More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Have seen 2 reports of new directory links in the SERPs. Both reports from the UK.

It 1st came up yesterday over at Webmaster World and we've been discussing there. Here is a blacked out screen shot from that thread.

v2yk.jpg

NOTE the links to Yell, Yelp and 118.com right above the pack.

NOTE TOO the tooltip that points out we are giving you additional choices for local search.

Sounds like Google is addressing anti-competition complaints.

Here is another example from forum member Nick Rink who alerted me on Google+ today.

new+local+search+results.png

NOTE on both, the link to "Google Places Results" above the pack.

I'm going to ask Nick for a full page screen shot because I want to see if the organics still have lots of directories in addition to those small links above the pack.

Then I also want to see where that Google Places Results link goes to.
Is Places search back possibly???

So far this appears to be a test and so far only reports are from UK, so may or may not hit the US. Keep us posted if anyone else notices anything.

new+local+search+results.png

v2yk.jpg

Here's a full screenshot for you Linda. Still plenty of regular directory listings appearing in the organics.

italian restaurants in wimbledon   Google Search.jpg

From what I've seen so far, if you run a "keyword only" search with no location then the Yell/Yelp links show businesses for the entire UK. However, if you run a "keyword + location" search then the Yell/Yelp results also focus on that location.

Have had a quick look at Google.ie and Google.fr and there's no sign of anything similar there yet, so it may just be a test here in the UK.

italian restaurants in wimbledon   Google Search.jpg

Thanks Nick, but wait. That screen shot - the SERPs do not have the little directory links above the pack. That's just the regular old SERPs?

Then I also want to see where that Google Places Results link goes to.

Is Places search back possibly???

There's my "doh" moment for the day, apologies but I uploaded the wrong screenshot! Let's try this one ...

italian restaurants in wimbledon - Google Search.jpg

The Google Places link goes straight to Google Maps. Think it must be a test as I no longer see the directory links on Chrome, just Firefox.

italian restaurants in wimbledon - Google Search.jpg

In any case, it is good to see my article from some months ago served as a sort of a prophecy :)

So true Nyag. Forgot about that post!

I should change your user title from "Noted Expert" to "Local Search Prophet"! :p

It is interesting that Google first rolls it out in the UK. However, there might be some logic as the majority of the plaintiffs in this case were based either there or in Ireland. But I still expected it would be launched simultaneously across all countries.

Yes, interesting. Wonder if it will roll out here.

There's my "doh" moment for the day, apologies but I uploaded the wrong screenshot! Let's try this one ...

The Google Places link goes straight to Google Maps. Think it must be a test as I no longer see the directory links on Chrome, just Firefox.

Thanks Nick, was really curious about that link and thanks for re-uploading the new screenshot.

Here is a reference from Search Engine Roundtable: Google Search With Additional Choices For Local Search Providers

Boy, Nyag: You followed the details this past Spring and there they are...very much in the context of what Google proposed and you reported.

You further reported that this proposed Google version is not ideal in your mind.

Very interesting. Were I the EEC I'd want hard data from the results. I'd want before and after data. If I didn't like the results I'd go for a second round of more extensive, more highlighted visible changes.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom