More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
We knew this day was coming! But I've been dreading it.

Google has officially announced Classic maps will disappear soon and will no longer be an option.

If you do local search research you know that Classic is infinitely better for local research.
New maps hides info we need to see and is missing key features. I use Classic for all my troubleshooting.

Way to put a crimp in my workflow Google!

H/t to Barry Schwartz who broke the news over at Search Engine Land.

<a href="http://searchengineland.com/google-to-sunset-their-old-version-of-google-maps-218813">Google To Sunset Their Old Version Of Google Maps</a>

Here is the official thread at the Google Maps forum from Abby.

<a href="https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!category-topic/maps/Zgqoqsvfipc">Announcing the full roll-out of the updated Google Maps for desktop - Google Product Forums</a>

In 2013, we previewed a new version of desktop Maps and since then, we?ve been continually improving the product to provide a richer, more engaging, and more helpful mapping experience. We will soon be rolling out the updated version of Google Maps to everyone. After the update, you'll no longer be able to use the older, classic Google Maps.

The new Lite mode

As part of the update, we?ve built a completely new Lite mode to provide a faster, streamlined version of Maps. Maps may automatically update to Lite mode if you are using an older browser (such as Internet Explorer 8 or 9).

For more information about the full roll-out of the update, please visit this Help Center article.

Google Maps will continue to improve over time, and we appreciate any feedback you may have. You can send our developers your thoughts through the Feedback tool, or share them here on this thread.

Her announcement is followed by lots of complaints and not a single post from anyone that's happy about this change. And most of these people appear to be consumers no local search pros. I was thinking maybe the average person liked new maps, but from the feedback so far that does not appear to be the case.

My reply:

I'm a Google Top Contributor for the Local product - so maybe should not say this, but I will...

Please leave us an option to use Classic maps.

New Maps is missing lots of features we need for local listing research. I use Classic 20 times a day when helping Google users at the Google Business forum and my Local Search Forum. I knew this day was coming, but it's going to be really difficult to deal with the shortcomings of new maps and will impact my productivity supporting business owners that have problems with their Google listing.

Should we have a farewell party now?

Or wait and have a wake after she's gone?

What do you think???

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="www.signature9.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/thumbs-down-simon-cowell-300x230.jpg">

Any reason for a party works for me however this feels more like a wake sort of occasion:/ Oh well- " thar she blows" .

To quote Kaycie, this just "blows" We certainly knew this could happen and dread the day that it will happen. I really hope they leave it as an option, but hey, it's G, so who knows.

To cross pollinate the whining discussion...

Here is our convo about this at the <a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/101614215978783501873">Local Search Pros G+ Community</a>. :mad:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom