If something goes wrong and Google removes both pages (or the wrong one) then you lose out on good rankings.

Why not just get the individual practitioner page claimed and optimize it?

No there is a solution. I"m often like Eric and feel if it ain't broke don't fix it. BUT there is an easy fix for this. AND if the practice listing got knocked out by the Dr listing IMO IT'S BROKE and you need to fix it.

I've posted about it extensively here in the forum and train about the Dr dupe issue in detail. (Same goes for attys, realtors, ins agents in same office.) No time to explain.

Google won't delete the dupe so you have to MINIMIZE it. DO not claim to minimize it. Do user edits. One of the consultants I trained claimed the Dr dupes before reading my article below and even though it's allowed in guidelines the entire account immediately got suspended.

Details here. Read these 2 blog posts BOTTOM ONE 1st. It will explain everything.

Search Results doctor duplicates - Google Places Optimization Blog

Sorry under the gun on a bunch of projects, need to run.

Hi all,

Perfect timing as I am having exactly the same problem with a doctor/business name.

I also contacted Google and got the same response (they should both remain), as both were already claimed.

Its a real pain in the derrier as all the citations are built to the business name (no reviews), but the doctors name page has over 20 reviews (no citations) which we cant afford to loose.

In my latest email to Google I actually asked if they would mind switching the names between the 2 listings, so the 2 listings remain but I get what I want and so do they. I will post their response on here.

I am going to read Linda's article above now.

Have a good day!

Added:

Great article Linda it makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately it's my doctors listing that has all the reviews so minimising the listing and claiming the business name listing and optimising it will no no doubt cause a drop in rankings, maybe it's the only long term strategy I can implement though. Just hard explaining this to a client.

Hmmmmmm annoying, ill see what Google say about the name switch, does anyone have the best number to call, I seem to have no joy with the ones I Googled (long waiting times) My client is based in Los Angeles.

I'm beginning to think I may have to just build new citations for the doctors listing, and claim and minimise the business name page, she is the sole practitioner so I am hoping all will be good.

Why do Google makes our lives so difficult :mad:

They would never swap. Plus that would likely hurt your ranking and lose the reviews. Reviews are in a separate database and tied to the listing in part by CID and NAP. If you could switch it would be a different CID.

Our chiropractor has two G+L pages:

1) The first is under just his name, no pictures, no description, not claimed, and it has 1 review.

2) The second has his correct business name, description, pictures, is claimed but no reviews.

We want to get rid of the first page with just the Dr's name but "transfer" the one review to our business page that we did claim.

I emailed the local support team at Google asking them to remove the page that is under the Dr's name (I consider it a duplicate even if they don't and it gets confusing) but they say they won't as it's legal to have two separate G+L pages one with the business name and another for an individual practitioner.

Okay but the problem is when you do a non branded search (such as "chiropractor city") the Dr's page comes up. We don't manage that page and we don't want it showing up. We want the second page with his business name to show up. What I was about to do is claim the first page, change the business name from the Dr's name to the real name and hope they merge. This gets rid of the duplicate (for now, it will probably just come back) but also merges it so we can keep the review.

Is there a better way to do this or is there anything wrong with this approach?

I want to make sure our business page shows up in search before the Dr's name and I want that one review! :)
As Linda said don't claim the listing. Doing so without the authority from the doctor is against the Guidelines and risks all your accounts getting suspended. You don't need to claim it to make an edit to just have the doctors name for the listing. Also you can make sure the URL for that page points to one specificallly about the doctor even if its on the same website/domain.

As Linda said don't claim the listing. Doing so without the authority from the doctor is against the Guidelines and risks all your accounts getting suspended. You don't need to claim it to make an edit to just have the doctors name for the listing. Also you can make sure the URL for that page points to one specificallly about the doctor even if its on the same website/domain.
I misread where you said it was the chiropractor that you're working with. What I get for posting before coffee...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom