More threads by cliclocal

Reaction score
Is it against Google maps regulations for 2 different business entities to operate out of the same location/physical address? Would it penalize either one of the businesses?

Thanks

Totally depends on the situation. There are a bunch of different scenarios, so not enough details to tell...

The question is not just will she penalize, it's also will she get confused and merge. The other question is whether it's a violation. And the answer is - it depends...

Is this 2 totally different businesses, totally different industries, different owners, different phones?

OR is it more like 2 Chiropractors, same industry but 2 different practices, sharing the same office.

Is it brick and mortar? Is it same owner and 2 businesses that are closely related enough it may appear to Google to be more like 2 different divisions of the same company?

Or is it a home business, single owner that has a painting business AND a remodeling business.

Or is it a home business, wife is a photog and husband a plumber. 2 different owners and totally separate industries?

There are probably 10 other scenarios and questions I could ask but don't have time.

Tell us more and we can try to be more specific, because the answer really is... it depends.

If you care to share links we can look and maybe even give more direct answers.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The first business is "Ameriserve" a plumbing company. Well established with strong online presence.
10 Hilton St Easton, PA 18042
http://www.ameriservenow.com/

The second business is a big HVAC franchise acquired by the same owner.
"One Hour Heating & Air"
Easton HVAC Contractors – One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning in Easton, PA 610-258-9291

We were thinking of adding "Suite A" within the same location
10 Hilton St Suite A Easton, PA 18042 for "One Hour Heating & Air"

The question is if we do this, will google even recognize
"One Hour Heating & Air" as a legitimate business location? and if it does would this affect the ranking and standings of "Ameriserve"?

your thoughts?

Thank You!!

I can't speak to whether this is within or without Google's guidelines. Linda is better at knowing the rules than I am and I'm sure she can brief you on that.

However, when it comes to ranking, I can help you there a little. I think your worst case scenario is One Hour has a harder time ranking because it is associated with the same address (as long as you have a unique phone number of course). I currently have two businesses I perform SEO for with the same owner and VERY similar names in VERY similar industries and the exact same address (two different phone numbers). Two completely different businesses, just similar industries, similar names, exact same location. So, we've come about as close to being seen as duplicate businesses as possible and we're still ranking in local search for both. Now, one of the businesses is lagging behind the other significantly in local search and I believe that has everything to do with being too similar. However, for awhile, it wouldn't show up at all. Finally, it starting showing up around a month ago but it's still suppressed but we're okay with that because we rank so well organically.

Anyways, that's been my experience. I look at your situation and if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep in mind that One Hour may have a harder time ranking locally, not organically. But there's not much you can do about that anyway. Your location is your location, you know?

Thanks Joshua for replying. Reminded me I started to research then got busy and pulled away.

Not much time now, but I'll just share a few thoughts.

This may not be a clear cut violation to claim both. In my eyes from what I remember when I peeked (and I only peeked) it would appear to be 2 different companies.

But realize the other risks are ranking problems, merging, or Google swapping out the web sites. If a merge or swap happens then you'd have the Plumbing listing not ranking for plumbing because it has the HVAC cats or site attached or some other type of scrambled mess. So...

1) If you decide to create the 2nd listing I'd do in different account for sure so if by chance it gets suspended, it won't take down the mature listing.

2) I never advocate making up a "fake" suite as a way to differentiate a business. But then I'm a purist about the rules. Others might say it's OK.

The guidelines state: "Do not create a listing or place your pin marker at a location where the business does not physically exist."

If there is really no Suite 1, then they really aren't located in Suite 1.

3) To have any chance of pulling this off you should not have ANY overlapping categories. Right now AmeriServe has HVAC related cats. Those need to go.

I'd also be sure they don't have those KWs on the site. The 2 sites I don't think should be cross linking or referencing each other or using crossover KWs.

So short of adding a fake suite, I'd just make sure each has a different phone and try to keep the cats, KWs and everything else you can as different and related to each industry as you can.

Does that help?

Thanks Joshua for replying. Reminded me I started to research then got busy and pulled away.

Not much time now, but I'll just share a few thoughts.

This may not be a clear cut violation to claim both. In my eyes from what I remember when I peeked (and I only peeked) it would appear to be 2 different companies.

But realize the other risks are ranking problems, merging, or Google swapping out the web sites. If a merge or swap happens then you'd have the Plumbing listing not ranking for plumbing because it has the HVAC cats or site attached or some other type of scrambled mess. So...

1) If you decide to create the 2nd listing I'd do in different account for sure so if by chance it gets suspended, it won't take down the mature listing.

2) I never advocate making up a "fake" suite as a way to differentiate a business. But then I'm a purist about the rules. Others might say it's OK.

The guidelines state: "Do not create a listing or place your pin marker at a location where the business does not physically exist."

If there is really no Suite 1, then they really aren't located in Suite 1.

3) To have any chance of pulling this off you should not have ANY overlapping categories. Right now AmeriServe has HVAC related cats. Those need to go.

I'd also be sure they don't have those KWs on the site. The 2 sites I don't think should be cross linking or referencing each other or using crossover KWs.

So short of adding a fake suite, I'd just make sure each has a different phone and try to keep the cats, KWs and everything else you can as different and related to each industry as you can.

Does that help?

I agree with everything said here. Some really great advice that I hadn't thought of to mention. Both of the businesses I mentioned having success with fall into what Linda just said you should do.

Also, we didnt use a fake suite. We just used the exact same address.

Good stuff.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom