More threads by ccoke

ccoke

Reaction score
Recently made updates to a clients Google Places page (old dashboard). The changes were approved by Google and the listing is in active status. However when I go to check online see the listing, there is an unverified Google+ business page that has merged with it, so consequently there is missing information and images which is impairing the optimization of the listing. The client says no one has gone out and created this page, so we are stumped as to how to either get rid of it or claim so we can update/optimize.

Has anyone ever run into this before?

However when I go to check online see the listing, there is an unverified Google+ business page that has merged with it, so consequently there is missing information and images which is impairing the optimization of the listing. The client says no one has gone out and created this page, so we are stumped as to how to either get rid of it or claim so we can update/optimize.

Were you aware Google is now auto-upgrading everyone to a Google+ Business page?

I announced a few months ago, we've discussed in numerous threads and the upgrades have been escalating. Soon everyone will have the same type of page - essentially a merged Google Place page and a G+ Business page with all the features.

There are lots of problems and various states this listing could be in.

Please post link so we can take a look and FYI moving this to help and support where post for help with an indiv listing should go.

Also try to explain what's wrong or missing with this listing.

Hi Linda,

Yes I know that google is automatically updating accounts, but we have not seen any indication of this yet in our account(s).

So the account this listing is under still has the old dashboard (Google Places) which is 100% optimized and is an Active status. However when I search for the business online, the business shows up in the Local Carousel, but no image shows with the listing just a pin marker. When I click on the listing in the carousel to refresh the results, the listing in the Organic results has a Google+ link associated with it. When I click on that link i get taken to a Google+ business page that is empty of any information except for business name, phone number and web address. There are no photos or descriptions or anything that is in the Places Dashboard. So obviously a Google+ business page has been created somehow, but we cant figure out why or how to gain access to it.

Screenshot of SERPs
screenshot.jpg

Link to Google+ page displayed in serps: https://plus.google.com/103054040747782208321/about?hl=en

screenshot.jpg

I had a few situations like this. Check your G+ Dashboard/ listing to see if it has been marked as a duplicate. If so, Check your places dashboard for the new listing. I ended up having to delete the G+ Duplicate and then re-create the G+ page in places. All reviews, data etc... migrated over.

Thats the problem. There is no access to the Google+ dashboard. We dont know how that Google+ page got created.

I actually went ahead and called Google PLaces Support and after walking them through what I was seeing and having them recreate it on their end so they could see as well, they were stumped also as to what has happened. Both the support person on the call and supervisor had not seen this before. They think it is some hang up/ glitch on the data side that has prevented the data form pushing through.

I am leaning towards deleting the listing from the current Places Dashboard account and setting up a new account and just starting fresh vs waiting to see if/when this glitch clears up.

Thoughts?

NOTE: This is why you guys need to post links so we can see what you are talking about.

The problem is not at all what you described so I would have been barking up the wrong tree trying to explain the wrong problem.

And Dusty's well meaning advice was wrong too because we were both responding to what you said here:

You said: "there is an unverified Google+ business page that has merged with it"

That's NOT a G+ business page at all. That's just a plain old Duplicate Place page.

Here is the problem:
http://goo.gl/maps/9JPDR

1st off the name should not be in all caps. 2nd it looks like the original was marked CLOSED therefore it will not show up in search.

Therefore only the bare empty dupe PLACE page shows up.

Sorry was writing the post above and didn't see this one.

Thats the problem. There is no access to the Google+ dashboard. We dont know how that Google+ page got created.

I actually went ahead and called Google PLaces Support and after walking them through what I was seeing and having them recreate it on their end so they could see as well, they were stumped also as to what has happened. Both the support person on the call and supervisor had not seen this before. They think it is some hang up/ glitch on the data side that has prevented the data form pushing through.

I am leaning towards deleting the listing from the current Places Dashboard account and setting up a new account and just starting fresh vs waiting to see if/when this glitch clears up. Thoughts?

Again that is not a G+ page.

That is a plain old scraped dupe on maps. (A Place page.)

G+ pages don't show in maps and there is no follow button so it's a Place page.

What I don't know is what's inside your dash.

What is the name & address in the dash? That live listing looks like it may be closed because it moved or name changed???

When you click from Places dash to view live listing, please tell me where it goes and give me the link.

(DON'T DELETE AND START OVER - That's not the solution.)

OK when you posted the link you said that was the live listing that ranked so seemed like it was maybe just an unclaimed dupe. Glad I asked you to click from dash so we could see that live listing is the one connected to your dash. It's still a Place page, not a G+ page but is odd on several levels.

I'd continue working with support to see if they can fix.

OR if they can't resolve it post to the G forum and let me know the link and I can escalate to management.

Sorry Ccoke....Should have read your post in more detail...:eek:. Linda, Is that empty place page also called a "Shell Page" Google support has tossed out this word a few times.

I will go post in the G forum. I didn't get a good feeling that the support team at Google I was speaking with fully understood the issues.

To be honest, they thought the dupe was a Google+ page which probably led to more confusion.

Thanks for all of the help and guidance!

Well you didn't tell us in this thread that the listing only went live a few days ago.

That changes everything. I can't escalate, it's probably just temporarily stuck.

First off, I do apologize for the lack of clarity in my post. This is the first time I had ever seen this issue before and have had a hard time trying to explain it. I didn't really think the timing of it was that critical since normally in the past when I have claimed a listing it has gone live within a few days and without a hitch and when there has been a hiccup it was a common one with known expectations.

Linda, how many days do you think I should give this to see if it corrects itself?

Also, why do you reckon in the SERPs Google is adding a "Google+ Page" link since this is just a basic maps listing. It has been my experience the "Google+ Page+ link is only added to the SERPs when there is a verified merged listing.

Also, why do you reckon in the SERPs Google is adding a "Google+ Page" link since this is just a basic maps listing. It has been my experience the "Google+ Page+ link is only added to the SERPs when there is a verified merged listing.

Ahhh, so that's why you thought it was a G+ Page???

No. If there are no reviews on a plain old Place page Google put a link to G+ in the Serps. It's confusing. Mike has a post about it at Local U. But that's the way it's been for quite some time.

If it's a Place page with more than 5 reviews there will not be a G+ link.

If it's an upgraded or merged G+ page then the G+ link will show in serps either way, reviews or no.

As far as waiting, I'd wait 2 weeks. But I think I saw a thread at the G forum with someone who said they had been waiting 2 months for images to show.

We've also had various folks post here about updates to pages not going live and when they called support were told they were just stuck in limbo waiting for their page to be upgraded and once it was there changes went right through.

If not better in 2 weeks call support again. You'll get a different person who may give you a different story or have the answer.

Sorry but during updates things just get buggy.

FYI just talked to an ex-consulting client who called Places support about a different problem. She said Places support said:

"Any edits to our Places Dashboard are frozen as we are in the process of being upgraded to the G+ Local."

Thanks so much for the info. I dont guess they said for how long?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom