More threads by nilesuan

Reaction score
I'm new to Local Search, so I've got questions that hopefully gets answered.

Question 1: I've always wondered, what should I prioritize in my optimization, the G+ Page or my website?

Question 2: How do you go about verifying phone numbers? Do you tell the client that a call is coming? Or do you signup for phone reroutes? What's the best way todo it without breaking the rules?

1) Both are a priority. But when I was doing optimization for clients I would do the G+ Local page 1st for a couple reasons.

A) You can get some quick wins if it's not well optimized OR if there are things wrong and you fix them.

B) No matter how well optimized the site is, if there are violations on the Places side or dupes it can knock you out of the ranking.

C) On-site is a bigger job, takes longer to build ranking and sometimes requires the client to do thing and they lag getting them done.

2) IF Google does phone verification (they don't very often, usually these days it's mail) I would do it like this: Get to the verification point. Call the client. Ask if they were free for a quick call from Google. STRESS they need to pick up and the call can't get dropped or go to answering machine. I tell them to put me on hold. Then the phone will ring and an automated message will give them a 5 digit number. Write it down carefully. Hang up. Then pick up my line and give me the number.

If it forces mail verification which it usually will these days, then you need to email them and stress to watch for mail and call you right away with PIN. Warn them staff often throws it away as junk mail and it will hang you up from being able to help their ranking if you don't get that PIN.

FYI I have not worked on clients for a long time and even when I did they were usually mature businesses with claimed listings - so my info on these initial set-up steps is rusty. Others may weigh in with more tips.

Thanks for the reply linda, I personally use the tell the client someones gonna call method at the moment so I'm wondering if there's a more efficient and hassle free for the client method.

Thanks for the reply linda, I personally use the tell the client someones gonna call method at the moment so I'm wondering if there's a more efficient and hassle free for the client method.

We use this approach as well, and it seems to work best. There really isn't any other way to it. I'm just happy when the phone option is available!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom