Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How Little Do Yahoo Care About Local?

Yahoo! Local seems to be going from bad to worse. When a few months ago owner verification was introduced to substitute the preceding moderated manual-only verification, I still had hope that things at Yahoo! Local are improving. Later on, when I realized that the turnaround times for the local listings to get verified, approved, updated (read more)

Read More at Nyagoslav's Blog...

What do you guys think???

Please visit the site linked above to read the full post.
    Or add comments and questions below.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: How Little Do Yahoo Care About Local?

I have experienced this as well first-hand. We verified a listing, waited for the postcard to arrive, when it arrived, they said it was invalid. We went through the verification process three times, with three different postcards, all saying they are invalid.

Yahoo's support is terrible, so that got us no where. Hopefully they'll improve the process in the future.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes i had experienced this, too, but things seem to be changing.

Only yesterday, i sent them a request through their customer care form (you need to be logged in to your Yahoo account), explained in detail exactly what i needed fixed, and today i am seeing the corrections on the listing. The request was for correction of business name.

Furthermore, i also sent them a request through this form to get a duplicate, outdated listing removed and they promptly got that listing removed.

If your basic (free) listing is not up yet even after a long time, following them up here - customer care form - helps. They also take efforts to explain why a listing is not up - like some times (unknowingly) a phone number does not match the number you have on your website (which could be a call-tracking number) or some feature in the address you want added does not match that with the one on your website.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia, US Phone: 347-535-4535
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Vijay! Actually my team and me have been using these forms for quite some time now. Specifically when reporting duplicates, I can say that requests sent through the Local Listing Removal Request Form are honored just about 30-40% of the time (no responses, or updates ever sent via email or otherwise, though). We almost never receive responses to requests sent to the other form you mentioned. This is based on about 500-600 total reports.
    Director of Local Search at Whitespark

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I beg to differ, Nyag. I have received replies from Yahoo to most of the mails sent through those forms.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia, US Phone: 347-535-4535
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My comment was certainly not meant to counter what you said - on the contrary, I meant that it is very interesting you are seeing different results from your communication as compared to us. This might suggest potential need for an audit of our way of reporting problems to Yahoo, as your result is definitely more desirable and is what we have been trying to achieve.
    Director of Local Search at Whitespark