More threads by Joseph Dang

Reaction score
https://plus.google.com/108773320148425272618/about?gl=us&hl=en

So I just moved locations, and changed it in the dashboard. Going by the guidelines, I entered in

Line 1 - Street Address
Line 2 - Suite XXX
Line 3 - City, State Zip

Google changes this to:

1901 1st Avenue #196
San Diego, CA 92101

Should I just run with this? Not worry about it and change my citations etc.?

On top of all that, when I search for myself, Google will display the new address, but pin it at the old one, 15 miles away. This just has to work itself out or should I contact Google?

Hi Joseph,

My advice for your first question is to not worry too much about the formatting Google is displaying your address, as long as it's accurate. Just be as consistent as you can possibly be with the way you enter your NAP across the web and you should be fine.

---------- Post Merged at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:22 PM ----------

On top of all that, when I search for myself, Google will display the new address, but pin it at the old one, 15 miles away. This just has to work itself out or should I contact Google?

How long ago did you make the edit?

Thanks Colan! So are you suggesting I just go ahead and copy Google's formatting to be safe? I don't mind. I just don't want to do that, then find out Google reverts the address to the way it was entered/preferred :D

I can go ahead and match their formatting.

So are you suggesting I just go ahead and copy Google's formatting to be safe?

No, not at all. Just use the formatting that you use on your website and be consistent. Google will often change the formatting and third party directories have their own formatting as well.

Phil Rozek painted an excellent picture on one of his posts. I'll try and paraphrase. All you can do is feed Google consistent data, how Google decides to chew it and spit it out is out of our control, so don't worry about it.

Colan is right.

Plus she SEES what's in your dash. She knows the address you entered inside, even if she chooses to display it differently.

Just like she SEEs and ranks you in part based on your website title tag, but then re-writes it and shows something different in search.

AND like she knows all your cats and you can rank for them, even if she only displays one on your listing. :)

I have something similar where Google strips out the suite number no matter where I put it. How do I stop Google from stripping out the suite number?

I'm having this problem too and reported to Jade. Thought it was just this one listing because Suite is 400-B

I kept putting on line 2 and G+ interface would move to line one and changed to #400, no suite and no B. And suite on line 1 is a violation.

Sometimes it would strip the B and sometimes it would just leave out the suite like in your case. I've tried like 8 times now all different ways and formats and nothing will stick. After 5 minutes it either deletes suite or moves to line one and changes it to #400 (no B). In my case it's happening in G+.

I'll let her know it's a bug and not just on that one listing.

CAN YOU TELL ME... are you working in the G+ interface, old Places dash or new Places dash?

Also Louis are you saying Suite is still in dash, just not showing live?
Or are you saying it strips it out of dash? And again if so, which dash?

I'm having this problem too and reported to Jade. Thought it was just this one listing because Suite is 400-B

I kept putting on line 2 and G+ interface would move to line one and changed to #400, no suite and no B. And suite on line 1 is a violation.

Sometimes it would strip the B and sometimes it would just leave out the suite like in your case. I've tried like 8 times now all different ways and formats and nothing will stick. After 5 minutes it either deletes suite or moves to line one and changes it to #400 (no B). In my case it's happening in G+.

I'll let her know it's a bug and not just on that one listing.

CAN YOU TELL ME... are you working in the G+ interface, old Places dash or new Places dash?

Also Louis are you saying Suite is still in dash, just not showing live?
Or are you saying it strips it out of dash? And again if so, which dash?

New Dash G+ and it strips it out completely from the dashboard and the live listing. It happened for this particular listing around May 2013 when the dashboard upgraded itself. This business used to have a knowledge graph back then as well and once the suite number could no longer be included everything with their Google visibility went screwy.

I have the same issue in the new dash. I input the following:

Line 1: 14 Hughes
Line 2: Suite B102

It is changed to:
Line 1: 14 Hughes b102
Line 2:

This is in the new dash. Any help would be great!

Cheers.

I had a similar issue for a law firm, when I went searching around at all the doc offices in my area and the building it was in too, I realized they were mostly all set up that way #xxx.

Any news on this issue?

I now have 2 business pages that will not include the Suite number on any line.

Thanks

Hi,

I've been trying since my Places listing for my business's actual address, which includes a letter (10 B Graves Avenue), and the "B" has kept getting dropped. I then decided to go with Suite instead (10 Graves Avenue, Suite B), and encountered all the problems described here. At this point we've got "10 Graves Avenue Suite B" all on the first line, no comma. Not great, but better than when it read "#B"!

I've been tearing my hair out with this one trying to make NAP consistent across listings--Google is not the only problem here, and it's not clear to me how much this matters (for example, why is suite appearing on line 1 a violation?) A lot of listings don't even allow for a second line, so I've decided to leave well enough alone. But I'm concerned that our ocitations aren't adequately counting when it comes to rankings.

This is a big issue for us in that if we simply let G+ style stick, people would show up at the downstairs suite (10 A). There's also been the matter of the space between "10" and "B"--without it, mail sometimes gets addressed to "108 Graves Avenue," but trying to get that consistent has been pretty tough!

I'm sorry Joanna, I feel your pain.

Have you tried phone support?

Hi Linda,

Thanks for replying. I have spoken to them--many, many times. I've gotten into the habit of changing the listing via phone support whenever possible, since the changes we've made on our own haven't always stuck, or worse yet have resulted in existing, correct information simply disappearing.

We've had a lot of problems since we switched from our old Places listing to our new Google+ Local one at the end of September; pretty much every week, there's been some Google+ saga. (The biggest one at the moment has to do with a missing profile photo/no entry sign, so I'm waiting with bated breath for that little bug to resolve.)

Anyway, this is the best solution we've been able to reach. I wasn't aware, though, that it was considered a violation to have the suite in the first line--I figured the support team members knew what they were doing. The question now is whether to let it stand.

Glad to have found this forum, as it's been very difficult to know what to do at times, and I've spent countless hours spinning my wheels.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom