More threads by Linda Buquet

@ Keenan: The Marker on maps was still showing the old location. Moved it over and it took immediately.

@Dustybones - sorry, still totally lost. You created a new Places Listing at the new address per the instructions Support gave you. Once verified the map marker at the new listing (at the new address) was still showing the old location in Maps?

Honestly, that's what it sounds like from your description.

Or you mean, even though you created a new listing in Places (which creates a new POI in MM), but you went to MM, found the listing at the old location and moved the marker to the new location.

Neither scenario makes sense to me.

LOL I'm confused too. Here's what I thought he was saying which didn't make sense to me either.

I thought he was saying that instead of closing and opening new like support said. (Which is old advice and you should just change in dash.)

But instead of changing in dash, he built citations, then edited in MM. And the new address took but the marker didn't move, so he then manually moved the marker in MM.

BUT if you edited in MM and address was not correct in dash then that's a bad way to do it. It needs to be correct in dash one way or another. Then if live is not matching the correct info in dash, then my 1st step would be support.

But it sounds like support gave you incorrect advice.

I thought he was saying that instead of closing and opening new like support said. (Which is old advice and you should just change in dash.)

But it sounds like support gave you incorrect advice.

I think it's fine to create new listing and mark the old one closed, so I wouldn't say it was incorrect advice.

Rather, Google has added this functionality directly into the dashboard, because it was not intuitive. This method is just easier for users.

But if they made everything logical and consistent, then what would we have to talk about?

Re: Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old

Sorry for the confusion everyone. ok. I will keep this simple. The client had an existing G+ Local page that was showing an old address. We attempted to just edit the address in the dashboard a couple times and nothing was changing. We were also told by Google (email in prior post) that we had to close the page and create a new one. This was in mid Nov. Client did not want to lose the reviews, so we decided to try another way. Client also had a problem with all citations showing old address during the original dashboard edits. We decided to clean up the NAP's and when complete the change the address in the dashboard. We also went into MM, moved the marker and provided links to Localeze, express update etc., which showed new address. ( might be overkill) and everything changed within a day. Does all this make sense? Do I get the award for confusion? I'm proud of you guys for deconstructing my babble. LOL.

@Dustybones - sorry, still totally lost. You created a new Places Listing at the new address per the instructions Support gave you. Once verified the map marker at the new listing (at the new address) was still showing the old location in Maps?

Honestly, that's what it sounds like from your description.

Or you mean, even though you created a new listing in Places (which creates a new POI in MM), but you went to MM, found the listing at the old location and moved the marker to the new location.

Neither scenario makes sense to me.

---------- Post Merged at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Thanks Linda. It is frustrating sometimes, but as Keenan mentioned, what would we do with all the free time. We need something to talk about. I like to look at it this way. Chinese pottery masters will always leave a flaw in every pot they create in order to leave room for improvement. I would like to think that Google Master are doing the same, but they just do it everyday.

I stand corrected, not incorrect per se.

But when they advise US the procedure changed and now you should just edit in dash and so we tell folks that, it would be nice if everyone was on same page and support was not still telling folks to do the old procedure.

Business Moves - Procedure Changes Again - Just Edit Local Listing Now

So you did not close the listing and make a new page. You simply updated the aggregators and then changed the address in the Dashboard. Was the Map Marker not updated to the new location? Or did you not wait to see before making the edit in MM?

If you were able to do this without triggering a new PIN, it should not have been necessary to make an edit in MM.

Did you edit the address in MM too? or did the new address sync, but the Marker had not moved? That's the part I don't get.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom