More threads by D37

D37

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to where to add the "Suite #" in an address. What is the format I should use for Google+ Local and local directories (citations) ? ...as you can tell I'm new to Google+ Local

For Canada is it this?

John Smith
4565 High Park Ave apt/unit/suite 236
Toronto ON
M5A 5A5
Canada

For U.S. is it this?

MARY ROE
799 E DRAGRAM SUITE 5A
TUCSON AZ 85705
USA

Most directories I believe have a 2nd address line OR suite field, so you'd put it there.

Your address format below for US is correct. I assume correct for Canada but I'm not positive so I would doublecheck.

And you know in the Places dashboard if adding a new listing, Suite needs to go on address line 2 right?

Oh I see. I've only added 1 places listing to an account a while back.

So it would be like this then I'm thinking?

MARY ROE
799 E DRAGRAM
SUITE 5A

TUCSON AZ 85705
USA

Thanks a lot. Very helpful :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:03 PM ----------

I'm wondering with Suite, do we use: "St #300" for example or "Suite #300" ?

I'm wondering with Suite, do we use: "St #300" for example or "Suite #300" ?

The answer is totally - it depends!

In my training, I teach how to do in-depth NAP research to find out what format has the most citations, which is technically correct according to the USPS and what Maps thinks is correct. Then how to weigh it all to come up with the best option.

However neither of your examples above is right. I never see Suite abbreviated as St. Plus I don't think it's correct to use Suite AND # together.

3 main options would typically be Suite 300 OR #300 or Ste 300. The latter is the way the USPS often abbreviates it so often you'll find the MOST citations for Ste, but I feel quite certain Google does not like that abbreviation. So I use # or Suite and never both. But WHICH depends on what the research tells you.

This is a great tip. I notice that Google definitely favors the "#300" format on the actual page that is displayed. I have a couple clients with Suite addresses and I use "Suite 300" format on both but Google displays it as #300 on the page itself.

Travis Van Slooten

However neither of your examples above is right. I never see Suite abbreviated as St. Plus I don't think it's correct to use Suite AND # together.

This is a great tip. I notice that Google definitely favors the "#300" format on the actual page that is displayed. I have a couple clients with Suite addresses and I use "Suite 300" format on both but Google displays it as #300 on the page itself.

Travis Van Slooten

The Help Center articles in GMM aren't clear the proper way to show Suites. But I've gone back and forth and my hunch is to use "Suite 1" rather than "#1." With addresses Google doesn't like abbreviations going in, but will display them abbreviated. Alway go long form on addresses "Suite 1, 123 Mary Road, Suitesville, Maryland" it will work much better internally and when in doubt fix the address in MapMaker to conform to the drop downs.

---------- Post Merged at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:30 AM ----------

The answer is totally - it depends!

In my training, I teach how to do in-depth NAP research to find out what format has the most citations, which is technically correct according to the USPS and what Maps thinks is correct. Then how to weigh it all to come up with the best option.

3 main options would typically be Suite 300 OR #300 or Ste 300. The latter is the way the USPS often abbreviates it so often you'll find the MOST citations for Ste, but I feel quite certain Google does not like that abbreviation. So I use # or Suite and never both. But WHICH depends on what the research tells you.

I forgot to mention you shouldn't combine Suite, # and 1 together. "Suite 1" is good, "Suite #1" isn't. When in doubt don't use symbols.

I recently did a test with a business I haven't fully set up yet. I created a Local G page and the Places page. For the address I entered "Suite 1, 44 Castle Street, etc."

The Google Maps listing activation postcard I got back from Google UK (with a Netherlands address!) was addressed to:
44 Castle Street
Suite 1
etc.

The verification postcard I got back from Mountain View was addressed to:
1, Suite 1
44 Castle Street
etc.

The way it is actually displaying on Places is as follows:
44 Castle Street
etc.

Go figure! :confused:

Sorry, I just thought I'd BUMP my previous post to see if anyone has an idea about the different suite formats.

"I just thought I'd BUMP my previous post to see if anyone has an idea about the different suite formats."

Sorry I don't see a question in the post above so not sure exactly what you wanted to know???

I created a Local G page and the Places page. For the address I entered "Suite 1, 44 Castle Street, etc."

Part of my problem is I don't know how addresses are supposed to be formatted in UK. And evidently from your post Google isn't sure either. So I don't have an answer for you. But have a Q.

Are you saying to you entered it all on line one just like that? Isn't there a line 2 field in UK dashboards like in US or is it different there?

"I just thought I'd BUMP my previous post to see if anyone has an idea about the different suite formats."

Sorry I don't see a question in the post above so not sure exactly what you wanted to know???

Part of my problem is I don't know how addresses are supposed to be formatted in UK. And evidently from your post Google isn't sure either. So I don't have an answer for you. But have a Q.

Are you saying to you entered it all on line one just like that? Isn't there a line 2 field in UK dashboards like in US or is it different there?

Things in UK may have different mileage since Map Maker isn't available. But having just a "1" in what would be the Address Line in GMM isn't bad, it is just not the best practice. Also, I wouldn't read too much into the addressing of the postcard since Google uses physical addressing standards as the core data for addresses, rather than mailing ones (even though there is some influence). It is wierd that Suite would appear on the card but be omitted in the dashboard.

The Help Center articles in GMM aren't clear the proper way to show Suites. But I've gone back and forth and my hunch is to use "Suite 1" rather than "#1." With addresses Google doesn't like abbreviations going in, but will display them abbreviated. Alway go long form on addresses "Suite 1, 123 Mary Road, Suitesville, Maryland" it will work much better internally and when in doubt fix the address in MapMaker to conform to the drop downs.

I forgot to mention you shouldn't combine Suite, # and 1 together. "Suite 1" is good, "Suite #1" isn't. When in doubt don't use symbols.

I just posted in Suite vs STE vs # In Your Citation Addresses thread that the MapMaker article on how to post suite numbers in the Address Line changed on January 11, 2013. Now the proper format appears to be "#13" in the Address Line in Map Maker or if adding via Community Edits it would be "#13, 8 Bob Street" where "8" is the street number.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom