More threads by raylaminac

Reaction score
Hello,
As you all know part of successfully managing a local listing is making updates, tweaks, and general edits from time to time; and, as you all know these edits will sometimes force a re-verification postcard. In the past couple of weeks I have been facing an error that will not permit me to apply the pin after getting the postcard back. I get an error styled message that says I already own the listing and prompts me to either edit the listing, or cancel the action.

Google Pin Error.jpg

Sorry the image is so small. Verbatim the page reads:
"The business is already in your account
You've already added this business to your account. Do you want to make any changes?
[Edit Information] [Cancel]"

The first time I saw this I was a little concerned but my listing was still showing so it didn't strike me as something that immediately needed to be addressed but it has happened several other times now on different client's and I have not found a way to get around this.

I have encountered situations where I have needed to be added as a manager or owner, and these are not those kind of scenarios.

Google Pin Error.jpg

As you all know part of successfully managing a local listing is making updates, tweaks, and general edits from time to time; and, as you all know these edits will sometimes force a re-verification postcard. In the past couple of weeks I have been facing an error that will not permit me to apply the pin after getting the postcard back. I get an error styled message that says I already own the listing and prompts me to either edit the listing, or cancel the action.

Hi Ray,

Not really sure what you mean by "As you all know part of successfully managing a local listing..." and why you are tweaking so much? Edits should not require verification unless you are changing name or address and you should not be making any minor tweaks to NAP except if something is wrong. Then once corrected you should not need to change again.

In the real world businesses are not constantly changing their name and address, so my best guess is you are getting error due to too many verifications. Maybe you tripped a filter or something?

Good Response!

I do not make edits often or take them lightly. Originally though my setup process was not as full proof and accurate as it is now so on occasion NAP edits are necessary. Other circumstances force a postcard for even Category, Description, or Image edits even. Its very hit or miss, but please do not think I'm in there aimlessly tinkering with things! :eek:

Category changes will range from editing the primary category, removing one that does not benefit them, or even adding some to improve their reach, so there really isn't anything too uniform there to be labeled as a clear trigger that I can see.

All other edits can be as minor as removing a word in the description to changing the logo, or adding business hours.

It would definitely appear that the older clients that have more recently upgraded to the new dashboard are more prone to forcing the PC but there are still some fairly new ones that will push it though.

After getting that pin back is where they prevent me from adding it, to me it looks like there is an issue on Google's side that is preventing it from being re-verified because it is already claimed and is seeing that I already own it. So why force another postcard?

Maybe I am tripping a filter, but I have never had an issue with re-verifying a listing for any reason??

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were needlessly tinkering. Someone in another thread I just helped thought you should still poke listings all the time by doing minor edits, so I thought maybe you thought the same thing. There are 'experts' out there that say Google loves fresh content so change up your G+L listing all the time... :rolleyes:

I'm curious if anyone else is having a similar problem with having to verify even when not making NAP changes OR having the PIN problem Ray is having?

Oh no, you're fine Linda :p

But I'm not doing the fresh content or listing pokes, sorry I missed that post I'll have to go take a look.

Thank you for looking into this !

Ray,

Is it possible to see a screenshot of the dashboard for that account?

I called Google's Support line and they were actually very friendly and were able to rectify the situation. Only took about 10 min too, so thats nice.

I wasn't able to really get any insight on the source of the issue unfortunately. Its nice to know that there is a solution, but avoiding the problem all together would be ideal.

I was told by support that if you happen to change a few things at once that occasionally it can cause the listing to require re-verifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier this week I went into a dash to add categories since the listing I was working on only had one to begin with. In order for me to save changes G wanted me to re-verify. I was thinking about calling support as well.

I called Google's Support line and they were actually very friendly and were able to rectify the situation. Only took about 10 min too, so thats nice.

I wasn't able to really get any insight on the source of the issue unfortunately. Its nice to know that there is a solution, but avoiding the problem all together would be ideal.

Yes google support is very helpful. However now you need to monitor this account diligently. I called support and they were helpful and did eventually get my listings fixed however one listing was marked as closed and I didn't pick it up for a while. You should be fine, just monitor. Also I did drop significantly in ranking but it returned in a few weeks, if this happens, patience is the key.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom