More threads by Optimize Prime

Solutions
Reaction score
In the past you have never been able to assign management to another person for a Google Places for Business listing. You've always had to claim the listing into a new account, especially if you're an agency, and your client has no clue what account the listing is connected to.

More recently, in the new Google Places dashboard launched in April 2013, you will be notified that the listing is owned in another account and then prompted to request admin rights. Holy cow this is frustrating!! I think that may be coming to and end because something interesting has just happened....

I had one of my clients add me as a manager to their Google+ Local Page. Since they had created this page in the new dashboard and it is linked to the Places listing, both the Places listing AND the G+ page are now showing in MY dashboard. I can update and change the listing as if I owned it. This is a BIG win for Google if they continue to do this!!

Na. Mike talks about transferring ownership and makes everything really confusing. It's very simple. In the new dashboard, assign a manager to the Google+ local page and the listing will tag along with it. That way a customer is not releasing ownership.

It's very simple. In the new dashboard, assign a manager to the Google+ local page and the listing will tag along with it. That way a customer is not releasing ownership.

Hate to admit it, but I'm a wee bit confused. In the above quote, what is the difference between a G+ Local page and a listing?

Optimize Prime, if you can do a video demonstrating what you are talking about, as you have done before (and they are really helpful) that would be greatly appreciated.

Hate to admit it, but I'm a wee bit confused. In the above quote, what is the difference between a G+ Local page and a listing?

I think folks are flipping the words and calling a Local Google+ page a Google+ Local page.

Colan see this post.

Dan Pritchett, who plays a significant role in the dashboard development at Google, said this:
"To be clear, with the new dashboard the G+ page and the listing are tightly associated. Every G+ Local page is backed by a listing and once you get a G+ Local page, your places listing is tied to it. Removing one always removes the other."

So even Google uses the wrong page name and is calling a G+ Business page a G+ Local page.
As you know, <a href="https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2531255?hl=en" target="_blank">Google+ Local</a> is the PUBLIC or consumer-facing name THEY gave the page
that used to be called a Place page. (Not merged with G+ or anything.)

I'm amazed sometimes that we are not all stark raving crazy in this business!

Thanks so much OP.

I'm very familiar with all of the things in your video. I can see where my confusion is coming in. It's a name game thang that's throwing me off.

I'm just like Linda in that I always refer to a Google Places page as a G+ Local Page whereas you are referring to the upgraded page as a G+ Local Page.

The upgraded version that's a hybrid of the Places page and a G+ Business page (which you pointed out how to achieve with the G+ widget in the new dash) has always been known to me as a Local G+ page. (subtle and confusing difference)

Thanks for the vid.

Hey guys,

I just tried this method with a client that has the old dashboard. IT worked!!
They need to have a Google+ Local page built and merged with the old dashboard listing though.

The really good part.....
The listing was pending in the old dashboard and now, in my account and the new dashboard, the listing is fully live and showing impressions and actions under the insight tab.

Woot!

From the old account
1. You need to have created a Google+ Local page for your business.
2. The places listing must be merged with the + Page. (This will not work unless they are merged.)
3. From the Google+ page dashboard - assign a manager to the page.

In the new account
1. Accept the management role. This is done quickest by visiting the Google+ page. Once you visit it, a pop-up message will appear to accept the role.
2. On the 'About' tab of the Google+ Local page, Click on the blue "Edit business information" button.
3. Don't make any changes and click on the 'Done editing' button at the bottom.

Go to the new Google Places Dashboard and you now have full editing capabilities on your clients listing!

IF you've already merged or really have a pressing need maybe.

But FYI for others reading that who may not be as advanced as Ryan is...

Google is STILL SAYING WAIT - Don't create a G+ page and don't manually merge.

Google is automatically upgrading everyone from Places to G+ and they recommend you wait for that auto upgrade.

Google is STILL SAYING WAIT - Don't create a G+ page and don't manually merge.

Google is automatically upgrading everyone from Places to G+ and they recommend you wait for that auto upgrade.

I agree that you wait until your account is upgraded.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom