Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Post A Letter to Google's Local Team: Can You Give a Brand a Break? | ClickZ

Each month I meet with brands and help them navigate the options for promoting themselves and their retailers via local and mobile online options. In speaking with national brands, there is a great deal of frustration they have with how their brands are currently represented in local search. If you have ever tried to search locally to find a retailer that carried a specific branded product or service, you know their pain. For example, if you search "Sony Danbury," you get a page result that includes local listings for Sony's North American Headquarters in Park Ridge, NJ, but no local place to buy the product.

See it on Scoop.it, via Google Places Optimization & Local SEO News

What do you guys think???
    Please add comments and questions below.
    FEATURING: Local Search News imported from featured Local Search Blogs

Please visit the link above to read the full post.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: A Letter to Google's Local Team: Can You Give a Brand a Break? | ClickZ

Without reading more than what is above, he's making the classic mistake of looking at Places as a business directory, rather than what it is, a subset of Maps that let's you add info to your listing IF it qualifies to be on the map. Sony Headquarters is all that qualifies to be on the map.

And let's take this one step further, because you know that once they get what they want, they will ask for the next thing. When looking at Google Maps in order to navigate somewhere, I don't want to have Sony and Ford symbols hovering everywhere. It would turn the map into one big advertisement.

And that's what he's basically stating... "Google, why can't you give us a bunch of free advertising? It would benefit your customers." Considering that Google makes their money off of advertising, it certainly wouldn't benefit them. If I had my brand popping up everywhere on the map because I have it widely distributed, would I need much more advertising?

So the idea boils down to less ad revenue for Google and (possibly) a messy map that would drive people away from the product.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: A Letter to Google's Local Team: Can You Give a Brand a Break? | ClickZ

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Without reading more than what is above, he's making the classic mistake of looking at Places as a business directory, rather than what it is, a subset of Maps that let's you add info to your listing IF it qualifies to be on the map. Sony Headquarters is all that qualifies to be on the map.

And let's take this one step further, because you know that once they get what they want, they will ask for the next thing. When looking at Google Maps in order to navigate somewhere, I don't want to have Sony and Ford symbols hovering everywhere. It would turn the map into one big advertisement.

And that's what he's basically stating... "Google, why can't you give us a bunch of free advertising? It would benefit your customers." Considering that Google makes their money off of advertising, it certainly wouldn't benefit them. If I had my brand popping up everywhere on the map because I have it widely distributed, would I need much more advertising?

So the idea boils down to less ad revenue for Google and (possibly) a messy map that would drive people away from the product.
    Oh the spammers would love it if you could have Brands on the map as they could collectively run their shady enterprises Via shell outfits within legit stores.

I will call the writer out for claiming Emergency Rooms cannot have their own listing in addition to a hospital listing. False, emergency rooms can have their own feature as it is a category.

See ER: Emergency Room

See Hospital: Exeter Hospital