More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Here's a good post from SEMrush about some under-utilized Local SEO tactics.

localSEOpuz.jpg

<a href="http://www.semrush.com/blog/publications/5-powerful-local-search-tactics-under-used-under-appreciated/">5 Powerful Local Search Tactics that are Under Used & Under Appreciated - SEMrush Blog</a>

Demand for local SEO has skyrocketed, and it?s the big-box enterprises that are taking advantage of some of the more creative tactics that provide meaningful location signals to search engines. To anyone involved in marketing these statistics likely come as no surprise. But, even so, there?s a limited spectrum for local optimization tactics (that are over used and over-appreciated.)

Leaving your company Name, Address and Phone Number (NAP) all over the web is still among the most effective of these tactics, but there are a number of other ways by which you can help search engines get a clear understanding of your geography and improve your local rankings.

Mark talks about geotagging images, using public maps, using local synergies, updating your Place page and Adwords Local extensions.

localSEOpuz.jpg

Re: 5 Powerful Local SEO Tactics that are Under Used & Under Appreciated - SEMrush

Hate to a naysayer, Linda, but I think there's a high quotient of Locus Pocus in there. And the stuff that's not (JVing with local businesses and using AdWords extensions) is just wise marketing.

Re: 5 Powerful Local SEO Tactics that are Under Used & Under Appreciated - SEMrush

Hate to a naysayer, Linda, but I think there's a high quotient of Locus Pocus in there. And the stuff that's not (JVing with local businesses and using AdWords extensions) is just wise marketing.

I'm curious if Geo Tagging is among the things you are referring to or not. That is something that I would put into the category of possibly superstition/possibly true, maybe someone here can pont me to some real evidence - but that's just when it comes to SEO. With the way that the web environment is developing, I'd imagine that other platforms might utilize this info better than Google now or in the future, and the benefits will be more likely to grow than diminish. Geo tagging = not a bad idea.

I just share what I find that might have benefit Phil. Don't pretend to have analyzed quality or verified deets. Just share...

Oh, I know, Linda - and you do a great job of it.

@Phil - what's your take on this statement in the SEMrush post -

'there?s a theory that constantly keeping your Google+ Local listing updated can help improve your local visibility'

If this is true, then presumably this relates to posts & possibly images & video, and not other core data which should remain constant & consistent unless a business undergoes a move or other significant change right?

Thanks for bringing up Myles I meant to comment on that.

I've heard others say this and think it's a partially incorrect carry-over assumption based on the fact that Google likes fresh content in organic.

AND also think it's possible it's a somewhat outdated assumption based on the fact that Google USED TO tell you to 'poke' the listing, (do a null edit). This used to be more important with the old dash, the old data pipeline and given the the fact that in the past you used to be able to reclaim listings, which you can't any more.

I do think fresh G+ posts is a good idea. And a null edit or tiny tweak to description does not hurt to ensure Google knows the listing is alive and managed and the data is correct. Not sure new images have an impact and there are so many image issues at times that I hesitate to recommend messing with them if you don't need to.

But yes for sure, don't ever change your core data (NAP) unless it's wrong or you absolutely need to.

Thanks for confirming Linda. That all makes sense & concurs with a couple of conversations i had with customers this week.

@Phil - what's your take on this statement in the SEMrush post -

'there?s a theory that constantly keeping your Google+ Local listing updated can help improve your local visibility'

If this is true, then presumably this relates to posts & possibly images & video, and not other core data which should remain constant & consistent unless a business undergoes a move or other significant change right?

What Linda said :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom