More threads by Allen101

Reaction score
I know this sounds like a dumb question but I have been doing some google research for my keywords I would like to rank for. So I thought I would google my keywords in a big city. My reasoning is, a website in a big city would have to optimize there site for local search like crazy and have to be on there A game for local ranking. When I came across this website from Los Angeles TV Installation | Home Theater Installation | CCTV Security Camera. They are first on google local when I looked. They only have keywords in there titles for there pages. They have no city or state in there titles. Now why is that? Is that because they have landing pages for every city they offer service to? You can see from this page We serve the following Cities in USA for Installation - Audiovideoking they optimized different pages for every city they offer service too.

Hi Allen,

Took a quick glance at the site in Open Site Explorer and for that page it shows a domain authority of 32, page authority of 43, and 712 links from domains that appear to have high domain authority.

Question-

What term did you search for when you found audiovideoking.com ranking first in Local?

P.S. there are no dumb questions here :D

Hey Amber, I was searching "TV installation Los Angeles"

Thank you for replying to my question

What term did you search for when you found audiovideoking.com ranking first in Local?

Glad you asked Amber. I didn't answer because I was not sure which KW and did not have time to ask.

That listing ranks high in maps but not in pure organic. So that SERP is not blended, or at least that listing isn't.

Having city and state in title tags would be best practice for organic SEO, however based on the Place page G knows they have an LA office.

Plus Google is likely getting other strong signals.

For instance searching "TV installation" "Los Angeles" "(323) 332-6781" brings up over 17,000 matches. So there are quite a few citations for LA that use that KW.

But the biggie is that SERP seems to be the new Places algo, not blended.

I get this one in the A spot: www.modtechdesigns.blogspot.com/
No city in title tag either. Nor anywhere on the page.

Re: Why City & State in Title of page

"TV Installation" occurs 10 times on the page and an extra 7 times buried in the coding.
"Installation" occurs 29 times on the page and an extra 46 times in the coding!
"Los Angeles" only occurs once....

The G+ link at the top of the page takes me to what looks like is a personal profile disguised as a business page but "he" has a lot going on in the "Links" section of that page and 240 people have "him" in their circle.

https://plus.google.com/107033668949012622675/about?hl=en

I can't give you a "This is why they are ranking" so, I apologize if I have only given you more to question but, I have to assume that with linking said to be roughly 40% of the algorithm this is why we are seeing this page in the 7-pack for a local query despite it's lack of local optimization.

Also interesting is the view in map maker- West Los Angeles looks favored....
https://maps.google.com/maps?sll=29...3076,1.0608050000657867&output=classic&dg=opt

Hopefully others can shed some light here.

Best,

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Plus Google is likely getting other strong signals.

For instance searching "TV installation" "Los Angeles" "(323) 332-6781" brings up over 17,000 matches. So there are quite a few citations for LA that use that KW.

Great point, Linda. Did not even think to look at number of citations. They link to some of those citations from their G+ profile.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom