More threads by Bishop

Bishop

Reaction score
Hi-

I heard the Bright Local webbinar with Linda today and I had a question. I small biz that has no storefront, so I should hide my address, right? How do i hide my address without hurting my ranking?

P.S. I also heard Linda give a tip about getting your hidden address default to downtown, how do you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bishop.

Need to eat lunch and play email catch up. Will be back to answer later today.

But I'm moving this post to the SAB Forum where you will find lots of answers.

@Bishop

Hiding your address doesn't hurt your rankings. So I'd go ahead and do it.

Hi-

I heard the Bright Local webbinar with Linda today and I had a question. I small biz that has no storefront, so I should hide my address, right? How do i hide my address without hurting my ranking?

P.S. I also heard Linda give a tip about getting your hidden address default to downtown, how do you do that?

Phil is right hiding address does not hurt ranking any more like it used to. As I said on webinar tons of hidden address listings rank A.

For the map marker placement, Google put the marker in center of whatever you say is your service area.

If you list 3 cities, it will calc the center, even if it's out in country in the forest.

If you list your city + zip it will place it in center of your zip.

If you list your city only, it will place it in center of city.

Again that setting does not affect your ranking at all, just the map marker which could help if someone is looking for a provider that's centrally located. But depending on your market and zip, could be better to leave zip in there. All depends.

Check this out. A Carpet cleaner out in Lake Michigan due to bad service area settings:
New Google SAB Update + Don't Make this Frightful Mistake!

I am so bummed that I missed the seminar today. I had to meet with a client so now I will have to wait for the recording. I feel like I have a good handle on SAB but I am always looking to learn more and this seminar was one that I requested.

Look forward to getting the video in your hands Michael. It was a good one!

I just got it. Am working on embedding it now. Will post link here when it's ready in next 10 minutes or so.

I think it is important to realize that hiding an address at this point does not affect rankings. But there are pros and cons to hiding addresses. As Linda mentioned above, the icon will center it self in the service area that you mark. This could make you look good in that you cover the entire metro. However, a user may show preference to a business that looks to be closer in proximity to them. More of a support the hometown business attitude. Further, certain users may want to see an actual business building. Depending on the aesthetics of your building, this could go both ways. Overall, reviews will still trump these factors in getting people to actually call you.

Thank you for the replies everyone!

Is screenshot below the correct setting if I serve customers at their location and do not have a store where I serve customers (ie plumber)?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
google.png
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

P.S. I loved your tips on the webbinar!! When is the next webbinar you are doing??

google.png

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom