More threads by Jo Shaer

Solutions
Reaction score
There are two ways to edit the information on your new Google+ Page.

Using the edit info button on the card on the page itself OR by logging into Google Places for business dashboard and doing it there.

The two dashboards that are produced ask for the same info but look slightly different.

Does it matter which one you use? Or is there still a front door and back door element to this?

If it's a G+ page that Google auto-upgraded, then I believe you can do it in either place. If it was a G+ page you manually created and then manually merged it used to be that you were only supposed to edit in the G+ interface.

It is my understanding that if the Google listing is upgraded to a Google+ page, then any new edits should be done on the Google+ side, not the Places for Business dashboard. I can create a blog post with images to help make this more clear.

Actually Michael, that was the case if you did it the old way and did a manual merge.

However like I said if it's a new listing where a G+ listing is automatically generated or a Places listing that Google upgraded then you can edit in either Place.

See: Business listings on Google+

"You don’t need a personal Google+ account to use your local Google+ page and you can continue to use the Places dashboard to edit your business information."

Actually Michael, that was the case if you did it the old way and did a manual merge.

However like I said if it's a new listing where a G+ listing is automatically generated or a Places listing that Google upgraded then you can edit in either Place.

See: Business listings on Google+ https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038169

"You don?t need a personal Google+ account to use your local Google+ page and you can continue to use the Places dashboard to edit your business information."

This is certainly true. I have noticed that when claiming an existing listing, the Google+ upgrade doesn't happen on upon verification unless you take that extra step to open the Google+ page. Is that your experience also?

Since most of the time I find that a business has an existing listing, I think it is important to clarify that situation. Once the existing listing is verified, it stays as a basic listing unless you take the step to upgrade it to a Google+ page.

Also I have been advised by Google support many times to manage the listing through the plus side once a listing is upgraded.

Here is the blog post I created with images of the two dashboards:
Best practice for editing a business listing on Google

Google Places for Business dashboard
Google-Places-for-Business-Dashboard.jpg

Google+ Local dashboard
Google+-Local-Dashboard.jpg

Google-Places-for-Business-Dashboard.jpg

Google+-Local-Dashboard.jpg

I escalated to Google and asked Jade to clarify the flow in her forum sticky for claiming an existing unverified listing.

Since most of the time I find that a business has an existing listing, I think it is important to clarify that situation. Once the existing listing is verified, it stays as a basic listing unless you take the step to upgrade it to a Google+ page.

Also I have been advised by Google support many times to manage the listing through the plus side once a listing is upgraded.

I got an answer from Google yesterday and they confirmed what I believed was correct.

They said that now assuming you're in the new dashboard, if you claim an existing, unverified listing, it will automatically create a G+ page shortly.

If you claim the page in Google+, you should stick to Google+.

However like I said, if you claim the page in the new Places dashboard, you can edit in either Places or G+. Sometimes Google tells people, the opposite of what Michael said and they say t just to stick to Places for simplicity's sake, but Google confirmed that if created in the Places dash, using either dash is fine.

My personal view is if it is G+ it should be edited there.

However I got another question, what if you want to remove a listing been flagged as duplicate by G+ - when I go to Remove this listing it has a warning that the Account will be deleted...

Also, has anyone 'lost' a listing during a merge? I had a listing for a client that vanished after the places listings become g+ listings.

My personal view is if it is G+ it should be edited there.

Yes, but it's not just G+ it's still a Place page too and if it was created in Places then you can edit in either.

However I got another question, what if you want to remove a listing been flagged as duplicate by G+ - when I go to Remove this listing it has a warning that the Account will be deleted...

That warning is scary but as long as it's the one that is marked as a dupe you should be fine. I just did it on my own listing.

Also, has anyone 'lost' a listing during a merge? I had a listing for a client that vanished after the places listings become g+ listings.

Google deleted lots of AU listings that did not comply with their request to hit edit/submit.

Here is the thread about the initial warnings then later on page 2 I start talking about Google deleting the listings. :mad:

Is this new? Google May Delete Your Places Listing?

Thanks Linda! Appreciate it (warning is scary). I recall the emails from Google, don't recall if I remembered to edit the 'lost' one.

I'll go through the duplicated listings and hope all turns out fine :)

Oops forgot to add that link. It's pretty important for you to read.
Just added it to bottom of my post above.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom