More threads by Chris McCreery

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.29.09 PM.png

Haven't gotten the email warning but have started noticing this message now on a few listings that I manage.

Also this one on the Google+ after I confirm the above listing

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.32.36 PM.jpg

Is this something new or is it just making it's way to Canada now? :)

EDIT BY LINDA: Split off from this thread as it's a new country involved now:

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-google-may-delete-your-places-listing-2.html

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.29.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.32.36 PM.jpg

oneboxbarber.jpg

Re: Is this new? Google May Delete Your Places Listing?

I have not seen this in the US yet. I hope it's not making it's way around the world.

Maybe it's a way to cut down on some of the spammy listings that seem to be prevalent in some areas.

Oh dear! You got that on a few Canadian listings?

As far as I knew it was only supposed to be affecting Australia.

Chris, I'm going to split this off into a new thread.

FYI this is how the Aussie warnings started. One consultant noticed several warnings in several dashboards. No email warnings. Then a few days later the emails started going out.

Looks like it's making it's way to the smaller regions before hitting the US.

Yes Chris, I wondered if that would happen.

I'm alerting Colan and Joy because they have tons of Canadian listings. Want to see if they are aware or seeing these warnings.

Anyone else see them in Canada?

I just asked Colan, Joy if they are seeing warnings yet.

And also Google just asked Google about it. Will let you know when I get word.

I just asked Colan, Joy if they are seeing warnings yet.

And also Google just asked Google about it. Will let you know when I get word.

I haven't seen anything yet. I'll keep an eye out and I'll alert the team.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Mark Goho said ALL his listings have the warning.

Talked to Google and I think I'll have a clarifying statement or more info soon.

But if you see the warning just hit submit. If no warning, then don't worry.

Saw my first example. Hit the Submit button. Message went away.

After you hit submit and go back to the G+ do get a different progress box at the top with "In Progress" in it? Like the image I shared originally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, no I'm not seeing that Chris.

Looks like those who received the e-mail warning have until tomorrow to submit an edit - https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/business/announcements/balkyN9IfC8

" You?ll need to do this for all listings in your account by February 21, 2014, so they can stay on Google Maps. Otherwise, you?ll need to add your business information and undergo PIN verification using Google Places again. "

I imagine the e-mail is only sent out to accounts that haven't been active for a long time. I'm guessing several months at least. If that's the case, this is a great idea on Google's behalf since it will get rid of a lot of hidden merged duplicates.

Looks like those who received the e-mail warning have until tomorrow to submit an edit - https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/business/announcements/balkyN9IfC8

" You’ll need to do this for all listings in your account by February 21, 2014, so they can stay on Google Maps. Otherwise, you’ll need to add your business information and undergo PIN verification using Google Places again."

Colan that was the original post with the 1st warning went out to Aussies. Since these Canada warnings are just starting to go out (from what we've see) I would assume there is a different compliance date.

I just emailed Jade about the fact you raising this issue and suggested editing that post now that there is a 2nd wave of warnings just going out.

Chris and Colan
May I ask what verticals you are seeing the message in?

Mike, the one I saw was for our company page. So, Marketing Agency vertical.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Jackson Lo just posted on G+

"Over a hundred Canadian restaurants listings that we've claimed in the last year were affected. Good golly!"

And above that Tony who was the 1st to spot the Aussie sweep said:

"In Australia it took about a week after the warnings before the emails started."

" You’ll need to do this for all listings in your account by February 21, 2014, so they can stay on Google Maps. Otherwise, you’ll need to add your business information and undergo PIN verification using Google Places again."

I reached out to Google about this and asked them to edit the date and was basically told...
(paraphrasing below)

The February 21 deadline only applies to users that Google sent email warnings to.

If a user sees the message in the dashboard (but no email) then it's OK and there is, no imminent threat of being deleted. Just follow the instructions, check, edit if needed and submit OR if all OK just hit submit. The message will go away.

If you didn't get an email and do not have a message in the dashboard, there is no action required.

So above is what Google told me. What I will add, which is only my advice and did not come from Google is that unlike what we were told for the Aussie sweep, in this round - emails DID NOT go out for every listing. My understanding is that most listings in Canada have the dash warning, but only listings that are more of a concern to Google, for whatever reason, get a warning email.

So IMO that means if you have Canadian listings, you need to log in. If there is a red warning, just follow instructions. No red warning, don't need to do anything and there will not be a submit button. But I'd advise at least logging in to check your listing which should be done regularly anyway.

I am in Canada, and 3 of the 4 Google + pages I manage had the warning. I just hit the submit button. The Google + page that did not have the warning was only created 1 month ago, and was only verified 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the heads up :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom