I'm in a private Local Mastermind Group with a bunch of leading local search experts. 2 of our members just merged companies and a 3rd company is involved in the merge as well. It was big news in our group but, these are pretty big players in local search, so it's industry news I wanted to share here as well.

Many of you know Dev Basu from Powered By Search. He is a well known industry speaker and was featured at one of our InsideLocal webinars. Local Ranking Factors: Expert Debate & Panel Discussion

You also likely know Matthew Hunt from Small Business Online Coach. He's a pretty prolific blogger and has been a speaker at 2 of our InsideLocal webinars. Advanced On-site Local SEO Techniques Webinar and Optimization for Service Area Businesses.

They merged and now Matthew has joined Powered by Search as COO. Plus there is a 3rd big agency NetConneXion, that also has merged into the Powered by Search brand. Here is part of the press release.

Merger Creates One of the Fastest Growing Digital Marketing Agencies

Toronto, Canada – March 4, 2014 – Powered by Search, a full-service digital marketing agency headquartered in Toronto, announced today its merger with the internet marketing agency Small Business Online Coach and the web design and development agency NetConneXion. Matthew Hunt, Founder and CEO of Small Business Online Coach, has joined Powered by Search’s leadership team as Chief Operating Officer. Warren Houston, Founder and CEO of NetConneXion, has become Powered by Search’s Chief Financial Officer and Chief Client Officer.

“This is an important step in our aggressive growth strategy and moves us closer to becoming the leading digital marketing agency in North America,” said Dev Basu, Powered by Search founder and CEO. “The merger with Small Business Online Coach and NetConneXion doubles the size of our team and more than doubles our client base. It also adds greater depth to the services we offer North American businesses with aggressive digital marketing revenue goals. Our services now include digital strategy, organic and paid search, social media and content marketing, and web design and development. Matthew Hunt and Warren Houston are terrific digital marketers, and we’re excited to have them and their teams on board.”
That's only part of the press release, so head over to read the rest:
Merger Creates One of the Fastest Growing Digital Marketing Agencies

After it was announced, 1st of the year, that Nyag joined Whitespark, I had 2 companies start making overtures about acquiring my company. (Don't worry I'm not going anywhere, not yet anyway.)
And now these 3 companies join forces. So maybe 2014 will be the year of Local Merger Mania.
Who's next?

Huge congrats to Dev, Matthew and Warren. Sounds like a powerhouse team!