More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Boost Review Follow-Through With this "How to Ask for Reviews" Formula & Script

Here's a great video to have clients watch that gives them coaching on how to ask for reviews.

Many business owners/employees don't ask because they are uncomfortable and don't know what to say. It's helpful to offer them coaching on how to ask for reviews in a way that is comfortable, effective yet does not make the customer feel pressured in any way.

There are some psychological triggers that are very subtle, yet powerful that help increase the likelihood the customer/patient will follow through and actually leave the review.

Here is a soft, easy effective formula & script for asking for reviews --- and getting them!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bIxqV6V2SAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

These tips come from Bob Sommers from Five Star Review System, an extremely comprehensive review service that I think is worth looking into. (Not to be confused with getfivestars.com which is another great review service we've talked about here at the forum before.) Bob tends to really specialize in Dentistry which is how I met him, but his system works for all types of businesses and includes a "review funnel" strategy.

In our latest InsideLocal webinar (Service Area Business Issues) one of our speakers, Thomas Ballantyne from Bulwark Pest Control talked about the fact that if you ASK customers face to face after they just got great service - the reciprocity factor kicks in and they are more likely to follow through and give you one than if you just send a follow up email. So they train their technicians to ask for reviews.

Thomas said: "When a customer is standing before you happy, satisfied, and smiling, they are ready to write you a glowing review. You just have to smile back and ASK."

But business owners and especially staff WON'T ask if they are not comfortable - you need to give them a script and some coaching to help them with the process. I think the video above is a tool that could help.

Re: Boost Review Follow-Through With this "How to Ask for Reviews" Formula & Script

This is great! Thanks!

Re: Boost Review Follow-Through With this "How to Ask for Reviews" Formula & Script

Bob's a competitor, but I gotta say: He nails it! Great bit of training here.

Is it against Google's Quality Guidelines to offer coupons for reviews? I'm almost 100% sure that it is, but I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere at the moment.

I believe it falls under "Conflict of Interest" here: https://support.google.com/places/answer/2622994?hl=en

Conflict of interest: Reviews are only valuable when they are honest and unbiased. For instance, as a business owner or employee you should not review your own business or place of work. Don?t offer money or product to others to write reviews for your business or write negative reviews about a competitor. We also discourage specialized review stations or kiosks set up at your place of business for the sole purpose of soliciting reviews. As a reviewer, you should not accept money or product from a business to write a review about them. Additionally, don?t feel compelled to review a certain way just because an employee of that business asked you to do so.

Is it against Google's Quality Guidelines to offer coupons for reviews? I'm almost 100% sure that it is, but I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere at the moment.

Yes it's a violation to offer any type of incentive. Why did Bob's strategy suggest that? If so, I'm sorry I missed it. I would never advocate that.

I just tuned into the psychology of asking for a favor, let them know how long it will take and the way he follows up.

Bob has a lot of integrity and it is one of the products we recommend for the DIY crowd.

He is very invested in helping business owners get solid reviews and we did a hangout with him in early 2013: Business Reputation & Customer Reviews

I get a call from him once in a while, he awesome all around...and so is his wife.

2013bobsommers.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom