More threads by ColoradoChris

Reaction score
Ok, so I could not find the help / website design section if there is one, so I hope I am not stepping on any toes.

So my questions:

I am looking to create the whole package. Good Backlink Profile, Domain Authority, and site optimization.

So a part of this package is what to use as a base for a successful website?

I have read that Google loves wordpress, mainly due to new content - Usually, but not always the case.

But maybe the theory actually is that is does not matter what you use, just as long as you use it properly. Like properly formatted title tags, H tags, and keyword usage.

So just curious what you have had success with as a platform? If you do say that you like wordpress, could you please recommend a theme? Or maybe you like using a framework? Like Genesis, thesis, or???

I worry about page speed, and just trying to make sure I am following the majority of people. Ok call me a sheep, but I want to stay close to the flock.

Chris

I crossed over to Wordpress a few years ago and haven't looked back. I love it. Cuts my development work in half which frees me up to spend time of more important things such as SEO. It also make SEO easier. I'm working on a php site (non CMS) now and hate it. I'm spoiled.

As for a theme, I demand flexibility. For SEO and conversion optimization I need to be able to put whatever widgets I want on whichever page I want. I started with Rockettheme because they were the only ones that had that kind of flexibility. Since then I've also starting using Yoothemes. They're pretty good with lots of flexibility. Just make sure you get one that is built on Twitter Bootstrap.

I crossed over to Wordpress a few years ago and haven't looked back. I love it. Cuts my development work in half which frees me up to spend time of more important things such as SEO. It also make SEO easier. I'm working on a php site (non CMS) now and hate it. I'm spoiled.

As for a theme, I demand flexibility. For SEO and conversion optimization I need to be able to put whatever widgets I want on whichever page I want. I started with Rockettheme because they were the only ones that had that kind of flexibility. Since then I've also starting using Yoothemes. They're pretty good with lots of flexibility. Just make sure you get one that is built on Twitter Bootstrap.

Thanks for the help. I am using wordpress now, but really confused on finding a good theme. I bought avada from theme forest and it works ok. I like the feel, and I'm ok with short codes, but it's very heavy for me. Without a cache plugin in place, it loaded like 7 seconds. I cut off 5 seconds using a plugin.

But what would be nice is a theme that loaded fast but what made for a non developer like me.

Thanks again for the help

Chris

Hi Chris, am not a developer (by any means!) but am ok with WP. Look for a good framework - this handles the core functionality, such as Genesis or Woothemes (there's more than these of course) and then add a neat theme to handle the layout/cool bits. (again, there's a million of these)
Yoast (he of the best SEO plugin) has just launched some themes based on Genesis. Might be worth looking at his site. (no affiliation at all, just passing on info)

gl

UDesign theme by Themeforest can be customized pretty easily.

Google doesn't love Wordpress in and of itself, they love properly structured websites.

Wordpress, out of the box, creates a great foundational structure and by adding a few extra plugins, you can fine tune that even more. Other site formats can also accomplish this, but in my experience there is more work involved to get them in great shape.

Also, Wordpress doesn't make new content. You have to add new content, and that can be added to any site in any format. Wordpress just make managing the content easier. (Which is why it is called a Content Management System)

I personally love Wordpress and find it way easier to deal with than any other platform. I have been using Wordpress almost exclusively for 9 years now.

It is true that you need a good theme to work with. we personally code our own themes from scratch, but we are lucky to have a great coder on staff. In the past I have had really good luck with StudioPress (Genesis) and iThemes (Builder) and still use those on occasions.

If you do use Wordpress and are worried about page load speed, avoid hosting with Godaddy, as their database functionality is not properly optimized (I could go into greater detail, but just trust me on this for now). If you use a clean theme and limit the use of bloated plugins on a good host, page speed shouldn't be an issue.

Hope that helps,

Greg

I actually have that theme too. But really lost on if for local seo if speed is more important than the theme? I know you have to be able keep visitors on the site, just not sure if speed kills seo

Thank you Greg wonderful insight

In your experience was using hooks like what I think Studiopress uses, hard to learn?

I am used to using short codes that I just copy and paste where I want the codes.

But I worry about the hooks.

I guess in the end I want to think of local seo like a race. I want the best car (seo platform) to compete.

Google loves fast loading websites. A good WordPress framework can adhere to this but a static HTML site will always load quicker than WordPress.

However, static sites are harder to maintain for the average user.

In my opinion, the only considerations here are speed, ease of use, and look of course.

For the average user, WP probably is best. If you can code, maybe a static HTML site is your best best.

I'll throw in my two cents. As others have mentioned, I don't think it matters what platform you're on as long as the website is coded well. WordPress is coded well "out of the box" and as others have mentioned, it's much easier to maintain. I switched to WordPress in 2006 and it's the only platform I have ever worked with. I couldn't imagine working with anything else.

I used to use Thesis for a few years but then I switched to Genesis. I've been using Genesis now for 2+ years. I highly recommend it with one caveat. It has a steep learning curve. I'm not a developer at all but it has been incredibly difficult for me to find developers that know how to work with Genesis efficiently.

The good news is, if you can find a developer that knows Genesis - or if you can find a developer willing to learn it - total development time per site goes way down. I have developers that can code a custom site on Genesis in 10 hours but he's been doing Genesis forever.

The other nice thing about themes built on frameworks like Thesis and Genesis is that you'll always have a foundation using the latest coding and technologies. When Genesis gets an update with improved coding, technology, etc., I can update my sites without breaking any of them because the framework (i.e. the foundation) is separate from the actual theme.

Travis

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom