More threads by Greg

Greg

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a client G+Local listing that ranks well for several keywords....

But they want to rank for several more as well as rank for different iterations of the same word....

For example:
physiotherapy
physiotherapist
physio
sports physiotherapy
sports physio
sports physiotherapist

Now that they see the benefit of ranking, they want to dominate the listings for all the keywords.

The million dollar question is - how to do this effectively?

Looking forward to your thoughts...appreciate it.

Regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

I think Google is pretty good a synonyms so for most of those if you picked the right CORE category for G+L and then made sure those KWs were optimized on the site, they would likely rank.

So great example for Dentists one of the main KWs they usually want to rank for is Cosmetic Dentistry. However that violates the "is not does" rule so you can't use it as a G+L cat. So instead I have to use Cosmetic Dentist on the G+L page, which does not get as many searches. So I optimize the home page for "Cosmetic Dentistry" and it still all ties together and ranks.

But to rank HIGH may require a custom page for the most important KW or sets of KWs.

So for example one page for physiotherapy, physiotherapist, physio.
And another for sports physiotherapy, sports physio, sports physiotherapist.

Just sort of depends on the situation.

But one warning is I don't recommend repeating the same KW more than twice in cats. So for example I would not do plumbing contractor, plumbing service, plumbing company, plumbing contractors. That I think would look spammy to the algo.

Anchor text is still valuable when not abused. If you can pick up a link to the domain, from a quality source, with that keyword as the anchor text, it will boost your organic AND your blended local rankings. MUST NOT BE SPAMMY. MUST NOT BE OVERDONE. MUST BE FROM A QUALITY SOURCE (a friend's site, a business partner, a sponsorship, etc). One link is usually enough.

Great point! Thanks Darren!

(You should set up a sig with your name and a link to your site, just in case there is someone that does not know who you are.)

Hi Linda,

I have some additional questions below - appreciate if you could give your insight....
Regards

Greg
Hi Greg,

I think Google is pretty good a synonyms so for most of those if you picked the right CORE category for G+L and then made sure those KWs were optimized on the site, they would likely rank.

So great example for Dentists one of the main KWs they usually want to rank for is Cosmetic Dentistry. However that violates the "is not does" rule so you can't use it as a G+L cat. So instead I have to use Cosmetic Dentist on the G+L page, which does not get as many searches. So I optimize the home page for "Cosmetic Dentistry" and it still all ties together and ranks.

- Can you briefly explain the "is not does" rule?

But to rank HIGH may require a custom page for the most important KW or sets of KWs.

So for example one page for physiotherapy, physiotherapist, physio.
And another for sports physiotherapy, sports physio, sports physiotherapist.

- Just to be clear - are you saying that on the website, we should seperate pages for each keyword or set of keywords?

Just sort of depends on the situation.

But one warning is I don't recommend repeating the same KW more than twice in cats. So for example I would not do plumbing contractor, plumbing service, plumbing company, plumbing contractors. That I think would look spammy to the algo.

- Are you talking about Categories that G+L presents you with OR ones that you add yourself?

Linda, did you say the, is not does, rule? can you explain further?

thanks!:confused:

Hi Marie,

I'll chime in about the "is not does" rule. Essentially, the category has to fit into the sentence, "My business is a......"

The category should not fit into the sentence, "My business does...."

So the category needs to describe what your business is (dentist, used car dealer), but not what it does (root canals, oil changes)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom