More threads by Jamie Steigerwald

Reaction score
I just found this page of schema.org examples from Google:

https://developers.google.com/webmasters/business-location-pages/schema.org-examples

One thing I noticed that was different was that for itemprop="telephone" they added content="+155501002121". This is new too me.

HTML:
Phone: <span itemprop="telephone" content="+155501002121">555-0100-2121</span>

Does anyone know if this is new? Does anyone notice anything else new on this page?

Good catch Jamie.

Sloppy on their part because they use that number several times and it's wrong.
4 numbers in the 2nd group of numbers. And sometimes in the other example with 800# they have space after +1 and sometimes they don't.

Anyway, I'm not sure, have never noticed that before. In my schema code in training I use (555) 111-1111 without the content=.

Which according to Schema.org is correct: telephone - schema.org

Hmmm, that is odd. When you mark it up like that and use content="...", that's solely for the benefit of search engines. So I'm not sure why they or anyone would want to show search engines a phone number in that format and show users another format. Odd. Seems unnecessary.

I wonder if they added the international phone number format as the content to standardize the number format since there are always issues with different display options. Does anyone see any harm in adding it?

Personally, I don't think there's any harm in including the phone number in that format if you want to. I also don't think it's absolutely necessary, either. So really, it's up to you. I just wish that Google's documentation and proper "examples" of markups would be consistent.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom