More threads by ccastell88

Reaction score
Hi i was wondering is there much benefit in linking to the Google Places listing (e.g to https://plus.google.com/105249706408280194726/about?gl=au&hl=en) improve its rankings and local visibility in the search results?

I've been building citations, with the correct and consistent NAP but it doesn't seem to be helping the listing improve.

I'm thinking to start linking citations like Yelp, True Local, etc to the actual GP listing

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Most experts feel backlinking to the Place does not have any benefit. I think Blumenthal blogged about it with some data or reasoning awhile back too.

I don't need to echo what Linda said, she was spot on.

Since Hummingbird there has been talk of building links to other directories (like Yelp!), to get the actual listing to rank in SERPs.

David Mihm wrote about it here:
Hummingbird's Unsung Impact on Local Search - Moz

Quote from the post:
"The Barnacle opportunity is huge, for independent and national businesses alike. With Google's new weighting towards directories in organic results and the unblending of packs, barnacle listings present an opportunity for savvy businesses to earn three first-page positions for the same keyword?one pack listing, one web listing, and one (or more) barnacle listing."

So this may not help you rank in maps, it may help you rank in organic.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom