More threads by BobV

BobV

Reaction score
Rank amateur here. Probably posting in the wrong section but my GPS is busted and Google maps isn't directing me to the Ask Your Dumb Question Here section.

Here goes . . .

Did a local search for a dentist by name, and was quite fascinated by the results. The pro's here are probably rolling their eyes, but bear with me.

1. Dr Friedman has 3 G L listings with the same address. I thought Google limits you to only one, or does that only apply to "work from home" businesses?

2. The search was for his name, profession and location (see link above) but the results gave me his business name(s) and his name. How (in simple terms)?

3. If you enter Charles Freedman and 30305 to GetListed yields several listings by his personal name and business name. Is that good? Again, in simple terms, how does this cross-pollination (business & personal name) occur without entering both in citation sources?

I am probably over my quota and have already broken the 3 strikes and you are out rule on my first day but figured I might as well go for broke.

FWIW, I am not Charles Freedman, nor are we related, nor is he a client. Consider me a Google Local voyeur that is curious.

Rank amateur here. Probably posting in the wrong section but my GPS is busted and Google maps isn't directing me to the Ask Your Dumb Question Here section...

I am probably over my quota and have already broken the 3 strikes and you are out rule on my first day but figured I might as well go for broke.

LOL Bob, you totally crack me up. Don't worry I won't use the ban hammer on you.
You will liven this place up I'm sure.

I saw this post at the other place and was going to reply but that search threw me, because it sounded like you were saying he had 3 listings in the pack, but that search does not show a pack. It's a brand search so just shows his site and directory listings.

Then you said he has 3 GL listings.

He actually has 5 listings: http://goo.gl/maps/ocKE0

And I know I told you, you can only have 1.

The rule is one listing PER business PER location. But there is an exception for Drs. Dentists, and Attorney, explained below.

So in that particular case there are multiple issues.

1) Drs, Dentist's, Attys are allowed one listing for the practice AND one for each Dr or Atty.

The reason is twofold. A) Google scrapes listings from everywhere and many directories list the indiv practitioner so Google herself creates the Dr listings in most cases. B) Patients at a large practice may want to review their specific Dr, not the big general medical office, so Google wants all the listings. C) Google is greedy and wants more reviews so wants those extra practitioner listings.

2) The way his Dr listings are named is wrong. But many of those are UNclaimed, so the Dr can't be held liable if they are not claimed in his account and are wrong. Google likely scraped and created most of those listings and the practice probably had nothing to do with it.

3) Dupes like he has will always kill your ranking. Even if they were set up right Dr dupes will hurt the main practice listing's ranking. So having extra listings is not helping him, but hurting him.

Does that help put your curious local voyeuristic mind at ease? :p

Does that help put your curious local voyeuristic mind at ease?

Well gosh. It sounds so dirty when you put it that way.

I think I understand but it will take a few reads to digest.

Thx!

In the simple version Bob, Google is picking up everything from Acxiom, Express Update and Localeze (screenshots) pulling the data in and creating Shell listings. As Linda mentioned it is pulling in Data from many sources. but I have been seeing more of these multiple listings showing up over the last week.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks Dusty. Putting on my tin foil hat now.

So if Google is creating this (and not the DDS SEO critter) does that mean G can still turn around and slap them around for violating G's rules?

You're not paranoid if they really ARE talking about you.

Thanks for the scanshots Dusty!

Well gosh. It sounds so dirty when you put it that way.

Hey you lead with "Consider me a Google Local voyeur that is curious." ;) :p

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom