More threads by Amber Robinson

Reaction score
Sorry, Linda, Idk if this is in the right spot but thought it was interesting that Google no longer had restrictions on what name you can use.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+googleplus/posts/V5XkYQYYJqy

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="Put this update on your client's reviews page if in sensitive industry.">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

Last edited by a moderator:
No Amber, you are in the perfect spot. This ones for G+ page issues, so just right!

Thanks so much for bringing it up. I'd read about it but didn't have time to post yet, so perfect!

I think this change will make people more comfortable leaving sensitive and/or negative reviews again. One of the biggest challenges with our clients is that no one wants to leave a review with their name about their recent bankruptcy or divorce.

Really good point Alex!

In many sensitive industries like attys, plastic surgeons, mental health and others, if you have to use your real name, you just are not going to leave a review.

Would be good to point this update out on your client's review page that asks for or explains how to leave a Google review.

LOL, just posted this on Google+

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>
<div class="g-post" data-href="https://plus.google.com/101037504613481726969/posts/gC83b2EusGV"></div>​

Thanks again for posting Amber and for bringing up the review piece Alex!

Hello!

I actually got off the phone with Google support earlier today and the lady out of nowhere mentioned that getting reviews (both Google and around the web) would boost your rankings and, the shocker, you could write reviews anonymously on Google:eek:! I found this odd and chose not to believe it...but then I came across this post and am now questioning whether she was right in saying that!?

Under my G+ settings, I see that you can chose to remove the Reviews tab from displaying on your profile (I have to admit, I've never looked in here before...so this might not be new). Am I missing another setting in here to be able to write a review anonymously?

I tried to anonymously write a review using my own personal G account but couldn't figure it out:confused:. Do you know if this is possible? And if so, how?

Majority of my clients are plastic surgeons. Because of the nature of their industry, it is extremely tough cultivating reviews. If this is true, it could be HUGE for them!

Thanks!!

I agree with Alex and think that the policy change will make customers feel less vulnerable if they are allowed to review anonymously BUT I wonder if there will be a change in the review filter that ensures quality. I understand it's a big project for Google so I'll just hope for the best.:)

Who knows, Alex, maybe you can suggest the clients of your Divorce attorneys to leave reviews under cute dating site names ;)

SoccerMom80
1 month agoAttorney John Doe handled my messy divorce with ease and got great results! Highly recommended. Also, I'm 5'8", blonde hair, blue eyes, like long walks on the beach, and going to my sons soccer games.

I kid, I kid!:p

This isn't good. Google+ reviews will become a joke again.

But good find, Amber!

I actually got off the phone with Google support earlier today and the lady out of nowhere mentioned that getting reviews (both Google and around the web) would boost your rankings and, the shocker, you could write reviews anonymously on Google:eek:! I found this odd and chose not to believe it...but then I came across this post and am now questioning whether she was right in saying that!?

Under my G+ settings, I see that you can chose to remove the Reviews tab from displaying on your profile (I have to admit, I've never looked in here before...so this might not be new). Am I missing another setting in here to be able to write a review anonymously?

I tried to anonymously write a review using my own personal G account but couldn't figure it out:confused:. Do you know if this is possible? And if so, how?

Majority of my clients are plastic surgeons. Because of the nature of their industry, it is extremely tough cultivating reviews. If this is true, it could be HUGE for them!

No support should not be saying that. They aren't supposed to talk about "boosting ranking" and should not really tell you, you can write anonymously now.

Some confusion - that reviews tab on Local pages is for reviews the business leaves for other companies. But if you don't use that feature you can hide it.

There is no anonymous review setting per se, so you can't leave a review with your existing name page anonymously.

But you could set up a new page called "Anycutenicknameyouwant" and then no one would see your real name on the review. That's what this new name policy allows.

But as Phil alluded, although it can be a big help for someone like a cosmetic surgeon, it's also going to create problems.

For one. competitive sabotage with negative reviews will be easier. And fake self reviews will become more prevalent too. So it's really a double-edged sword! :(

But as Phil alluded, although it can be a big help for someone like a cosmetic surgeon, it's also going to create problems.

For one. competitive sabotage with negative reviews will be easier. And fake self reviews will become more prevalent too. So it's really a double-edged sword! :(

These people could have just made up fake names anyway and created a Google account. In fact, I imagine most of them did if it was of a sensitive nature.

I don't think this lowers the barrier to leaving fake reviews. If someone wants to go that far to sabotage you, they'll just create a fake account anyway. "John Doe" style. Same thing with fake self reviews.

Agree with you Joshua - I've posted examples of clearly bogus reviews on Google before in the name and shame section Linda has somewhere here.

It would be good though if when Google changed the policy, they did something about the filters. Most of the spam reviewers I've seen set up the account once, post a review and then don't use the account again for 12 months or more, if ever. Would be nice if Google made sure reviews from accounts like that were dealt with.

Course this is a slippery slope - people will be complaining about the filters even more. No matter what filters are in place, scammers will always try to find a way around them.

V hard to strike a balance between privacy and transparency.

Some finer points...

<a href="http://marketingland.com/faq-new-google-91445">Everything You Need To Know About The New Google+ Name Policy: An Explainer</a>

Thanks Linda. This whole thing still makes me a little leery though.

I'd like to just see them set up more barriers to entry for accounts. Requiring phone numbers, better spam busting.

However, whatever barriers they set up, it makes it that much harder for real people to review as well.

Slippery slope indeed.

I don't normally see many fake reviews. Or, at least, a massive amount of 5 star reviews, all at one time, with zero pictures. Do you guys see that a lot?

Phil just did a great post with some of the pros and cons.

<a href="http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/2014/07/17/real-names-not-needed-for-google-plus-reviews-smart-or-stupid-move/">Real Names Not Needed for Google+ Reviews: Smart or Stupid Move? | LocalVisibilitySystem.com</a>

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom