Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How can national seo negatively impact local seo

Can anybody show examples on how national seo could negatively impact local seo?
    I read someone that its not wise to hire one company to do national seo and a seperate one to do local seo. As some specific national tactics could mess up your local seo efforts

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: How can national seo negatively impact local seo

Two companies could mean two entirely different methodologies. There are many ways to skin a cat in the SEO world. One company may do one thing while the other company may do something entirely different. Two different messages could mean two different outcomes.

Also, targeting nationally and targeting locally have different initiatives. It is best to use one company who is proficient in both, who promote your message the same way. I'm sure there are many more reasons to keep it under one roof but some quick thoughts.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think national would screw up local unless the NAP was inconsistent. Really, if you were going split up the efforts they should actually both benefit each other.

I could understand the reasoning behind looking for someone that specializes in local to help out in that area.
    Marketer's Center: Reseller Services for Local SEO Consultants. Soon to have 3 different types of citation services.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I second this. I think the potential "negative impact" would be conflicting strategies. You'd have one company doing things their way and then you'd have another company doing things another way. There would definitely be conflicts and disagreements. The local SEO company would want to optimize a page this way, while the national guys would want to do it another way. It would be a nightmare.

It would be best to work with one company that knows how to do both rather than having two companies meddling with the website, citations, etc.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Laustin1878 View Post
    Two companies could mean two entirely different methodologies. There are many ways to skin a cat in the SEO world. One company may do one thing while the other company may do something entirely different. Two different messages could mean two different outcomes.

Also, targeting nationally and targeting locally have different initiatives. It is best to use one company who is proficient in both, who promote your message the same way. I'm sure there are many more reasons to keep it under one roof but some quick thoughts.
    TVS Internet Marketing: Helping Small Businesses Increase Their Visibility & Sales Online.