More threads by Cam

Cam

Reaction score
Question about 2500 "Brand Name" external links coming from forum signature

Good morning everyone,

I have a question for those of you that know more about link building than I do.

I have never been a backlink builder and have always relied on on page content diversity to rank my website which has always done well for me.

However, after the Penguin 2.1 update back in October I changed my forum signature from a technology forum that I was active on for many years and have over 5000 posts on from

Computer Repair Wilmington NC to my brand name PC Medics On Call

my question is this, does this get looked at by Google as a SPAM signal when the Majority of my lnbound links are coming from this forum signature and despite the fact that I am using a natural "Brand Name" anchor text I am still wondering is this may be affecting me.

None of these links from the forum signature are spam or quick comments! This a technology forum that I was actively involved on for years where I was giving support for the community and so forth, prior to becoming a web master.

Here is the RemoveEm link where you can see my lame external link profile Anchor Text Over Optimization Tool and Anchor Text Diversity Report by Remove'em

What are everyones thoughts on this matter please? Are these links doing more harm then good? If so, I can rectify that quick smart!

Thank you.

Cam

Re: Question about 2500 "Brand Name" external links coming from forum signature

Sorry Cam, I don't deal with backlinks at all either, but based on that report it looks like you should be OK since you are over-optimized for Brand, not KWs.

But given the current state of things with Google, you just gave me a good idea for a forum mod. (Not here, but a general forum mod) Split sigs. So you could diversify your sig instead of having all 5000 be the same anchor. :p

But given the current state of things with Google, you just gave me a good idea for a forum mod. (Not here, but a general forum mod) Split sigs. So you could diversify your sig instead of having all 5000 be the same anchor. :p

Now that is a fabulous idea Linda! I wish that were a universal option.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this matter or, have I posted this in the wrong section of the forum?

Cam

I would think that you are fine. G certainly understands that people are active on forums. If you had one link from 2500 comments spread across 2500 forums- that might be a problem.

If it's an exact match type anchor text link that is followed I would be a little concerned about it.

If it's the brand name as you now have it I would think that's perfectly fine.

---------- Post Merged at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:53 PM ----------

I think it comes down to whether or not the link is followed and what the intent is.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom