More threads by Mopo100

Reaction score
Since my Google places dashboard upgraded to the new version about 3 months ago (UK), it is still showing zero actions, meaning according to the system no one has clicked on my listing.

I know this to be wrong and I'm getting worried that I could get dropped from the places 'ten box' completely as the system will think no one is clicking on my listing.

Up until now I've ranked well for several key phrases, but have actually dropped out of 'tenbox' for a key phrase today for no apparent reason.

I saw some other postings here relating to this, but was more to do with analytics. This is my actual *Places* dashboard that's showing a flat line of zero actions.

I sent an email about this to the Google local help team but had no reply.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi Mopo100,

I've seen 0 actions on a few of my clients NEW dashboard insights as well.

I think in some cases it may be that the dash is still in the fine-tuning stage (although the insights were supposed to be one of the big things that would work properly with the new dash :eek:)

Is your page upgraded to have the social features yet? If so, check out the insights from the G+ dashboard instead of the Places dash. I think they work better there.

Hi Colan

Must admit I've never even heard of the term 'insights'. So i guess I haven't got the social features, I can't see any (although the constantly evolving Google Places / local / plus etc etc has become somewhat confusing to me)

I'm based in the UK, and my new 'Places' dashboard upgraded several months ago. I've got thousands of impressions recorded, but as I say zero actions (clicks). I don't really do much with Google plus, apart from the have the basic page that is automatically connected/merged to my 'Places' listing, and can have reviews on it.

I initially thought it was probably the well publicised delays/tweaks that were occurring with the new dashboard roll out, but it's still showing zero actions after 3 to 4 months.

My main concern is my places listing in the seven box (or whatever it's called). If the system 'thinks' I'm not getting any actions/clicks despite thousands of recorded impressions, presumably it's going to dump me out of the seven box sooner or later. It may have already done so today on one of my most important search terms.

It's not so much that I really need to know the stats of how many times my listing is clicked, I just don't want the system thinking I don't get any and dropping me.

Don't know what to do, emailed Google local help a month ago but no reply.

"Insights" is what the analytics are referred to now in the new dashboard. Is it different in the UK?

If you want to share a link to the G+ Local page I can have a look for you? I could at least tell you if you can access the G+ dashboard or not.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing..

I'm just referring to the two 'activity' graphs on the main page of my Places dashboard. The top one is a blue line showing impressions, and the bottom one is green showing 'actions' (clicks). I'm assuming they refer only to the performance of my 'Places' listing, and have nothing whatsoever to do with my organic performance.

I'm not registered for / or use the main Google Analytics.

When I log in to my Google account via my G+ business page, I'm taken to my Places dashboard, which I guess is what's supposed to happen given that the Places dashboard is where you edit your listing.

I can post the link of my G + business page, but I'm not sure how it would shed light on why my Places listing is registering zero clicks in my Places dashboard?

Please do tell me if I'm wrong though, as I appreciate the time you are taking to try and help.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing..

I'm just referring to the two 'activity' graphs on the main page of my Places dashboard. The top one is a blue line showing impressions, and the bottom one is green showing 'actions' (clicks).

That sounds like the old dashboard...unless it is different in the UK. You mentioned that you have the new dashboard....

May well be, although I assumed it was the new one. I've actually forgotten why I thought that as it was several months ago, but I ticked a box in my account to opt to have the new dashboard quicker than usual and there was a dormant period before it went live, so I just thought it must be the new dashboard. It's definitely different to the old one but there no direct link or mention of G+ anywhere on it.

Even so, it's still not registering activity/clicks on my Places listing, only impressions.

Well, if it is the old dash, that's the problem. The analytics haven't been accurate for some time. Pretty much ever since the engineers started putting their focus into the new dash.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think Google would drop your ranking if you are actually getting actions on your page.

Yes I didn't think the UK had the new dash way back then.

FYI the Places stats are often wrong or broken and often show no actions so I don't really worry about it too much. Although there is a severe penalty state called purgatory where there are no stats at all, so that may also have been part of the reason Colan asked for dash screenshots.

But if you post a link we can at least tell if it's a merged page or not or check to see if there are any violations that could be causing a penalty.

If no violations and you are ranking fine, then I would not worry about the stats.

If need further help, we need all the info requested in the rules for this forum.
Theses issues get complicated and the answer is ALWAYS - it depends on the specific situation.
So we need to see what we are talking about or we'll be wasting time shooting in the dark.

Rules for the Help & Support Forum - Please Read Before Posting

Thanks, Linda

That's the trouble. I don't know if they are actually 'aware' that I'm getting actions on my page if the graph shows zero.

Like you say, it may be that everyone on the old dash is showing zero actions, but I doubt it as there would be loads of posters on here also worried they might get dropped out of the sevenbox.

What I really need is a Google employee to do a quick check on my Places account/dash to make sure.

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Hi Linda

Here's my G+ page: https://plus.google.com/118051600774711443858/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Like you say, it may be that everyone on the old dash is showing zero actions, but I doubt it as there would be loads of posters on here also worried they might get dropped out of the sevenbox.

No, the zero actions part is not widespread issue, although I do see it fairly often since I look at anywhere from 20 to 100 listings every week. But the old dash in general is broken.

So again, don't worry too much and if you would like us to take a look to see if there are any issues please post the required information.

Thanks Mopo100

Looks like you may have some serious category violations.

Are you including your business name in the categories?

---------- Post Merged at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Adding city name or keywords to categories is considered spam and can get the listing deleted.

Even just having city in their once is a violation.

Having city keyword, city keyword over and over like it in categories like it appears you do is really trouble. Could cause deletion, suspension or ranking penalty.

Not sure what you mean?

My business name is the generic term over here for the type of service, it just hapens that I also have the same exact generic domain

Everyone involved in the same business uses the same generic term or a close version of it

---------- Post Merged at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:26 PM ----------

which listing / link are you referring to?

I've had the same listing / wording for years, and always ranked well, no problems

No we are talking categories, not name. Although your name is also your keywords so your name is also in your categories.

It looks to us and to Google like the categories you have listed somewhere are:

Removal Service,Moving & Storage Service,Man Van London,Man With A Van London,Man and Van London

Where are you seeing the categories?

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Ah, ok... those categories are actually left overs from my previous listing before the new places / dash upgrade

So best to delete those?

In categories, city is not allowed at all. Name is not allowed either.

And Man Van or Man with a Van as keywords or services written that way is also a violation. It's also a violation to repeat the same or similar category. So if you count each single violation - combined there are like 8.

Ah, ok... those categories are actually left overs from my previous listing before the new places / dash upgrade

Still don't know what you have going on.

Because if you truly were upgraded from the old dash to new dash you could no longer even see the old dash and those categories would be gone.

And THIS listing: https://plus.google.com/118051600774711443858/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Is not merged with G+ so you don't have a different dash there.

So again no idea what you refer to with the new dash upgrade. Nothing is really matching up for me.

Ok, I've just deleted all of those, so there are now just two categories... 'Moving and Storage' and 'Removals'... does that look ok?

(those categories were set up about 8 years ago and I've never really thought about it since, definitely not from a spammy perspective, just the main generic search terms)

---------- Post Merged at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:41 PM ----------

The whole thing is just one big confusing mess if you ask me. When I got the new dash (or what I thought was the new dash) those old categories were still showing in my edit listing, so I thought I might as well keep them as they hadn't previously caused any problems and I had always listed well in the seven box thing). I've deleted them all now, as I had no idea they were a violation

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom