Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Circulating Duplicates

I posted this issue on the Map Maker help forum but it wasn't looked at. I'm posting here so maybe Andrew and Flash can have a gander

Hi All,

My clients Map Maker entry is marked as a duplicate of another business, and this other business is marked as a duplicate of ours (circulating duplicate). They are not duplicates of each other.

Here's a link to my clients listing - Google Map Maker

Here's a link to the duplicate, that's not really a duplicate - Google Map Maker

I notice that there is an option to undo the edit on our listing that marked it as a duplicate. Should I go ahead and undo those edits? Is that the best course of action?

My main concern is that the clients places page keeps reverting to the incorrect title and phone number (that which is on the duplicate in Map Maker).
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Circulating Duplicates

Quote Originally Posted by Colan Nielsen View Post
    I posted this issue on the Map Maker help forum but it wasn't looked at. I'm posting here so maybe Andrew and Flash can have a gander

Hi All,

My clients Map Maker entry is marked as a duplicate of another business, and this other business is marked as a duplicate of ours (circulating duplicate). They are not duplicates of each other.

Here's a link to my clients listing - Google Map Maker

Here's a link to the duplicate, that's not really a duplicate - Google Map Maker

I notice that there is an option to undo the edit on our listing that marked it as a duplicate. Should I go ahead and undo those edits? Is that the best course of action?

My main concern is that the clients places page keeps reverting to the incorrect title and phone number (that which is on the duplicate in Map Maker).
    If you check the History in GMM for both your client's feature and the one it is marked as a duplicate of you will find they actually are duplicates of one another. Why? Because the origional listing was hijacked (aka had an improper name change) from another professional to your client. The bots look at the origional name persumably and because your clients name isn't present it assumes (correctly) that something improper happened and "takes care of thing." This is easy for a bot, however this features have a professional's name and the business name and some have multiple professional names. If the name is changed before you claim it and you didn't check the GMM history to see if the name was improperly changed (sometimes by a bot) then you can get a rude surprise when the past comes back to haunt the feature.

Report it via Places and cross your fingers. I'd say ask for a new feature and the GMM features to be put back the way they were and the non-existant features closed. I don't have any words of wisdom except:

Always check a listing in MapMaker to see if there was an improper name change. If there is one, you're going to have issues if you claim it, or are working with a client who has already done so.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Circulating Duplicates

Thanks Andrew! I've reported it on the Google Places side several times, and it gets fixed for about a week and then reverts back. So that's of no help in this situation.

Wow, so you are absolutely right. I went to the very first entry in Map Maker for this listing - Google Map Maker and it did indeed belong to my client originally.

So if I can get the NAP on that listing edited back to my clients I think that might solve the data display issue on the Places side.

Can we try that out?

Man, my head is spinning
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter