Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Q&A and Chat Log from the 11/21 Local Ranking Debate Webinar

This is so long I decided to post in a separate thread or it will push any new posts in the Webinar thread down too far and make that thread hard to read.

I stripped out all the posts saying "I can hear" or "there's an echo" so what is left is just the questions that have some meat.

All answers are from Colan and I. A couple answers may have been provided by attendees, but the download does not list name of the people that answer, only the folks that ask the Qs. (Again, huge thanks to Colan for helping me! There were so many Qs flying I could not have done it without your help!)

Carpal acting up so I can't do any more formatting. Already spent over an hour cleaning it up and sorry that's the most I can do right.

I'll work on the Chat log next, after a break.

=====================================

Audience Question:
    Q: Love your webinars! Question for panel - Client is dentist located at 1 address but for some reason had different names for office submitted on Google, had different phone numbers as well. Will this affect rankings if we have worked on cleaning up citations but still has old second business name with different phone numbers listed for same address??[Derek Cladek] ---
    A: this is being recorded, yes

Audience Question:
    Q: Greetings everyone...[Maurice Trimble Jr] ---
    A: Greetings!

Q: Hello im actually wondering and wanted to ask the best way to approach a web master for a local quality link [Kevin Hudgens] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: If you can share some insights on multi-location business. I have a Home remodeler that has offices in 3 different cities that are not close to each other but in the same state. Wondering how best to setup the website and google listing to allow for rankings in each city. [Corey Ellis] ---
    A: Optimized location pages for each location.

Audience Question:
    Q: Will the Q&A be part of the the recording? Gotta leave early... [Rachel Rossicone] ---
    A: We are looking into downloading it and posting afterwards.

Audience Question:
    Q: Their names all use the kw in the name and mine doesnt. Could age and the lack of kw in biz name be the cause? Am I out of luck without renaming?[Jordan Pepin] ---
    A: Keyword stuffing a name in Google Places will never last in the long un. Always follow the quality guidelines

Q: lost the audio?[Holly Czuba] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: I am competing in a local industry that has reasonably little competition. My site is only a month or so old and ranks at the bottom of pg 1 organically but does not show in the local pack (more results shows position J). I have more citations than most competitors and none have more than 1 review.[Jordan Pepin] ---
    A: Jordan if want to post in the help forum at the Local Search Forum we can take look and give you tips. You could have a violation that's knocking you out of the pack. Help forum toward bottom: http://www.localsearchforum.com/

Audience Question:
    Q: Love your webinars! Question for panel - Client is dentist located at 1 address but for some reason had different names for office submitted on Google, had different phone numbers as well. Will this affect rankings if we have worked on cleaning up citations but still has old second business name with different phone numbers listed for same address?? Basically same business with 2 different business names at same address.[Derek Cladek] ---
    A: Hi Derek, too complicated to answer now plus would need to see and check some things to give good answer. Please post in the help forum toward bottom here: http://www.localsearchforum.com/ and we'll help you after webinar. Too many Qs to go into great detail on any one Q.

Audience Question:
    Q: Ranking for two sites with same page on site?[Benjamin more] ---
    A: Don't understand what you mean?

Audience Question:
    Q: Hello, Does it hurt local rankings to have a phone number ring in one city but be on local listings as another (nearby) city? The area code and prefix are available in both cities.[Sarah Perry] ---
    A: Always best to use a local number that connects directly to the business

Q: Temporary[Grant McManus] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: It is also now possible for a business to rank well in local results, even with a manual penalty on their website. Unfortunately I now know this first hand as I am helping a client recover from a previous SEO's bad behaviour.[Michael Johnson] ---
    A: That makes sense if the algos are seperate and they are ranking in maps, not the old blended which relied in part on organic ranking

Q: Perminant with changes coming[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Q: Permanent is missspelled just fyi[Sprigley Allan] ---

Q: Don't Know[Jeff Stec] ---

Q: Temporary[Rhiannon McCafferty] ---

Q: nothing is permanent with google[Frank Motola] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: I see people spamming their citations.. does this help with rankings in maps? Besides that they rank their citation page[Derek Cladek] ---
    A: What kind of spamming?

Audience Question:
    Q: I see people spamming their citations.. does this help with rankings in maps? Besides that they rank their citation page[Derek Cladek] ---
    A: Common spammer tactic. Not sure it works or helps but they try.

Audience Question:
    Q: I am here from eggzack.com my name is steven chiocchi. I am the director of marketing for EggZack, I am very excited to learn from the experts here! Please tweet/follow me stevenchiocchi[steven chiocchi] ---
    A: Welcome!

Q: Sounds good :-)[Maurice Trimble Jr] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: What content do you need on your website to become relevant for local seearches when user does not type in location (town or zip code).. i.e. septic service (the user is in charlton, ma zip code 01507) but they didnt type in location in the search keywords[Jim Perry] ---
    A: You still need to be locally relevant and optimized to rank for City A even if someone only does KW search w/o geo modifier

Audience Question:
    Q: Dumb question - Everything is temporary! [Scott Hendison] ---
    A: HA true dat Scott! Blink and it will all change tomorrow

Q: no current works great![Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Big gains[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---
    A: Good for you Steven!

Q: Would love copy of slides since I cannot attend entire webinar[Lisa Kilrea] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Category selection-- do you think it is better to have one or few categories compared to every category that could apply? Example: “Plastic Surgeon” vs “Plastic Surgeon, Physician & Surgeons, Doctors, Medical Center, Skin Care, Medical Spa, Day Spa”[Rachel Rossicone] ---
    A: The more the merrier!

Q: For the old blended, is it absolutely confirmed that you could not simultaniously rank for both local and organic? Seems like this was topic of debate.[Peter Troast] ---

Q: very bad echo[Jason Bean] ---

Q: does addig call tracking numbers hurt the local rankings ?[Imran Africawala] ---

Q: The Synergy of on and off page + Local has become greatly stronger[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Do claimed listings (google places, yahoo local, etc.) impact SEO?[Max Dunn] ---
    A: They impact SEO in the sense that you have more control, so you can optimize the listing to rank better.

Q: Has anyone noticed an increase in the importance of schema markup?[Lauren Patton] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Two Questions: Q1 - how come our business will rank in the top 7 pack on page one of maps but not in the 7 pack on serp or webs search in local results. Q2 - when trying to rank for certain categories, is it better to select one or two or just go for how many you feel is necessary?[Andrew Leonard] ---
    A: Q1 depends could be a bunch of things. Would need to see and investigate. Can post in the help forum at the Local Search Forum. Q2 pick as many as are appropriate.

Audience Question:
    Q: can someone speak to best practices around localizing content, as in "plumber, detroit, mi" and "plumber, farmington hills, mi" we know madlibs is NOT ok., but what is?[Peter Troast] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Phil, what does "7-pack results" mean?[Chris Agro] ---
    A: In most markets there are 7 listings on page of 1 of Google marked with the A. B. C, these are local rankings we refer to as the 7 pack. (But sometimes it's a 3 pack)

Q: Thank you. Never heard that term before.[Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Is there a way to expedite the transfer of Google account to the new dashboard, or do you have any idea on when a mass rollout may happen. Many of our clients are still on the old dashboard.[Joel Seale] ---
    A: There is a form you can submit to request an update but I don't know any examples where it actually worked

Audience Question:
    Q: will we get the recording of this webinar[Imran Africawala] ---
    A: Yes recorded. Replay up in a few days here: InsideLocal: Expert Local Search Webinar Series - 100% FreeBrightLocal or here: InsideLocal Webinars

Audience Question:
    Q: Please elaborate- Structured mark-up[Troy Vo] ---
    A: Schema

Audience Question:
    Q: Is there a way to expedite the transfer of Google account to the new dashboard, or do you have any idea on when a mass rollout may happen. Many of our clients are still on the old dashboard.[Joel Seale] ---
    A: Just have to wait!

Audience Question:
    Q: "centroid" varies from one place to another...."centroid" to google could mean for some categories in some cities the area where most business congregate. ie: car dealers[Jaime Menor] ---
    A: Great point - it's not center of town but center of most popular businesses in that city according to Google.

Q: Do you have advice of whcih is better. Entering my own Schema within the pages, or the Data Highlighter offered by Google Webmasters Tools?[Mike Ellsworth] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: "centroid" varies from one place to another...."centroid" to google could mean for some categories in some cities the area where most business congregate. ie: car dealers[Jaime Menor] ---
    A: Good example: Car dealers, centroid may be far from town wherever most dealers are

Q: how? by adding zip code to titles and content etc[Jim Perry] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: client has insulation installation company - biz based from residence which is located 6 miles outside city linits - client 'serves' city. Will hide address - but will client 'rank' well (assuming I do evreything else correctly) if I choose service area of city? he's far away from centroid and the name of his residence address is not the name of the city... it's the name of a small acreage area just outside the city. Thanks :-)[Andy Kuiper] ---
    A: Google has said that hiding the address should not impact ranking.

Q: i have city name but doesnt seem to do well when goe not typed in[Jim Perry] ---

Q: adding zip code should help.. was thinking google found users zip code if they didnt add geo[Jim Perry] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: client has insulation installation company - biz based from residence which is located 6 miles outside city linits - client 'serves' city. Will hide address - but will client 'rank' well (assuming I do evreything else correctly) if I choose service area of city? he's far away from centroid and the name of his residence address is not the name of the city... it's the name of a small acreage area just outside the city. Thanks :-)[Andy Kuiper] ---
    A: Depends on competition. But if competitive no, usually will only rank for the city they are really located in. The city in dash. Regardless of service area settings. That setting does not influence ranking at all.

Audience Question:
    Q: Will these written Q&A's be captured and made available for us?[Michelle Hartman] ---
    A: I beleive they will be downloaded and saved for everyone after.

Audience Question:
    Q: What does "NAP" mean in the bullet point "presence of NAP"?[Marissa Luck] ---
    A: Name, Address, Phone Number

Q: Thats not exactly true[Chris Gregory] ---

Q: We have experience people with Penguin Penalty not rank anywhere organically[Chris Gregory] ---

Audience Question:
    A: I agree. Lots of hidden address listings rank A. In some markets ABC are all hidden and lower ones are showing. It's not the address showing that affects ranking

Q: I disagree with Phil. Bad organic practices have not affected certain busiensses I've worked with.[Dino Maiolo] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: I hope you all spend some serious time on the structured mark-up. Have not applied this to any of my sites yet but I feel it is becoming super important.[Chris Agro] ---
    A: Agreed

Audience Question:
    Q: but show up on first page for maps for more than 15 keywords[Chris Gregory] ---
    A: that's possible depending on the type of local result (pure local vs blended)

Audience Question:
    Q: even though the name of the business residence is "alltown USA" which is 6 miles outside "anytown USA" and we choose service area as "anytown USA"[Andy Kuiper] ---
    A: Depends on competition. Usually if competitive won't rank in pack. But may help rank in organic.

Audience Question:
    Q: Hi. I'm having trouble keeping up with this during business hours. Will this webinar be recorded and available after today?[Audrey Henik] ---
    A: Yes recorded. Replay up in a few days here: InsideLocal: Expert Local Search Webinar Series - 100% FreeBrightLocal or here: InsideLocal Webinars

Q: thanks![Audrey Henik] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: If it is always best to use a local number that connects diretcly to the business, is there a negatiuve affect if you don't?[Sarah Perry] ---
    A: Yes can def be but like everything else it depends. If super strong in everything else still could rank if phone is only thing off. Just really depends.

Q: That is a good tip![Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Speaking of Canada, will a .ca outrank a .com in Canada? Is there a need for a separate site[Frank Motola] ---
    A: .ca is usually better in Canada

Audience Question:
    Q: Would listing your area of service at 10 mile radius vs 100 mile radius make a difference in how likely u r to show in map pack?[Ben Wright] ---
    A: Nope not at all.

Q: thanks for anawering my questions - Andy Kuiper :-)[Andy Kuiper] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Would listing your area of service at 10 mile radius vs 100 mile radius make a difference in how likely u r to show in map pack?[Ben Wright] ---
    A: Still will usually only rank based on the city inside dash but depends on competition.

Audience Question:
    Q: what is the best way to show service area (map, list towns, etc)?[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: usually "distance from...." and set to a 20 mile radius or so

Q: Very true.[Daniel Lhanie] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: what is the best way to show service area (map, list towns, etc)?[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: NO. Just put city you are in no zip. If put multi cities or zips G will put marker RIGHT IN MIDDLE even if it's lake or desert or out in country. Put your city only and it will put marker right in center of town. ;-)

Q: Please explain "Local Updates"[Kenny Atcheson] ---

Q: Funny you are talking about that but we did just this local strategy on about 25 towns with separate pages. After a month they were killing the competition. Each page had unique content, tags and photos. After 2 months some of them dropped from position 1 to page 2 or 3. No explaination. Only thing we did was added SocialAdr. Some of the pages are still on top. A competitor that just substitutes local words with duplicate content and still ranks well! go figure.[Frank Motola] ---

Q: Whats the difference between pure local results and blended? Only local results will be returned rather both organic and local?[Christa Morgante] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Can you send us a link to a site that is super wonderfully optimized for search? Something I can learn from.[Christina Lotfy] ---
    A: Sorry was typing and missed it. Colan did you catch which one?

Q: That would be great![Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: When you say "Location page" are you referring to the Place page?[Joe Matibag] ---
    A: No if have mulitple locations the location pages on your site

Q: I'd love to see some examples of this good hyperlocal content.[Darren Shaw] ---

Q: Does Google Authorship help with local placement at all?[Jeff Logan] ---

Q: how do you develop city specific page content without being 1. overly duplicate, 2. generally crappy and repetitive?[Peter Troast] ---

Q: is it best to use the locations " regions " cities or suburbs that google regognizes and references in Google Trends and keyword planner?[Rochelle Mills] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Can you all try to identify yourself before talking? Just a quick, this is Mike...[Chris Agro] ---
    A: Thanks I asked speakers to. Thanks Chris!

Audience Question:
    Q: What is a citation?[Marissa Luck] ---
    A: Any mention of a businesses NAP

Audience Question:
    Q: Where can I found the webinar recording about the contents?[John De Guzman] ---

Q: can we get an link to the aforementioned recorded preso from Andrew?[layla bauder] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: ideas on creating unique editorial content for local pages?[Ken Hughey] ---
    A: Bunch of REALLY good posts here about it: #multi-location - Search Results - Local Search Forum

Q: could you provide the link to that webinar he just mentioned?[Cameron Miller] ---
    A: InsideLocal Webinars

Q: If no geo modifier added, does Google figure out the users zip code and search for that in the content of your site (Attendee 151)[Jim Perry] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Here is a link to a great article on the layout of the perfect local site format. - How To Do Onpage Optimization for Local SEO – The “Perfectly Optimized Local Page” Example[Ryan Hill] ---
    A: Thanks Ryan! That's a good one.

Audience Question:
    Q: Here is a link to a great article on the layout of the perfect local site format. - How To Do Onpage Optimization for Local SEO – The “Perfectly Optimized Local Page” Example[Ryan Hill] ---
    A: Good one thanks Ryan

Q: one of the things that they could be clearer on is the difference between a multi location biz and how to create content for each and a single location service area biz that serves multiple cities[Peter Troast] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: so citations would be things like being listed on directories or Yellow PageS?[Marissa Luck] ---
    A: Yes, those would be structured citations

Audience Question:
    A: Another good one by Miriam: http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...al-search.html

Q: map maker? categories[Ken Hughey] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: This is Gayle - What if we've been trying to remove duplicates and bad info, but can't get a response, what would you do?[Gayle Katz] ---
    A: Have you CALLED support? Or just use report a problem?

Audience Question:
    Q: How many directories should you spend a lot of time on developing (e.g. rich data)? Is there a top 10, 20, 100, etc.?[Dave Michaels] ---
    A: There are about 20 to 40 main ones

Q: is there a list of those 20-40 core citation sources?[Cameron Miller] ---

Q: Thanks. Are they going to enumerate the list or is there a page somewhere?[Dave Michaels] ---

Q: would you use yext to manage those?[Jon Pacific] ---

Q: Some of the smaller or niche ones don't have a support line to call or it's a voicemail.[Gayle Katz] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: How many directories should you spend a lot of time on developing (e.g. rich data)? Is there a top 10, 20, 100, etc.?[Dave Michaels] ---
    A: Focus on these: The 2013 Local Search Ecosystems: The 2013 Local Search Ecosystems (and a GetListed Upgrade) - Moz

Audience Question:
    Q: Will this presentation be made avaiable to us for review once it concludes today?[Anthony Librizzi] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: In my citations, the some citations use the abbrevation "Co" in the Name of the NAP, other citations use "Company". Will this confuse Google, or is Google smart enough to figure out (like Street versus St. in Address) that it's the same business. Or should I take the time and effort to pick one make the citations consistent?[Joe Matibag] ---
    A: TONS citation info here: Google Local Citations

Q: Yes[Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Yecks? What is that?[Jeff VanDrimmelen] ---
    A: Yext

Q: Thank you Myles for the ID[Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Yecks? What is that?[Jeff VanDrimmelen] ---
    A: Yext - Yext PowerListings

Q: Yext doesn't clean up, they only add listings, from my experience[Gayle Katz] ---

Q: Can Yext be bad for new websites since it builds a large amount of links in a short period of time? Can this look bad in Google's eyes?[Albert Tang] ---

Q: What about locally based citation sources (such as local news organizations)? Do they hold any more weight than national sources like Yelp or Mojopages? [Mindy Pillow] ---

Q: ive Used yext, i dont think they're entry's count as a citatio, point in case, when searching ciations through Whitespark, all of the citations sites that yext used, were found to be incomplete or not included.[Andrew Leonard] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Looking for some advise about contacting web master for links. [Kevin Hudgens] ---
    A: Ultimate Guide to Google Penalty Removal - Moz

Audience Question:
    Q: Does anyone know what is going on with Yahoo! local listings? Instead of saying "Edit" on the listing, it now says "Publish your Yahoo listing on 40 more top local directories" -- the link is broken when you click on it[Rachel Rossicone] ---
    A: I think there is post in the forum and it sounds like they partnered with Yext.

Audience Question:
    Q: Is there any way to verify a Google Local or Google+ page faster than your client throwing away the postcard or missing the phone call?[Tony Ferreira] ---
    A: Try Google Phone Support

Q: Aw man, I had a feeling...[Rachel Rossicone] ---

Q: Any opinions on other citation builders like Getlisted, Localeze? And we know what Myles will say about BrightLocal haha![Ryan Hill] ---

Q: do you recommend UBL?[John De Guzman] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: How does Google feel about building citations for virtual offices? Is this recommended?[Loren Ipsum] ---
    A: Google does not allow listings at virtual offices. If caught they can delete it.

Q: It is great to publish frequently changing specials[Ernest Lambert] ---

Q: reagarding Yext, what happens iv you've already claimed the listings for the directories they work with[Kathleen Rhodes] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Do you see that differences with Business Hours can cause a negative affect? If a business changes their hours and now their citations are different, would that affect rankings?[Derek Cladek] ---
    A: I don't think so.

Q: and a quick way to get 44 citations[Ernest Lambert] ---

Q: Are you saying Yext does NOT help with SEO.[Kenny Atcheson] ---

Q: what about Yext vs Localieze etc...[John G] ---

Q: Google Places/+ isn't a partner of Yext anyway.[Sarah Boyd] ---

Q: horrible audio[Ken Hughey] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: what happens when you stop paying yext?[Ashley B] ---
    A: The listings revert back to their previous state (pre-Yext state)

Audience Question:
    Q: what happens when you stop paying yext?[Ashley B] ---
    A: They stop pushing your data but they don't delete data already published on other sites. They just won't add.

Q: Nyagoslav has a great blog post to answer the question what happens when you stop paying Yext. There are repercussions.[Kathy Long] ---

Q: You can then claim those listing but the extra information that they add to certain websites will be lost[Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: is it true that if you end your yext subscription, all the citations they created disappear?[Bryce Wickstrom] ---
    A: The Yext Blog | Yext Blog Good info here

Audience Question:
    Q: versus other services like whitespark and brightlocal, why would you pay someone montly forever for citations versus one time?[Peter Troast] ---
    A: Good point. You don't!

Q: Has Google has devalued repetitive anchor text links[Frank Motola] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: what is the best way to list all your citations so that you can see the inconsistencies[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: I don't deal with citations but assume Bright, Whitespark and Getlisted all help with that.

Q: from external sites.[Frank Motola] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: what are structured vs. unstructured citations?[Marissa Luck] ---
    A: structured = Yellow pages type site. unstructured = a mention in a blog post (among other things)

Q: You need a good foundation to build on. has been critical with all of my clients[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Regarding question about Yahoo, yes they partnered with Yext and all partners are trying to push you into Yext subscriptions. But Yahoo has a great deal. For $89.99 a quarter for their Localworks program, it includes Yext. So it's cheaper than the same level you'd get in Yext.[Kathy Long] ---
    A: http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...anagement.html

Audience Question:
    Q: should you put different descriptions on each of the main directories or use the same(duplicate content)[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: Try and use different descriptions at least on the important sites

Audience Question:
    Q: should you put different descriptions on each of the main directories or use the same(duplicate content)[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: Darren from Whitespark just answered that at my forum and I think he said can use same on a few then change it up.

Audience Question:
    Q: any advice for businesses don't fit exactly into Google's preset categories?[Peter Troast] ---
    A: Choose the "best" one

Q: the sound is missing[Alex Mangrolia] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: any advice for businesses don't fit exactly into Google's preset categories?[Peter Troast] ---
    A: Colan is right you must choose one. But if custom cat not avail for what you do G is getting better at finding all your cats from your site and 3rd party data so you can rank even if it's not in your cats in dash.

Q: YES MIKE ~! Good point![layla bauder] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Best one or closest 8? and does the order matter?[Peter Troast] ---
    A: I would choose as many that fit. With the new dashboard you can designate a Primary category, so that might have an impact.

Audience Question:
    Q: Got tied up in a meeting and just arrived--will you be sending out a replay[r h] ---

Q: graci![Peter Troast] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Got tied up in a meeting and just arrived--will you be sending out a replay[r h] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: I assume you are talking about LocalSearchForum. I'll look for Darren's comment but do you happen to have it?[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: Let me find it

Audience Question:
    Q: I assume you are talking about LocalSearchForum. I'll look for Darren's comment but do you happen to have it?[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: FORUM MAIN: http://www.localsearchforum.com/

Audience Question:
    Q: so much good insight. wow.[Benjamin more] ---
    A: No kidding!

Audience Question:
    Q: I have a hotel in Bryant, AR. What is the best practice to do for this industry? I understand that ranking first in the Google carousel is not necessarily the best position. What are the thoughts on that?[Sunit Patel] ---
    A: Photo Optimization! And Reviews~!!!

Q: lost audio[Roger Maves] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Can Yext be bad for new websites since it builds a large amount of links in a short period of time? Can this look bad in Google's eyes?[Albert Tang] ---
    A: Proably not going to hurt....but I personally like the slow and steady approach.

Audience Question:
    A: This not the one but related and Phil weighed in: http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...e-content.html

Audience Question:
    Q: In regards to photo optimization, what does that entail?[Joel Seale] ---
    A: Make sure you use quality photos to show up in the Carousel

Q: Does the panel recommend a paid/promoted YP.com listing? Does it help outside YP.com?[Mike Peterson] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: In regards to photo optimization, what does that entail?[Joel Seale] ---
    A: Keywords in image name and some geo code images

Q: I'm curious with NAP - Does Google really care if you use Street vs. St. or Road vs. Rd <-- isn't google 'smart' enough to know they are the same? So this wouldn't affect ranking?[Derek Cladek] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Does adding content into the meta data of a photo have an impact?[Joel Seale] ---
    A: Some assume it COULD but don't think anyone knows for sure or how much.

Q: does the panel agree that its best to research what citation provideers rank on page one for hte category your servicing to start with those first and do it very well[Rochelle Mills] ---

Q: Yes, it does, Google is now ranking images[Craig Anderson] ---

Q: Does anyone know of a tool that shows which sites rank in the top 10 for a collection of keywords? I use BL for keyword ranking reports, but if I can say to client "this niche site ranks in the top 5 for 40 of your 50 keywords" it would be easier to convince them that it'll be worth it to invest time/money in...[George Murphy] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: How can a Limousine company rank in several cities in the 7 pack if they do not have city specific pages on their website?[Jill Caren] ---
    A: They can't likely. Especially if they don't have offices in those cities.

Q: What are some strategies for encouraging reviews on directory listings & social?[Jessica Srinivas] ---

Q: THey do though…that is what is weird! JUst wanted to make sure I am not crazy![Jill Caren] ---

Q: What if you hide your Google Address?[Daniel Lhanie] ---

Q: …and THANK YOU so much for these webinars! They are AWESOME![Jill Caren] ---

Q: How do we handle Google listings with different businesses with same address? We do use suite #'s.[geoff farnsworth] ---

Q: How would you go about separating 60+ businesses that share the same address, including suite number (executive suites, for instance).[Blake Denman] ---

Q: no[Bryce Wickstrom] ---

Q: no[cheryl lynn] ---

Q: Nope[Chris Agro] ---

Q: Not yet[Colleen Frye] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Certain IYP sites autocorrect the data you enter, specifically with address. Would you say if you cannot get a 1 to 1 match, you should avoid the directory?[Ryan Chidester] ---
    A: If it's a minor change that should be ok

Q: with new geo within places dashboard, any evidence of performance of radius option vs cities or zips?[Peter Troast] ---

Q: Nope[Nick Footer] ---

Q: no[Jannell Howell] ---

Q: Nope[Sarah Perry] ---

Q: No[Clark Morgan] ---

Q: no[jim w] ---

Q: no change[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Q: no[Roger Maves] ---

Q: i see place page signals[Ernest Lambert] ---

Q: no[Scott Hendison] ---

Q: On Page Signals [Sarah Boyd] ---

Q: yes[Andy Kuiper] ---

Q: Bye bye Myles. Come back soon.[Chris Agro] ---

Q: well not really now lol[Andy Kuiper] ---

Q: Hi[Chris Agro] ---

Q: hi![Rachel Rossicone] ---

Q: welcome back![Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Q: hi[MOSES ROSE] ---

Q: In terms of bulk listing management in google places is concerned, I've notced that the support page lists different categories than the autocomplete options on the places dashboard, map maker, and places for business dashboard. What ones should be used in the bulk feed?[Stephen Perl] ---

Q: lol[Bryce Wickstrom] ---

Q: • Place Page Signals
    o Category selection
    o Listing verification / merged listings
    o Location & local phone number
    o Keywords/location in listing title
    o Age of Google listing
    [Rachel Rossicone] ---

Q: that was what the slide said[Rachel Rossicone] ---

Q: any good examples of a well optimized google+ page?[Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: what about the fact that Google "abbreviates," for example, Rd in its display even if I have written out Road and you see Road when you click on "more"?[Kathleen Rhodes] ---
    A: shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you are as consistent as possible

Q: on places page what about photos and offers or google products??[Rochelle Mills] ---

Q: or managing reviews on google pages[Rochelle Mills] ---

Q: same here[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Q: I have a lot.[Daniel Perry] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: how do keywords or GEO in listing title in affect rank?[Stacy Lyles] ---
    A: Number one way to get a listong deleted

Audience Question:
    Q: how do keywords or GEO in listing title in affect rank?[Stacy Lyles] ---
    A: They help BUT it's major violation to add if not part of name. Biggest reason for suspended listings.

Q: Has anyone using the old dash noticed whether custom categories are still effective vs. the pre-defined categories?[Stephen Perl] ---

Q: where is that list?[Alex Bungener] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: How do we handle Google listings with different businesses with same address? We do use suite numbers, but Google doeesn't show the different businesses.[geoff farnsworth] ---
    A: Tough situation. Different phone numbers?

Q: The 2013 Local Search Ecosystems (and a GetListed Upgrade) - Moz[Benjamin more] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: I have been looking for Darren's comment since you mentioned it and can't find it. Anyone else find it?[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: I will look after and post in the forum thread for this webinar. Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion - Free Webinar

Q: We manage listings in bulk and Google has actually updated these dashboards to now flag the listings because the categories are not Google categories.[Leann Deen] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Can we get a link to that ecosystem he just mentioned?[CT Kaupp] ---
    A: The 2013 Local Search Ecosystems (and a GetListed Upgrade) - Moz

Q: Does the new ability to add hyperlinks in the Google Places description field provide any signals? Would it be considered a "more complete" listing than if it didn't?[Bill Verboom] ---

Q: The listings that we bulk uploaded with custom categories forced us to update them when we accessed the listing the following time .. is that a similar experience for anyone else?[Ryan Chidester] ---

Q: Welcome back Myles!![Chris Agro] ---

Q: Yes different phone #'s[geoff farnsworth] ---

Q: thanks!![CT Kaupp] ---

Q: I have a client whose office in located on the border of two cities. How can they rank for the second city without having an address there? [Marissa Luck] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: several franchise clients have city in name after register name which is required by corporate. Is this hurting the rank?[Stacy Lyles] ---
    A: It could lead to listing deletion eventually. May help in the short-term, but it's a major violation if not part of the actual business name.

Q: Wait--what is G+ listing title?[Peter Troast] ---

Q: I still have the old dashboard, how can I use an upgraded dashboard?[John De Guzman] ---

Q: vs the new dashboard[Rachel Rossicone] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: I have a Chiropractic client with eight location around a major city. Each has its own Google+ page. Should I interlink each Google+ page? Also, each location has its own local page. Should I also add links to the local pages on the Google+ page?[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: Way too complicated to answer here and would need to see to give accurate reply. Please post in the help forum with links and we'll answer after webinar

Q: thanks[Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: do you think google+ local listings in the old dashboard have a harder time ranking? [Rachel Rossicone] ---
    A: probably not, but edits in the dash go live almost instantly which is great

Audience Question:
    Q: I have a Chiropractic client with eight location around a major city. Each has its own Google+ page. Should I interlink each Google+ page? Also, each location has its own local page. Should I also add links to the local pages on the Google+ page?[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: Hey guys for very detailed client Qs we can't just guess without looking please post in help: Google Places Help & Support

Q: Legitamite Reviews are a godsend[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Q: WHen you upgrade a page manually it deactivates the old listing[Stephen Perl] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: what are some ways to face clients whose listings are getting corrupted during this merge?[Christa Morgante] ---
    A: Just say Google always gets a little buggy in middle of major upgrades. Take 2 beers and call me in the morning. (Blumenthal's line.)

Q: Just add a link section[Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Linda please remind us how to tell if you have the new Google dashboard.[Chris Agro] ---
    A: One way to tell is that the new dashboard labels the analytics as "Insights"

Q: with a html link to each other profile[Ernest Lambert] ---

Q: Perhaps he means "Following or +1"[Bill Verboom] ---

Q: Perfect. Thank you![Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Linda please remind us how to tell if you have the new Google dashboard.[Chris Agro] ---
    A: It will look TOTALLY different than the old one you are used to. Hang on I’ll get my announcement with screen shots.

Q: audio is completely cutting off over and over[Josh Kramer] ---

Q: Thanks Linda.[Kenny Atcheson] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Why should we not upgrade or merge G+ now ? and wait for auto-upgrade?[Albert Tang] ---
    A: Google is saying wait. The current process is buggy.

Audience Question:
    Q: are they telling us when this auto upgrade will happen?[Cameron Miller] ---
    A: They aren't saying

Audience Question:
    A: New dash screenshots: http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...board-all.html

Q: How about changing the Google+ name that Google is now offering. I would think for branding that would be a good thing. Agreed?[Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Why should we not upgrade or merge G+ now ? and wait for auto-upgrade?[Albert Tang] ---
    A: Also could create some incompatibility or could possibly have to delete it if it won't merge right. If already did it leave it. IF NOT - THEN DON'T!

Audience Question:
    Q: on Google+ Local we have had two listings combine because of how similar they are, how do we seperate them? e.g. chain of estate agents and two seperate branches combine because their information is similar but they are both different[Henna Rios] ---
    A: Contact Google Phone Support - https://support.google.com/places/?hl=en# RED CONTACT US button

Q: what is the report that was just referred to[Kathleen Rhodes] ---

Q: I can't remember[Bruce Kuehnle] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: For G+ Pages, it currently ties to one location. If you have a client with 30 locations, will Google allow you in the future to have one G+ page to represent all locations?[Clark Morgan] ---
    A: No one knows. They know it's a need. BUT I think they need to get the basic listings all upgraded before they can get the more complicated scenarios figured out.

Audience Question:
    Q: The many times I have spoken to a Google support specailst they tell me the transition should be complete by the end of the year -- I don't know if I beleive them, but that's what I've been told.[Christa Morgante] ---
    A: I've heard various time estimates

Audience Question:
    Q: if you google santa fe vacation rentals there is only one local listing, I have been told it is a ..........[Bruce Kuehnle] ---
    A: http://localsearchforum.catalystemar...one-boxes.html

Audience Question:
    Q: The many times I have spoken to a Google support specailst they tell me the transition should be complete by the end of the year -- I don't know if I beleive them, but that's what I've been told.[Christa Morgante] ---
    Q: Agree with Andrew 100% - we've proven it.[Mark Bossert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: if you google santa fe vacation rentals there is only one local listing, I have been told it is a ..........[Bruce Kuehnle] ---
    A: Some call that BIG PROBLEM a Linda Box now cuz I've raised such a stink about it. ;-)

Q: videos is another way[Alex Bungener] ---

Q: and go for less competitive terms to have a farther reach[Alex Bungener] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Since many people are asking questions about multiple locations...
    What is the better URL structure for multi-location company with one website:
    www.domain.com/dallas
    www.domain.com/fortworth
    or
    www.domain.com/location/dallas
    www.domain.com/location/fortworth[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: multiple locations - tons of answers here: #multi-location - Search Results - Local Search Forum

Audience Question:
    Q: Do you have a recommendation for local businesses who are open 24 hours. Google doesn't provide an option for 24 hour business hours.[Krystal Kenlan] ---
    A: set the hours 9am to 9am to accomplish that

Audience Question:
    Q: Do you have a recommendation for local businesses who are open 24 hours. Google doesn't provide an option for 24 hour business hours.[Krystal Kenlan] ---
    A: Seems they DID. For awhile anyway. There are posts about it at my forum but I don't remember how to format.

Audience Question:
    A: Thanks Colan could not remember.

Audience Question:
    Q: Ive heard rumor that GOogle is conducting sopt checks looking for virtual offices to see if a business is really there?[Josh Konigsberg] ---
    A: They have been for a long time. They are constantly closing down fake and virtual listings.

Audience Question:
    Q: I have mine 12am-12am and it seems to work as 24 hours fyi[Benjamin more] ---
    A: Excellent!

Audience Question:
    Q: So if my client installs hardwood floors and wants to focus on town A, B, and C around city D, would I have a "Hardwood Floor Installation A" to "Hardwood Floor Installation D" pages?[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: You won't likley rank in cities unless office there. Can do it in organic but not usually in the pack.

Audience Question:
    Q: What determines how Google Maps displays just a marker versus a location marker plus bar with more info? Is that advertising with Google or is that more deemded by Authority?[Chris Agro] ---
    A: Not 100% sure what you mean...

Q: Yes, I have seen some progress, but still have some listings in limbo. As for setting hours for 24/7 -- I have tried to set them at 12am to 12am, but then I'm prompted to enter a correct time slot?[Christa Morgante] ---

Q: When I do a search using Google Maps on my smart phone, I often see many markers on the map, but only one that also displays a white bar with the name of the business.[Chris Agro] ---

Q: Please Answer! If my clients search septic service charlton ma.. their site ranks higher organically, then if they are in charlton and just search for septic service.. how do i improve the ranking of the pages when they dont type in geo modifier?[Jim Perry] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Any resources on helping clients recover from bad SEO work and competitive sabotage?[Benjamin more] ---
    A: Here is a good resource for unnatural link manual penalty recovery - Ultimate Guide to Google Penalty Removal - Moz

Q: How should the reveiws be formatted on the page? Should they be linked to G+ and Yelp?[Mike Ellsworth] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Is it possible to get multiple locations listed in Google+ Local/Google places?[Bill Michel] ---
    A: Yes if office is there. If not depends on competition. Easy way to check. If client in city A and wants to rank in City C. Google KW city C and see if any listings are from city A. Usually if competitive all on page one will have City C addresses.

Q: very much appreciated re: recovery link.[Benjamin more] ---

Q: Look at Google's patent. It suggests that NOT all reviews are equal much like backlinks are not equal. [Kenny Atcheson] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: So it will help organically, but not in the local pack[Ernest Lambert] ---
    A: the generic answer is yes. Totally depends on KW and competition.

Q: Not sure how to ask this? But if I type in "limo" and then "nj limo" I get entirely different results in that 7 pack --- if I am signed into google why wouldn't they be the same? NJ Limo brings me results that are miles away from while "limo" brings the companies in my time - confused to the diffrence of those results?[Jill Caren] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Linda, you are a master of the keyboard...I don't know how you get answers so fast but thanks[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: Trying!!! ;-)

Q: ^seriously!![Rachel Rossicone] ---

Q: I am a City Expert. Have not done anything with it.[Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Linda, you are a master of the keyboard...I don't know how you get answers so fast but thanks[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: Thanks to Colan for helping! No way I can keep up with them all!

Audience Question:
    Q: we are a large business who own 100s of branches, we are verified and white listed but sometimes the branch manager clicks manage this page and takes the control of page away from us even though it is on the dashboard, how do we reclaim the page?[Henna Rios] ---
    A: Ohhh that's really complicated and bad. Can you post it in the help forum and we'll answer after event? Google Places Help & Support

Audience Question:
    Q: i understand getting a landmark on google maps is part of an algo as well. any input of what this algo looks for? age of listing, etc?[Rachel Rossicone] ---
    A: I think it depends on stuff like number of citations and just how prominent Google can determine that you are

Q: established G+ accounts?[Alex Bungener] ---

Q: but it is coming[Steven Schoolmeesters] ---

Q: Is it true you can only have one landmark per spot on the map? Is this something that you can beat out a competitor with? Or is it first come first serve...[Rachel Rossicone] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: What are some strategies to encourage reviews?[Jessica Srinivas] ---
    A: Review handouts work really well. Phil has great handouts!

Q: Review page with links also helps[Ernest Lambert] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Are reviews by G+ Business pages still working?[Peter Troast] ---
    A: Last I knew

Q: same for me but haven't tried for awhile. thx![Peter Troast] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Any link to Phil's review handout?[Benjamin more] ---
    A: Phil Rozek: Local Search Help for Your Business | LocalVisibilitySystem.com Search there no time to look.

Audience Question:
    Q: Any link to Phil's review handout?[Benjamin more] ---
    A: Get Google+ Local Reviews in 3 Minutes Flat | LocalVisibilitySystem.com and Review Handout Generator from Whitespark and Local Visibility System

Audience Question:
    Q: Phil, can you show us some of the review handouts that Linda is talking about?[Mike Ellsworth] ---
    A: Webinar Q & A – For questions we can’t get to during the event: Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion - Free Webinar

Q: Gold. Thank you.[Benjamin more] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: This was by far one of the BEST webinars I have attended. And I attend many. Good job people!![Chris Agro] ---
    A: THANK YOU ALL TOO!

Q: Myles your head should be in the crystal ball[Chris Agro] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Phil, can you show us some of the review handouts that Linda is talking about?[Mike Ellsworth] ---
    A: Review Handout Generator from Whitespark and Local Visibility System and Get Google+ Local Reviews in 3 Minutes Flat | LocalVisibilitySystem.com

Audience Question:
    Q: Yes, this has been AMAZING.[Benjamin more] ---
    A: Video Replay up in a few days here: InsideLocal: Expert Local Search Webinar Series - 100% FreeBrightLocal or here: InsideLocal Webinars

Q: Can we create localized content strategy on the G+ page instead of the website?[Joel Seale] ---

Q: What IS a Localized Content Strategy exactly?[Rob Swick] ---

Q: I want that app![Chris Agro] ---

Q: USER GENERATED CONTENT![Daniel Lhanie] ---

Q: AKA REVIEWS[Daniel Lhanie] ---

Audience Question:
    Q: Status update on location page? Are you talking about the client's website or the Plus page?[Kenny Atcheson] ---
    A: Not sure what he meant. Ask in the QA thread after. Webinar Q & A – For questions we can’t get to during the event: Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion - Free Webinar

Audience Question:
    Q: How about verified reviews like on sites from DemandForce versus anyone with a Google account. Does Google consider them differently?[Chris Agro] ---
    A: Google loves reviews on those type of sites

Audience Question:
    Q: Q. If you have a business with 5 locations and 5 sections (one for each) on the site, each with their own contact page.... and matched Google Plus listings.. Is that just as good as having 5 separate websites?[Rob Swick] ---
    A: That's BETTER. "United we stand" with one site works best.

Audience Question:
    Q: Any resource to the onsite review strategy mentioned with the "plumber" example[Brian Childers] ---
    A: I missed it. So not sure who said. Can maybe catch on recording or ask in QA thread: Webinar Q & A – For questions we can’t get to during the event: Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion - Free Webinar

Audience Question:
    Q: Any resource to the onsite review strategy mentioned with the "plumber" example[Brian Childers] ---
    A: Sorry missed it. I can't listen/watch and read Qs and type at same time. Can't walk and chew gum either. ;-)

Q: awesome job guys ![Mark Bossert] ---
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Q&A and Chat Log from the 11/21 Local Ranking Debate Webinar

Not a lot of interest in the chat log. Mainly just some links I dropped. Sorry it's all run together. I can't do any more formmatting. Stripped a ton out so it's as good as I have time to do it right now. Here it is...

Andrew Shotland (to Organizer(s) Only): 20+ Signals That Make Your Business Easier To Find in Local Search Engines
    seeing it change
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Mike Ramsey’s MOZ post is really good: 40 Important Local Search Questions Answered
    40 Important Local Search Questions Answered - Moz
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Top 20 Local Search Ranking Factors: An Illustrated Guide by Miram Ellis: Top 20 Local Search Ranking Factors: An Illustrated Guide - Moz
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Webinar Q & A – For questions we can’t get to during the event: Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion - Free Webinar
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): YES don't upgrade or merge now. Wait for auto-upgrade
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): TOOLS
    Bright Rank Checker: Local Search Rank Checker | Google+ Local Rankings Google Places Rank CheckerBrightLocal
    BrightLocal AWESOME Local SEO Check-up: Brightlocal.com - Local SEO Check-Up | Complete Local SEO Report | Local SEO Audit | Local SEO AnalysisBrightLocal

Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Webinar Q & A – For questions we can’t get to during the event: Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion - Free Webinar
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Video Replay up in a few days here: InsideLocal: Expert Local Search Webinar Series - 100% FreeBrightLocal or here: InsideLocal Webinars
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Thanks to all the speakers!
    Linda Buquet (to All - Entire Audience): Andrew Shotland: Local SEO Guide
    Mike Ramsey: Local Search Marketing by Nifty Marketing | Your Local SEO Experts
    Phil Rozek: Local Search Help for Your Business | LocalVisibilitySystem.com
    Dev Basu: Toronto SEO & Inbound Marketing Agency | Powered by Search

Thanks go out to Colan, my right hand man at the Local Search Forum, for helping me in Q & A. Here is link to his company: Internet Marketing for Small Businesses | Imprezzio Marketing | Search Engine Marketing and Online Marketing
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".
    Advanced reply Reply