More threads by whitespark

whitespark

LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Did Nyagoslav's recent post get shared on the forum yet? It's fantastic. Very valuable research on citation networks that you'll be unable to update listings on. Don't waste your time trying to fix citations on the sites in these networks. Nyagoslav tells you how to get right to the source.

Business Directory Networks and Why You Should Be Aware of Them | NGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome share! Missed that one. Thanks Darren!

Edited to add: Just skimmed and didn't realize about all those closed networks since I don't really deal with citation-building. Seems like extremely important info to know!

Thanks Nyag!

I had started my own list, but this, this is MUCH better! Thanks!

I hate it when it get down the rabbit hole only to be met with a hostage situation.

Just skimmed and didn't realize about all those closed networks since I don't really deal with citation-building.

Linda,

I've seen you mention a few times here that you don't really deal with citation-building, yet there is a whole section on this forum dedicated to just that.

Is there a reason you don't deal with citation-building?

Not important?
You outsource it to a third party or service?
You have your clients build there own citations following your advice?
None of the above, and you care to share?

Curious minds would like to know!

Thanks,
~ Vince

Linda,

I've seen you mention a few times here that you don't really deal with citation-building, yet there is a whole section on this forum dedicated to just that.

Is there a reason you don't deal with citation-building?

Not important?
You outsource it to a third party or service?
You have your clients build there own citations following your advice?
None of the above, and you care to share?

Curious minds would like to know!

Thanks,
~ Vince

Great question Vince. Most of my regulars and especially consultants who have taken my training know all about it and I explain more in detail in training because there are lots of reasons and can't type it all out but in a nutshell...

1) I don't personally work on clients any more. Only do training and citations is not my specialty - more so the Google+ Local page, guidelines, best practices and online SEO are my focus.

2) We have a forum on citations because it's really important and I share any resources I find on citations and we have lots of pros including Colan, Darren and Phil, Nyag and others that support that section.

3) But even back when I was still working on clients (Dentists) I stopped doing citations when the algo changed to blended for a couple reasons.

A) Most of my clients were mature practices that already had thousands of citations. They just weren't getting credit for them so I focused on fixing that part.

B) I could boost rank from #16 to #1 - 3 on average by fixing their Places problems and doing my special on-site SEO techniques because getting to top of the pack depends on organic strength, not number of citations.

C) I worked alone and was time strapped so I only did the things that would move the needle the most. If someone has 2000 citations but a crappy site. Building more citations is not the answer and won't make much difference. ;)

BUT that's not saying at all that citations are not important. THEY ARE! If I needed to build them for a client I would have just outsourced it, but I usually didn't need to because of everything above.

That's just quick overview but did that help?

Hi Linda,

That helped a lot, thank you very much!

We get new clients from time to time, and some have terrible websites with little, to no, onsite and offsite SEO. Some of my clients don't even have a real website, but have a cookie-cutter page on a master site they must use by corporate rules (think name brand insurance agents).

It makes it difficult to know where to start with some of these businesses. Sometimes there is so much that needs to be done that they can't afford our rates to fix things and get them headed in the right direction. We try to steer these harder cases into paid advertising, but many of them still have that goal of getting to the top spots organically.

Thanks again, Linda... and for letting me vent too!
~ Vince

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom