More threads by a11c

re: Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaround

Not sure if anyone else has had a chance to use Linda's new method - i tried but after i move the map a bit and copy and paste the new link in the search bar the listing disappears. Has anyone else had this happen?

re: Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaround

Hmmm weird. I did it a bunch of times and different ways.

When you paste the link is it defaulting you back to new maps???

FYI I was using FF, not sure if it's browser related.

OR maybe they changed something again.

No time to check right now, still buried in email testing hell.

Hey Linda,

Has the video been moved? I am unable to watch it.

Thanks!

Can you tell me which video???

The one above works.

There is one in the private pro forum and one in Video #3 of the LocalSEO training and I think it's in one other private forum too.

Which video do you mean so I don't have to dig around guessing. And what do you mean by unable to watch? Error or??? Just need you to help me with a little more info.

Limited time and carpal killing me.

Disregard that!!

It is playing now!

Oh dear, here we go!!!

Google Geo Developers Blog: Adding the new Google Maps to your website just got easier with the new Google Maps Embed API

In addition, over the coming weeks, we’ll be updating existing classic Google Maps embeds to the new format so visitors can enjoy a consistent embedded Google Maps experience across the web. This also means that starting today, the Maps/Earth APIs Terms of Service will apply to all updated embedded Google Maps.

The TOS says: "In Places Results. Google reserves the right to include advertising in the places results provided to you through the Maps API(s). By using the Maps API(s) to obtain places results, you agree to display such advertising in the form provided to you by Google."

I'll try to check the maps forum if I get time to see if that is really the way it reads.

Do they mean ALL existing classic maps, like the ones we create OR only classic maps done by all the API users?

Let me know if anyone of you have time to find an answer at the maps forum or developers forum if there is one.

Here is another "trial and error" style method. Its not perfect but it does for the most part get the marker positioned correctly.

add .002935 to the latitude coordinates and subtract .0003 from the longitude coordinates below. You will need to update both sets of latitudes and longitudes below. You can use an html previewer to check, Real-time HTML Editor

localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com 2014-3-13 12 25 56.png

localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com 2014-3-13 12 25 56.png

Last edited:

Whoa Mr. Wizard! How did you come up with that? Pretty slick.

And thanks for that link. Didn't know about that option. Bookmarking now!

I would love to take the credit but one of my stellar colleagues came up with that work around.

Re: Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaroun

For everyone's awareness, many of our clients classic embedded maps are automatically being updated to the new maps.

The code is supplied using the classic maps embed code, however when viewing on the live sites, the new maps is displayed

Re: Now Missing - Customize & Preview Embedded Map in Google Classic Maps - Workaroun

I'm seeing that as well Alex.

For everyone's awareness, many of our clients classic embedded maps are automatically being updated to the new maps.

The code is supplied using the classic maps embed code, however when viewing on the live sites, the new maps is displayed

Yep, they did it. So bring on the ads whether you want them or not.

But at least the CID is still in the code.

Yes it is. All the pertinent info is still there. I still use the work around to embed though.

Some of my clients still have the classic map and others have the new.

Yes it is. All the pertinent info is still there. I still use the work around to embed though.

Some of my clients still have the classic map and others have the new.

Ya I think the update is likely just starting to roll out with the intent to convert everyone over.

Is anyone seeing blank maps when using the old embed code (the embed code from classic maps)? Today I went to embed a Google map using the embed code from classic maps and the map is empty. I was forced to use the embed code from the new maps. It could be a temporary glitch or something specific to my client but I was curious if anyone else is noticing this too.

Travis

Travis - I just used the work around in classic maps to add the map to a client's site and worked just fine. Odd that you're getting a blank. And you're doing everything from classic maps?

Because the classic is the most flexible, can actully use Classic to create maps, based on Maps Engine Lite, and ohters, to affect the view. But not recommended as Classic Embed Maps have started mishaving, and will soon be turned off completely :(
A quote on the maps forum from a TC - Barry Hunter.

I'm currently playing with alternatives - I tried maps engine pro - very poor control over map positioning, so don't recommend it.

I'm also working with various map generators and will report back if I can find one that lets me do what I think I can - give a little "local love" in it.

Thanks Margaret.

Barry said: "But not recommended as Classic Embed Maps have started mishaving, and will soon be turned off completely?"

Well that stinks!

But you know I think new maps is fine for embedding. I think the CID is just obfuscated from us but Google knows what it is. But still don't like the fact that the map on your own site will have who knows what kind of ads on it.

I'm actually more concerned with not being able to see the standard ranking list you can see on classic and also how well duplicate discovery works.

I can't stand new maps for research and troubleshooting.
It's really going to cripple my work flow. :(

We are already getting complaints from Dentist and Orthodontist as these new embedded maps are showing competitors along with the annoying ads. Is this the "Pay to Play" future of Google?

... But still don't like the fact that the map on your own site will have who knows what kind of ads on it.

maps.jpg

Oh that's just ugly, Dustybones!

I really hoped paying for google's maps might make a difference. But it's so amateurish I just couldn't recommend it to a client.

I'm putting the final touches on some code for using google's maps api. What was the search that triggered those ads - I'd like to test my code and see if it gets the same rubbish.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom