More threads by Linda Buquet

Andrew I think Joel answered above. Copied below.
I just posted in Re: Change of Suite Number Only:

The MapMaker Help Center article on Delete a Place silently changed January 4, 2013. It now states:
Reasons for Deletion:
This place is closed:

Indicates that the feature is out of business or temporarily closed from the existing location.
Indicates that the feature has relocated from one place to another, regardless of distance.
Indicates complete name changes (e.g. Sean?s Burgers to Jitters Coffee). Indicates rebranding (i.e. any change to the brand name, logo, or image of a product or company).
Indicates demolished buildings with names.
I could have sworn I posted about it here but can't seem to find a post. :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting us know Andrew!

So now at least it?s consistent and the 2 are in sync on this particular issue, but it didn?t go in the direction we hoped it would.

UPDATE: Looks like the moved message is NOW showing up right on the G+ L listing.

MovedOnListing.jpg

HOWEVER it that case and one other - the business NEVER MOVED!
The bots went crazy, marked them as closed and moved to new address.

See this thread for more info.

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...problem-businesses-getting-moved-mistake.html

MovedOnListing.jpg

It looks like the messaging has completely disappeared on all listings today, both in the maps search results and on the listing itself. Is anyone else seeing this issue to?
plus.png

plus.png

It looks like the messaging has completely disappeared on all listings today, both in the maps search results and on the listing itself. Is anyone else seeing this issue to?

Good catch eagle eye bird dog! :)

Joy just asked Google management, so if we learn anything we can share will try to let you know what's up.

After talking to Andrew this morning, I was in the middle of writing an esculation to the Map Maker team, as while Andrew found that one quote that seemed to say that Map Maker guidelines were going to follow this new process of closing everything and opening a new POI no matter how small the move; if you actually went to the logical place in the guidelines it still said just to move them.

However, as I was doing that, I see that Jade has actually annouced that Places has changed it's policy to follow Map Maker's guidelines. Places users are to now just change their address on their existing listing, as per how it has always been done in Map Maker.

Google Places Forum - Business moving locations? Here's what to do

Wow. Thanks for pointing that out Flash.

After talking to Andrew this morning, I was in the middle of writing an esculation to the Map Maker team, as while Andrew found that one quote that seemed to say that Map Maker guidelines were going to follow this new process of closing everything and opening a new POI no matter how small the move; if you actually went to the logical place in the guidelines it still said just to move them.

However, as I was doing that, I see that Jade has actually annouced that Places has changed it's policy to follow Map Maker's guidelines. Places users are to now just change their address on their existing listing, as per how it has always been done in Map Maker.

Google Places Forum - Business moving locations? Here's what to do
Maybe that's because owner-verified address change edits via the Dashboard won't be reviewable in GMM? That's the only way I see this working without things going bad and edits being denied.

They have never been reviewable in GMM. Instead, the changes the owner does in the dashboard get brought over to GMM by a sync bot. So the existing POIs will be moved.

I was out all day, sedated after a medical procedure. Have a bunch of emails from Google on this. Still out of it so may wait til tomorrow after the fog clears because I'm a little hazy on this and may want to ask them some questions.

Great. Another significant change in "protocol" that 99% of SMBs have no way of knowing about.

If whoever's "in charge" of local these days wanted to make everyone's life easier, he/she would at least add some noticeable banner to the GP dashboard or G+ admin area that says "BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR FORUM EVERY DAY."

Communication, people, communication...

It's very frustrating. Currently trying to deal with two dupes that crawled out of the woodwork where the business owner just changed his dashboard listing to the new address. He now has no way of claiming the dupes because he no longer has access to either the address or the phone number.

Hi Jo,

That seems to be how Google is handling this scenario. From what I have experienced, once you update the address in the dashboard, Google creates a brand new listing with a new CID# and the old listing keeps the CID# and becomes marked closed and disconnected from the dashboard.

When you say 2 dupes, do they both have the new address? And in addition is there a listing with the old address that is marked closed?

Hey Colan

Nope, they both have previous addresses for his business with different phone numbers and a slightly different business name.

For one I have messaged MapMaker via the client's account and explained that this old listing is a duplicate of the newer one and that the client cannot claim and verify the old one as he has no access and what do they want me to do.

I didn't want to just mark it as closed in case they decided to close the existing business too.

I was waiting to see how they dealt with the first dupe before I tried with the second...

So there is no listing with the new address?

How long ago did they make the address edit in the dashboard?

I have found that it can take a couple weeks for everything to "straighten out" after updating an address in the places dash.

Hi Colan

No these are in addition to the listing with the correct address. He made the changes in the dashboard and got it verified a few weeks ago just before MapMaker became available here. Im thinking that might be the cause of the issue. Old data and new data not being merged together on MM?

So 2 listings with the old address and a listing with the new address, got it.

Is the dashboard connecting to the listing with the new address?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom