More threads by Gio Greenard

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a quick one. Most of my clients don't have a Google Plus page, so I simply create them a Plus local page (places) and try and get it ranking. Will I gain anything apart from more headaches but setting up a Google plus page and migrating the 2 together.

I am kinda happy just to carry on as I am unless the client requests a Google Plus page.

Gees I wish it was still called Places it's confusing even writing this post...

My general feeling from everything I've read suggests that there still seems to be certain glitches happening with businesses who have attempted the merger on their own. So, if it's not necessary to merge now, wait until Google does it for you.

However, if you are the adventurous type and want to get a feeling for how the merged listings work, go for it.

Totally agree with Colan. Still buggy, could end up sending you down the rabbit hole chasing bugs and doing extra work. Plus there are still some features missing.

I mean when it works it's pretty cool, but for your average SMB that's not really going to do much with social anyway - not worth pushing the envelope right now.

So I also say wait unless a client is really pushing for it and wants to pay you extra to create a G+ page and merge.

Also agree with Colan though, you may want to do one as a test so that you at least get to see and work with the + backend. That way it won't be totally foreign to you once we get to the full upgrade and everyone goes to +.

Thanks for the input!!

Yeah I will hold of for the time being I have enough headaches with Google Plus Local currently without adding to my problems.

If you use the same Gmail address to create both a Google Plus account and Google Plus local listing will you still have to merge them together?

Yes even if in same account. Merging is not automatic and you must initiate it.

However keep in mind service area businesses with address hidden are not eligible for merging yet.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, this is why I've been reluctant to even set up a Google+ profile.

Is it risky to have a Google+ using the same account even if I don't attempt to merge the two features?

Yes even if in same account. Merging is not automatic and you must initiate it.

However keep in mind service area businesses with address hidden are not eligible for merging yet.

OK I wasn't sure which way to read your initial question. I see now.

No you should be fine setting up a G+ Business page in same account. At least I've not heard of a case of Google auto-merging them and that should not happen.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom