More threads by WineCountryCarpetCleaning

Reaction score
Got a fresh new problem, let me start with a great big thank you to Linda and all the members here, you guys are helping me more than you can ever imagine!

This is actually a question about my dads places listing. I haven't paid much attention to it lately but Linda called it to my attention in another thread.

Here is the link https://plus.google.com/109347739391684637790/about?gl=us&hl=en you can see that it is showing the service address. I had him log into his dashboard and hide it and that all went well, however when he clicked on the "see my listing" button he got the "we do not support this location" message.

He says his listing disapeared about a month ago and honestly he didn't know he had one until I called with the question about the listing found by Linda.

It appears to me to be an unclaimed listing (maybe G scraped it due to citations?)

I guess the main question is should he claim this listing and then delete the one he always had previous to this? or?

Thanks again guys, you are all amazing.

When did you tell him to hide address? When did he hide it and when did he notice the do not support?

Because that listing is showing as if it's claimed to me. But it has no history in MapMaker. Need more details about timing above to try to figure out what's up.

Also please ask if he has any previous links to the page? Maybe a link saved in his records or a link he emailed a customer to ask for a review. I need to try to figure out if this is the listing in his dash or not.

When did you tell him to hide address? When did he hide it and when did he notice the do not support?

Because that listing is showing as if it's claimed to me. But it has no history in MapMaker. Need more details about timing above to try to figure out what's up.

Also please ask if he has any previous links to the page? Maybe a link saved in his records or a link he emailed a customer to ask for a review. I need to try to figure out if this is the listing in his dash or not.

I will answer the ones I know right now. He did not hide the service address until after it was removed from the listings (he called me, I told him hide address and it came back about 2-3 weeks later) It then went away again 2-3 weeks later. He noticed the "do not support as soon as it went away from the SERP. It did allow him to view the listing after hiding the address and coming back once.

He started a help ticket after it went away the second time and they gave him the standard "it is a known issue and appears to be a broken link" they included a link to a maps listing that included his info.

I logged into his email just know and when I click on the link they provided it now produces a 404 error, this is the link they provided https://plus.google.com/11709009938...PageAnalytics,EnableAuthorshipSearchStatsPage

I honestly don't know if he ever did anything after that, I kind of doubt it, he has sort of a laissez faire attitude when it comes to places going away (it has happened to him a couple times and then came back)

I will ask him if he has an old link to his places info, but I seriously doubt it. I know for a fact he has never sent a link for a review (he is weird about reviews)

I will keep digging around his email and see if I can come up with anything from their.

He did not hide the service address until after it was removed from the listings (he called me, I told him hide address and it came back about 2-3 weeks later) It then went away again 2-3 weeks later. He noticed the "do not support as soon as it went away from the SERP. It did allow him to view the listing after hiding the address and coming back once.

Sorry but above still gives me no time reference at all.
When? How long ago did those things happen?

That link seems odd. Seems likeit's going to a Google + Business page not a Google+ Local page. Because in the link it's talking about authorship and analytics???

The end of the link was: /PlusPageAnalytics%2CEnableAuthorshipSearchStatsPage

Did he set up a Google+ Businesss page too or try to merge???

Yes he did create a plus page, listing went away on 11/8 he created a plus page around the 12th, he started showing up again in the serps after creating the plus page, then went away again on the 11/22, and nothing since then.

He deleted his plus page a few days to a week before I deleted mine (he wasn't scared since his places had been gone for awhile the second I told him it was looking like it was going to be an issue he deleted it)

You are probably correct that the places help link was to a plus page that is now gone.

His is different than my situation in a couple of ways, he had a places page way before he had a plus page, his places page was already whacked for showing a service address.

Thanks again for all your help Linda.

Sorry still hard to piece together what happened when.

Did he contact support BEFORE he hid address?

If so then now that address is hidden, log into his account then click this link to submit a troubleshooter ticket: My listing has incorrect information. Tick last box for missing listing.

Let's see what support says this time. I imagine once they get back after the Holidays they could be backed up for 2 - 3 weeks before you get a reply.

Thank you very much for all your help Linda, I will have him do all of those things. His places dashboard seems to have a different password than his usual's so I will have to wait until I talk to him to begin the process.

Genuinely appreciate the effort you put into this forum. I will update this thread (for future searches) when anything changes.

Slight update, talked to my father this morning, had him check a few things. As far as I can tell the listing that shows the address is the same one he has had for a long time. When he clicks the "manage this business" link it takes him to his places dashboard. He still gets the "we do not support this location" message when he clicks on the "view my listing" option.

I emailed him Linda's links and we went through them together. We did our best to piece together a timeline of what happened.

His listing got removed for not hiding the service address.

Per my bad advice he created a plus page

I told him to hide his address, he logged into his places page and hid the address.

Listing showed with hidden address. link for "view my listing" worked and took him to the about section of a plus page (we realize now this is different than a true places listing)

Listing may or may not have disappeared from SERP at this point, no one remembers, but their was some change in the way it was displayed, either website broke away from places or places disappeared because ranking data shows him with number one organic at this time (never had that with places, he had number one map/places)

I told him to delete the plus page which he did

Listing gone from results. (whether or not this is due to the plus page being removed we can't pinpoint)

He checked his places dashboard again at this point and noticed address was not hidden, checked the box and saved. He says he checked again a couple times after that and it was still hidden in the dashboard edit section.

Linda pointed out listing existed, showed location

Piecing together the timeline, here is my best guess. His listing was removed for not hiding the address. The plus page brought it back, He hid address (but we now know it was done incorrectly because plus should not be edited from places dashboard) When he deleted the plus page the edits he made while the plus page was active were not applied to places page.

At this point his actual managed edits to the page do not take effect. Possibly the result showing here https://plus.google.com/109347739391684637790/about?gl=us&hl=en are either some remnant of a places page that was left behind after the plus page was deleted or something that is being pulled off of map maker (not sure that either of those actually happen just a a guess). At this point he I have him making null edits once a day and starting a help thread.

Moral of the story is that local search is complicated, and the most important thing you will ever do for your business is read the quality guidelines. Don't even think about optimizing until you are sure you meet those guidelines.

"At this point he I have him making null edits once a day and starting a help thread."

Do not do null edits daily. Not sure why anyone would do that and could cause problems.

Starting a help thread where? In the Google forum?

I suggested submitting a troubleshooter ticket, not a thread in the help forum.

Sorry help ticket is what I meant, i.e. local-help at google.com support ticket.

I was under the impression that doing null edits helped the page refresh/return (in his situation). I must be misinformed. I will let him know not to do that.

Sorry help ticket is what I meant, i.e. local-help at google.com support ticket.

No I don't think you are telling him the right thing to do. There is no such thing as "local-help at google.com support ticket." You need to use the link I recommended above. Here it is again: My listing has incorrect information.

I was under the impression that doing null edits helped the page refresh/return (in his situation). I must be misinformed. I will let him know not to do that.

Null edits CAN help in some situations BUT you should not keep doing it over and over. You do it once. Wait 5 days and see if it helped. BUT it can only help in certain cases. And if you've seen anyone recommend poking (null edits) on a regular basis, that would mean once per month not once per day.

Poking daily COULD cause problems. For instance if you were pending review I think it's possible that every poke is seen as an edit which could just keep sending you back to the end of the line again to start over.

And there is no way a null edit will help restore a listing that's been deleted by Google. The only thing that can possibly help is the specific link I recommended twice above.

"local-help at google.com support ticket."

Just wanted to say that I am really enjoying following this thread. Linda, you have an amazing ability to ask the right questions in just the right way to get the proper information needed to solve problems!

The link that Linda provided you for support is indeed the one and only one you need to use.

local-help@google.com is the e-mail address that Google's responses to your troubleshooter report will come from. You can use this e-mail to follow-up with Google or to ask for more details. Of course, you would only need to hit the "reply" button in your e-mail to do this when you want to respond.

I sent him the link and I assume he followed it. I think he just sent me the email address to show me that he had received an automated response to his request. Will update when I talk to him next.

He is pretty insistent that he should just delete the listing and have the pin resent, not sure if this is a good idea or not, but its his business not mine. He is not as impatient as I am and has a lot more referral business coming in so he can live without the listing for awhile. I think he just wants to get it behind him in some sort of permanent way, and views his current listing as flawed.

Thanks Colan, you are too nice!

I've been sick, spacey and impatient so don't really feel like I've been on my game here lately.

I meant to ask when you said "start a help thread" and "local-help at google.com support ticket. Were you just telling him to send an email to that email address? Or were you telling him to reply to the email he got from support? Because I believe at one point he DID use the troubleshooter and support replied?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom