More threads by regl8r

regl8r

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've lurked around this forum a bit and seen some knowledgable users on the topic so figured I'd come ask for some input.

Basically, I am trying to piece together what should be done to make a Service Provider business that operates in multiple states 100% legitimate in the eyes of the law and Google.

If my bed bug company is headquartered in NYC but I have technicians in Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston. What is the best way to go about getting locations without having to worry about them taken down?

1. Postcard verify to each technicians home or office.
2. Use a virtual office.
3. Other?

Following Google guidelines, option 1 would seem best because it technically fits within the rules. However, if I want to find a new technician it could turn into a problem and/or mean that my business is not actually there in the future.

A virtual office is technically off limits, but if the business is incorporated at this address how is that not legitimate.

With so many lead generation companies out there trying to game the system it seems like Google has made it nearly impossible for someone to create a legitimate multi location service provider. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

If my bed bug company is headquartered in NYC but I have technicians in Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston. What is the best way to go about getting locations without having to worry about them taken down?

1. Postcard verify to each technicians home or office.
2. Use a virtual office.
3. Other?

Following Google guidelines, option 1 would seem best because it technically fits within the rules. However, if I want to find a new technician it could turn into a problem and/or mean that my business is not actually there in the future.

A virtual office is technically off limits, but if the business is incorporated at this address how is that not legitimate.

This is tough because what a business thinks is legit is not always what Google considers legit.

And an employee or contractor's home does not equal a business location. If it did then Bank of America could set up thousands of listings at all their teller's homes. Plus employee's and contractors come and go so would not be a good solution for that reason.

And virtual offices are now NOT allowed. Does not matter if you are INC'd there.

So best option for locations where you do not have a physical office is to just focus on organic and don't try to do a Google+ Local listing.

Last edited:
Thats crazy to me, how can someone legally be doing business in a state yet the playing field on the number 1 source of business is far from level.

Not only do you lose the traffic/trust from not having a google location but organic rankings seem to be heavily weighted towards those that do nowadays.

Hey Linda, when did Google give the okay for virtual offices? I totally missed that memo and can't seem to find any info about that.

Thanks!

Not sure if that is sarcasm but she said virtual offices NOT allowed.

Hey Linda, when did Google give the okay for virtual offices? I totally missed that memo and can't seem to find any info about that.

And virtual offices are now NOT allowed. Does not matter if you are INC'd there.

Sorry Cori, that was a typo, should have been the letter t instead of w. Meant not instead of now.
Think the following sentence after that made it clear that's what I meant. Corrected above.

Been pretty sick for almost 6 weeks and have been on lots of meds.

Sury for all teh tipoos I ben makin latly. :eek:

Haha, bummer, I got so excited for a second there! Thanks for clarifying :)

---------- Post Merged at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Sorry- not sarcasm! Just hopeful :(

Me and you both Cori. In my eyes allowing virutal offices that are incorporated and paying taxes to the state they operate in would fix a huge problem. You aren't spam? Please provide articles of incorporation and we'll get you back up, problem solved. Thats exactly what YP does these days and it works much better.

Like many things in G+ Local I think there are shades of gray.

One of the things that makes it tough is all the attys that set up virtual offices just to rank in other cities even though they are seldom if ever actually there. Or the service area business outside of town that sets one up just to rank in the city.

There are certainly legit small business that really work in a Regus office and sit there all day long.
That's their actual office - it's just more affordable.

But the algo and moderators tend to paint with a broad brush and spammers/scammers just make it hard for the honest business person sometimes.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom