More threads by Dustybones

Reaction score
I have a few clients that I could use a "single descriptor" on. These are Orthodontic practices branded as the doctor. I have considered using "Orthodontist" as the descriptor ( Example: Dr. JD labored Dds MS orthodontist). I'm interested in hearing other thoughts on this. My gut is telling me Google is going to run into more issues by offering this.

Business Name:

• Your title should reflect your business?s real-world title.
  • In addition to your business?s real-world title,you may include a single descriptor that helps customers locate your business or understand what your business offers.
  • Marketing taglines, phone numbers, store codes, or URLs are not valid descriptors.
  • Examples of acceptable titles with descriptors (in italics for demonstration purposes) are "Starbucks Downtown" or "Joe?s Pizza Restaurant". Examples that would not be accepted would be "#1 Seattle Plumbing", "Joe?s Pizza Best Delivery" or "Joe?s Pizza Restaurant Dallas".

Google Places quality guidelines

I tend to agree with you. I haven't done it until we know more about how it can effect things, including citations.

Just my 2 cents.:D

I've seen various reports here and other places. Most said it did not seem to make a difference. Only one report I saw said it made a difference and it was pretty big. Something like #26 to D spot.

I'm not as worried about the change now and don't think it would cause a penalty or rank drop.

Main concerns are still:

1) If it would affect citations matching up

2) I think this is going to get spammed to death with people not reading the fine points and putting a long string of keywords, even more than the spammers were already doing that. So I can totally see Google reverting this in the next 6 months and going back to NO extra words in name field.

And according to a Map Maker RER, seems that side of the house is not too happy with this and seems it's still being debated between the left and right hands of Google, which aren't always that great at shaking in agreement. :eek:

All good Points Linda. I have the same concerns. Ive been keeping an eye out for listings using the descriptor, but have only come across a handful. I think I'm going to give it a try with one of our clients along with some on site changes. In the long run, I think Google is going to back away from this. Its kind of a sloppy move. Will let you know if anything changes. Thanks for the input.

I've used the descriptor for a couple of clients for whom it actually makes sense (i.e. we're not just doing it for rankings). It hasn't had any noticeable effect so far.

Thanks Phil. I've decided to give it a try with one client as the official business name is the Doctors name. He is an Orthodontist.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom