More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
One of the things I teach in my Advanced Google My Business Training is how to learn to think like Google, so that as an honest business owner or consultant, you don't accidentally and innocently trip a spam filter.

spammyplace.jpg

Much of the algo and the unwritten rules of Google Local are due to spammers. But what many don't realize is that it's not just individual spammers. Certain industries are under increased scrutiny by Google because there are "Spam Rings" that use every trick in the book and do spam on a massive scale.

Bill Hartzer reports...

<a href="http://www.billhartzer.com/pages/industry-spam-rings-plague-google-local-cause-problems/">Industry Spam Rings Plague Google Local, Cause Problems | Bill Hartzer</a>
(Just a snippet - so click the link to read full post.)

I recently met with an unidentified source who is very familiar with the inner workings at Google Local. He explained to me that Google is very aware of “industry spam rings”. That’s the exact words that the Google employees have called this issue.

...To combat the industry spam rings, Google is doing several things. For example, local listings in these industries are subject to a manual location review. Google will manually go to the location to confirm that the NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number) data is correct–and that the business actually serves customers at that location. During a manual review, Google may be looking for suite numbers of other businesses that the company may own, as well...

...Google manually verifies some of the listings, especially in certain industries that are in the “industry spam rings”. This can cause a problem for some businesses, however, as there could be landlord issues. Some landlords do not allow tenants to post their signs outside the business.

Manually going to business locations - feet-on-the-street local listing verification!

Bill said his source identified that some of the industries involved in spam rings are:

HVAC (Heating and Air Conditioning)
Lawncare
Plumbing
Locksmiths
Nail Salons
Hair Salons
Roofers

So if you have clients in those industries, just realize you need to be extra careful setting up listings, as those niches are under heavy scrutiny, due to spam.

Nail Salons??? That one kinda threw me. Usually it's more high ticket niches.

What are your thoughts???
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

spammyplace.jpg

Thanks Linda. Guess I'll need to start checking on some of my clients in a few of those areas.

Scott, someone like you that crosses your T's an dots your I's and knows all the unwritten rules should not have to worry to much.

I'd just be careful with new clients in these industries to be sure NAP is rock solid, location is rock solid and of course address is hidden in listings that need to be.

I get why businesses like roofers, etc.. do this, the algo really doesn't serve them very well at all. But I'm trying to figure out why a nail salon or hair salon would do this, unless it is a service that comes to your home??

With nail salons, the only thing I can think of is that that's a highly mobile-searched industry. And I think they convert at a higher rate and quicker. I talked to some girls about this, and it seems to be a common thing to look up a place to get your nails done at the last minute, so it seems to make sense. And my guess is there's usually a lot of competition. All hypothoses, but it may be that they're valuable because of volume and conversion rather than being a high ticket item. Just my guess...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom