More threads by Randy Kirk

Reaction score
I have a client who has multiple locations, therefore needs to stay in Google Places world. Some locations has multiple reviews. Some of these are UPS and client is moving into more acceptable addresses. If we follow the new process, will the reviews follow the store? Or would we be better off to set up new locations, wait 30 days and then shut down or say the old locations moved.

Hi Randy, glad client is moving to legit location so they don't get in trouble for the UPS locations.

By design reviews stay with the old location, so let them know that's probably what will happen.

When are they moving??? Because if you've read the new move features thread with Mappers and Joel from Google weighing in, things are still in flux and not quite jiving with Map Maker yet. So if move is a month away, I'd wait and see if any changes or new advice develops.

But if it's a more immediate situation, let us know and we'll try to explain best advice as we know it now.

Be sure you read both these posts in detail!

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-finally-releases-how-move-local-listing.html

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-new-business-moved-feature-google-local.html

Since this is a hidden address anyway, they will need to stay in Places only mode. Timing of the moves is flexible, but he has already been given a stern warning by Google, and believes he should move quickly.

I have suggested that he open the new locations, then close the old locations in 30 days with the new forwarding option.

Alternatively, we can edit the major listings in one 24 hour period, then "move" him on Places with new location and close old location in one swell foop

he has already been given a stern warning by Google, and believes he should move quickly.

Hi Randy,

My ears just pricked up. I'm curious as to what the stern warning consisted of.

Care to share :)

That's very interesting. I have to say I don't think I've ever heard of Google reinstating a listing before it has actually corrected the violation.

Was the promise made to a Google employee via the troubleshooter or a Map Maker RER or something?

Timing of the moves is flexible, but he has already been given a stern warning by Google, and believes he should move quickly.

I have suggested that he open the new locations, then close the old locations in 30 days with the new forwarding option.

Alternatively, we can edit the major listings in one 24 hour period, then "move" him on Places with new location and close old location in one swell foop

Here are my initial thoughts but I'm nutso busy and can't think straight. Still think this makes sense.

Open new.

But IMPORTANT step you didn't mention above - need to get the old UPS locations that are in violation OUT of your account. Do NOT wait 30 days to do that part. If you click delete and remove from account, then you are no longer in control of them and they can't cause a penalty. BUT if they have citations they'll remain out in the wild, live on maps.

So I would do those 2 steps right away.

Then re closing old - you need to - but with the points the MapMaker RER's raised just realize it may not go smoothly.

Deal was made with Google employee.

Linda, don't you think if we just delete, we lose that new forwarding benefit, or do we do that later, after the delete?

Don't delete from maps, delete from account. I don't think that would affect the forward or moved to link on maps - because that's done as a community edit so don't even need to own the listing. (I BELIEVE but my brain is scrambled trying to get out of here, so wait and let Gregg or Andrew confirm.)

But I believe I could mark the unclaimed restaurant down the street closed and explain where they moved. So the way I see it removing from dash and marking closed/moved on the live listing as unconnected separate steps.

SOMEwhere, maybe on the Google forum someone wrote step by step with timing the best way to handle these steps but am late don't have time to find.

Gregg or Andrew will probably be here later and will weigh in.

Yes, you don't need it in your dash to use the Community Edits feature that the new guidelines outline.

Hi Randy, glad client is moving to legit location so they don't get in trouble for the UPS locations.

By design reviews stay with the old location, so let them know that's probably what will happen.

When are they moving??? Because if you've read the new move features thread with Mappers and Joel from Google weighing in, things are still in flux and not quite jiving with Map Maker yet. So if move is a month away, I'd wait and see if any changes or new advice develops.

But if it's a more immediate situation, let us know and we'll try to explain best advice as we know it now.

Be sure you read both these posts in detail!

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-finally-releases-how-move-local-listing.html

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-new-business-moved-feature-google-local.html

This is one of those situations where there isn't a good answer as I don't have any experience with it. I usually delete SABs with PO Boxes and they go bye bye.

If the business isn't at the new address then remove from dash and delete the offending street address using Community Edits.

If the business is at the new address then just update the address accordingly and if its still a SAB just hide the address.

If I were in the same predicament then I would place the feature at my home, hide the address. Then when at the new address I'd change it again.

If the business is at the new address then just update the address accordingly and if its still a SAB just hide the address.

If I were in the same predicament then I would place the feature at my home, hide the address. Then when at the new address I'd change it again.

But Joel and Jade both say do not edit the address to move. Need to close and open new instead.

But Joel and Jade both say do not edit the address to move. Need to close and open new instead.
The safest thing would be to walk away from the feature. However, he did say that if you didn't have a valid address you could update/correct it. Now I don't know if he was discussing this senario or just a malformed address.

Does Places support actually give a protocol for what to do if you've been caught using a non-compliant address? I know the Guidelines say to remove features that aren't compliant from the dashboard.

I'm kinda stumped on this. I guess given Joel's advice you would mark it permanately closed and create a new feature.

But the also say to submit the edit to Map Maker, which won't accept such an edit.

But that aside, this is not a move. The business had to have existed at the location to move in the first place. We would not remove the old location as "Delete-Closed", but rather "Delete-Does not exist" or "Delete-Spam/Abuse". That location needs to be wiped off the map as if it never existed... because it never existed.

So in the end we don't want the old location on the map at all. If the person wasn't going legit, I'd say to wipe them completely. But if they are going legit, then I have some sympathy and would say to follow the current guidelines for moves which is to simply change the street address. (Don't forget, Linda, that closing and moving is done within the Maps interface and must follow it's current rules, no matter what Joel says he'd like in the future).

Still, the best might be to wipe them completely and set up proper locations.

I have a client who has multiple locations, therefore needs to stay in Google Places world. Some of these are UPS and client is moving into more acceptable addresses.

Yes I agree, in this case with a previous "fake" ie non-compliant address should probably mark closed, never existed.

However I just have to say that even time I read the 1st post the spam filters in my head go on red alert. Maybe just the way the above was written but still sound like possibly not totally legit locations and ranking manipulation? :confused:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom