Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Responsive sites rank higher?

    I was just told by an SEO consultant that Google prefers a site built responsively over a site with a mobile website. Just want to check my facts. Is that for certain and if so does it make a big impact on your ranking?

    Thanks!
    Kelly

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks (Received)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    As far as I know, that's incorrect. Google's official comments on the topic are that visitors using a mobile device should be redirected to the appropriate format for their device. Whether that occurs as a redirection to a separately constructed version of the site or as a downsized "responsive" site is immaterial.

    If you use a separate mobile version, I believe I read somewhere in the policies that it should be clearly designated as such, e.g., m.amazon.com rather than just amazon.com.

    If anyone knows of anything that contradicts my comments here, please do wade in.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    Thanks for your help with that. My client was being told they need to recreate their site to a responsive design. In this case, I did not think it warranted the effort if only for the hopes of complying with recommendation that it needed to be responsive and their ranking issues would be solved.

    Thanks!
    Kelly

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks (Received)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    Google has a long article on the pros and cons of each approach to sites for mobile devices here: https://developers.google.com/webmas...-sites/details

    Google does indicate that it has a preference for responsive designs and lists the reasons why, but there's no indication anywhere that I can see that this provides a ranking advantage over other options for mobile sites.

    See also: Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Responsive design – harnessing the power of media queries and https://developers.google.com/webmas...ment-checklist

    There's a good discussion of the pros and cons here: Google Groups

    And here is Matt Cutts discussing the issue:


  5. #5
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    129
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    The problem that Google dislikes is when a searcher clicks on a link to a specific page and then they are redirected to a mobile home page (and not that specific page).

    For example, if I was searching for blue widgets in Las Vegas and in the search results I see the link mysite.com/products/blue-widgets and I click it (on my phone) and i end up at m. mysite .com which then I would have to click through the mobile web site and try to find that specific page if it is even there.

    Also applies to blog posts (articles) that redirect in the same way.

    Responsive sites prevent this bad user experience from happening. M-Dot site versions (or even external mobile site scripts) can also work if they are set up on a page by page correlation, but most people just make any give page re-direct to the mobile home landing page, which isn't always a good thing.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    45
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    I would say that the KISS philosophy applies to something like this. If responsive design means less things can go wrong then that should be your choice.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks (Received)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schueler View Post
    The problem that Google dislikes is when a searcher clicks on a link to a specific page and then they are redirected to a mobile home page (and not that specific page).

    For example, if I was searching for blue widgets in Las Vegas and in the search results I see the link mysite.com/products/blue-widgets and I click it (on my phone) and i end up at m. mysite .com which then I would have to click through the mobile web site and try to find that specific page if it is even there.

    Also applies to blog posts (articles) that redirect in the same way.

    Responsive sites prevent this bad user experience from happening. M-Dot site versions (or even external mobile site scripts) can also work if they are set up on a page by page correlation, but most people just make any give page re-direct to the mobile home landing page, which isn't always a good thing.
    Agreed. But that's poor redirection and easily avoided with an appropriate .htaccess file.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    Responsiveness actually has nothing much to do with redirecting to a mobile friendly site.

    Most websites that are built today come responsive out of the box and it makes sense to go responsive primarily because ~25% of local searches are mobile and you don't want customers bouncing off a site that doesn't render properly in mobile.

    As for whether responsiveness affects how Google ranks your website - the answer is NO. The Googlebot doesn't really know whether a site is responsive or not while crawling the page.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    49
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    Honestly I switched to a responsive theme and saw immediate boost in ranking from page 6 to 1. This has just been my experience though

    ---------- Post Merged at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:00 AM ----------

    Also has everyone not heard that moblie is gaining? Desktops will be obsolete in the future

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks (Received)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: Responsive sites rank higher?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goku770 View Post
    Honestly I switched to a responsive theme and saw immediate boost in ranking from page 6 to 1. This has just been my experience though
    That doesn't mean the theme was responsible for the change in ranking, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goku770 View Post
    Also has everyone not heard that moblie is gaining? Desktops will be obsolete in the future
    Doubtful.

Similar Threads

  1. Dupe Listing Ranks Higher
    By Linda Buquet in forum Google Duplicates & Merges
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM
  2. Help my vet hospital rank higher in Indianapolis
    By IndianapolisVet in forum Help & Support for Google Local
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •