More threads by raylaminac

Reaction score
Hello,
I looked around online but have yet to find any really helpful and valid information. We have had clients in the past that have been interested in marketing in either Mexico or Canada but put on the back-burner for the time being. Recently we had a similar topic hit the table again. From what I have seen there are some very similar Algorithmic triggers for the US and Canada, but what about local search?

Does anyone have any experience working with local search and SEO for Canadian companies? Or could you point me in the right direction to research this further on my own?

There aren't any fundamental differences between doing local SEO for a Canadian business and doing it for one in the US (or elsewhere). Besides most Canadian markets being at least a little less competitive than their US counterparts, the only real differences are:

(1) that Canada's got different sites that matter as citation sources, and that

(2) similarly, there aren't quite as many review sites worth worrying about.

There was a forum member from the Great White North who earlier this year put together a list of the top citations you need to be competitive up there. I'm not sure of his methodology, but hey, he's native: Top 10 Canadian Citations for Local businesses and Local Search Marketers! - The Adster Online Advertising Blog! - Adster Creative

As for reviews, we have a good number Canadian clientele who tell us that besides the mega-behemoths like Yelp and Google+, you should add these to your target list: YellowPages.ca and weblocal.ca.

Normally when I am building a list of citation sources for a USA business I'm looking at 200 or so sources, for Canada its around 40-60 tops. The # really depends on how many webmasters are out there running business directories specialized for Canadian businesses. There are a few, but not as many.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom