More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
What are the benefits of merging/verifying your Google+ Local page and Google+ Business page.
AND should you bother to try to do it yet or wait???

Phil Rosek just did a great post highlighting some of the unique benefits available to you, if you've already merged/verified. Then in comments Mike Blumenthal, Phil and I all weigh in on whether you SHOULD merge if you have not yet. (Guess what we all advise...) :eek:

Low-Hanging Fruit on Google+Local Pages | LocalVisibilitySystem.com

Some business owners have decided not to bother “upgrading” manually and choose instead to wait until Google finally rolls out the upgraded version for everyone automatically.

But here’s why I’m writing: extremely few business that have access to the (relatively) new bells and whistles have actually been using them.

There are 3 Google+Local features I’ve seen few to no businesses use. I consider them low-hanging fruit because they’re easy to put into action and benefit from.

Go read the rest and also read the comments from Mike and I.

As Mike and I both pointed out, the ability to add videos is another PLUS that should be highlighted.

The other major benefit to merging that I said should be mentioned, is the ability to POST updates. We lost that feature on the old G+L pages, plus there updates were limited to 160 characters.

Now with the fully merged and upgraded pages businesses can essentially do full blog posts right on their page, complete with links and product images. I think this is a BIGGIE! (Just added that comment, not approved yet.)

Still with all the benefits of merging, all the cool bells and whistles and yes, the low hanging fruit... if you have NOT merged yet - should you???

All 3 of us advise waiting in most cases. It's still pretty buggy and can result in unknown consequences sometimes, with as yet unknown solutions. (Like the 500 errors that have been dragging on for weeks without a fix.)

But if you have already merged and everything is working, then all the features Phil talks about are def ones you should be taking advantage of!

Have you merged any listings yet? If so, how's it going?
Considering merging? Has this post helped you decide which way to go?
Or are you more confused now than ever???

Hey Linda, thanks again for stopping by the blog, and for the post here!

Great observations, as always.

I'd be really interested in whether you and anyone else here at the Forum have noticed that weird "missing tab" phenomenon (the "Videos" tab not showing up, even on "upgraded" Google+Local pages - leaving a total of only 3 tabs).

P.S. The Censorship Ministry at LocalVisibilitySystem.com has approved your comments :)

I'd be really interested in whether you and anyone else here at the Forum have noticed that weird "missing tab" phenomenon (the "Videos" tab not showing up, even on "upgraded" Google+Local pages - leaving a total of only 3 tabs).

P.S. The Censorship Ministry at LocalVisibilitySystem.com has approved your comments :)

Oh, I meant to comment on that too. That's the 1st time I've seen a 3 tab listing. WEIRD! Bug I assume or who knows...

Tell the Censorship Ministry over there thanks for approving my comments. :p

Great post, Phil!

I'm curious to see what modifications to Google's Quality guidelines will be made with the new merged pages. In particular I'm assuming they will address the new social features.

Or am I over thinking things?

Not noticed any "3 tab" listings yet but will keep an eye out.

So far we've only upgraded one of our clients and there have been a few bugs. There was an issue with the phone number format, which took about 4-5 weeks to resolve. Now we can't make any edits as it sends us to a 500 Error page.

The benefits could be great if used to the max, but the bugs are kind of annoying. Six of one and half a dozen of the other, as we say.

I'm curious to see what modifications to Google's Quality guidelines will be made with the new merged pages. In particular I'm assuming they will address the new social features.

Or am I over thinking things?

Can't over-think things when it comes to Google Local, the guidelines OR the unwritten rules. There will be consequences to your social actions... :p

So far we've only upgraded one of our clients and there have been a few bugs. There was an issue with the phone number format, which took about 4-5 weeks to resolve. Now we can't make any edits as it sends us to a 500 Error page.

The benefits could be great if used to the max, but the bugs are kind of annoying. Six of one and half a dozen of the other, as we say.

Thanks Nick - yep lots of pros and cons no matter how you cut it!

Can't over-think things when it comes to Google Local, the guidelines OR the unwritten rules. There will be consequences to your social actions... :p

It would be sweet if they make the guidelines a tad more obvious. Although it can be fun trying to read between some of the lines. Picture Robert Langdon trying to decipher The Da Vinci Code :p[h=3][/h]

@Colan
Thanks for your compliments! Yeah, I also have no idea when the GQG will be updated (I?m assuming it?s a question of ?when,? not ?if?). One would hope that they address the dos and don?ts in a clear and timely manner, but that might be asking a bit much. As we all know, Google can be like the surgeon who hurries to stitch up his patient and then wonders ?Geez, where did I put my scalpel and that pack of gum??

@Nick
Interesting intel. I hadn?t heard about the 500 error until you mentioned it and until Mike posted on it today. I?m sure there?s a post to be had on the other of ?the few bugs? you mention!

@Linda
Amen to ?Can?t over-think things?!

@Nick
Interesting intel. I hadn’t heard about the 500 error until you mentioned it and until Mike posted on it today. I’m sure there’s a post to be had on the other of “the few bugs” you mention!

Phil here's the main 500 error thread at the G forum that's been a sticky at top of forum and is filled with problem reports ever since Aug 15th. 500 Error when trying to verify social local Google+ page? Sometimes it happens when verifying and sometimes it happens just when trying to manage the page.
I added a link to Kaleh's tips in that thread earlier too.

Thanks for the intel, Linda. Although that thread looks vaguely familiar, and I?m sure I saw something about the 500 error problem over the summer, it?s basically news to me (I don?t spend a lot of time on the G forum). Good to know about!

---------- Post Merged at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Thanks for the intel, Linda. Although that thread looks vaguely familiar, and I?m sure I saw something about the 500 error problem over the summer, it?s basically news to me (I don?t spend a lot of time on the G forum). Good to know about!

Similar question ( I don't know if I should start a new thread), but my client is interested in Google + local pages for its 200+ locations. Does it make sense for me to recommend that they wait until the bulk upload feature is available? or should we bite the bullet and manually enter all of them?

Similar question ( I don't know if I should start a new thread), but my client is interested in Google + local pages for its 200+ locations. Does it make sense for me to recommend that they wait until the bulk upload feature is available? or should we bite the bullet and manually enter all of them?

Hi britty2451,

Let me make sure I'm clear on the situation. You said Google+ Local but have a feeling you meant Google+ Business pages. Are you saying...

1) They don't have ANYTHING yet and you want to set up new Google+ Local pages? If THIS is the case, there is already bulk upload.

2) OR They already have Place pages (Google+ Local) but now they want to add and merge with Google+ Business pages??? (So they have reviews and social features all on the same page?)

If your Q is the latter then A) Merging or verifying G+ pages is not supported for multi-location businesses. B) Even if just a single location business that DOES qualify to merge/verify Google says WAIT and experts including me really say hold off because it's just too buggy still.

See this: http://localsearchforum.catalystema...dont-merge-google-local-g-business-pages.html

OR if you meant something else please explain in more detail because page names and actions are really confusing now.

Hi britty2451,

Let me make sure I'm clear on the situation. You said Google+ Local but have a feeling you meant Google+ Business pages. Are you saying...

1) They don't have ANYTHING yet and you want to set up new Google+ Local pages? If THIS is the case, there is already bulk upload.

2) OR They already have Place pages (Google+ Local) but now they want to add and merge with Google+ Business pages??? (So they have reviews and social features all on the same page?)

If your Q is the latter then A) Merging or verifying G+ pages is not supported for multi-location businesses. B) Even if just a single location business that DOES qualify to merge/verify Google says WAIT and experts including me really say hold off because it's just too buggy still.

See this: http://localsearchforum.catalystema...dont-merge-google-local-g-business-pages.html

OR if you meant something else please explain in more detail because page names and actions are really confusing now.

Sorry for the confusion. I dont want to bulk upload into Google pages if I will have to merge them into Google+ local business pages . They don't have anything yet. Can you point me to directions on how to bulk upload?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom