More threads by Greg

Greg

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After reading Linda's thread:
http://localsearchforum.catalystema...2-10-simple-things-smb-websites-need-fix.html

I realised that all the telephone numbers for all my client's listings are incorrectly formatted as follows: 555 222 1234 instead of (555) 222-1234.

So the critical question is: How do I go and edit the details without causing any problems with the listing?

At the same time, I presume that the format should be identical on the website?

Another thing - I always put all of the telephone details either in the header or sidebar of the website so that it shows up on every page.
-Is it necessary to put the telephone numbers on the footer as well?
-Should the address be in the footer as well?

Appreciate your advice...

Best regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

When it comes to editing NAP formatting in your Places account I think it should be done on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" basis.

Even slight NAP edits have been known to cause issues such as ranking drops and dropped reviews.

NAP formatting should match the website, yes.

For your last question, I think that having the NAP info displayed once on every page should be good enough. Anymore could be seen as spammy.

I agree with Colan and Marie in principle and I think they both got that in part from me.
"If it ain't broke, (or in violation) don't fix it!"

However, if the phone is not in the right format, I wonder if it's 'broke'.
In fact I'm kind of surprised it can even be entered wrong in the dashboard!!!

Is it right in dash and just wrong live? Are the listings ranking? Can you share one with me so I can take a look? I'm a little worried that formatting the phone wrong IN dash COULD = broken. (But I'm not sure, need to investigate, have not seen this prob before.)

However... wanted to address the phone# on web site issue.

Yes NAP on site should match NAP on Place page IF it's right. But that phone format is NOT right.

Phone on web site always needs to be in (555) 222-1234 format. ALWAYS. Plug a valid Places phone into G maps without any formatting or with periods or dashes and she usually chokes and can't read it.

What is interesting about the formatting of the phone number is when you check the listing in maps.google.com to look for duplicates sometimes Google doesn't see any with the "(" but you can find them with the "-"...its probably how its entered into Places or map maker but I just know you have to always check both when looking for duplicates.

HA! Learn something new every day. I always see the opposite problem so never though to check for phone in other formats. Good point in case they did enter in dash with another format.

BUT the bottom line is the dashboard should not let you enter free form. It should fill and populate into a standard format. They just "suggest" below to use the standard format and show an example but it does not force it. Mistake when you are dealing with data fields like that to leave it wide open since some never read directions or copy and paste with wrong format right off their site or email sig or whatever.

Thanks Colan, Marie and Linda....

Just to make sure, I checked the particular website in question and it has the phone number listed with () but without -

However, I listed the phone numbers with both numbers as follows:
(011) 555 1234 /5 and I realise that each number should be listed seperately:
(011) 555-1234 and (011) 555-1235.

But on the G+L listing I listed it as: 011 555 1234

Both the website and the G+L listing are ranking #1 for chosen keywords

Following your point "If it ain't broke, (or in violation) don't fix it!"

-Do you suggest that I fix it on the website?

- I've already started creating 2 seperate Contact Us pages for the client's 2 branches as well.

Your thoughts...

Regards

Greg

---------- Post Merged at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 PM ----------

HA! Learn something new every day. I always see the opposite problem so never though to check for phone in other formats. Good point in case they did enter in dash with another format.

BUT the bottom line is the dashboard should not let you enter free form. It should fill and populate into a standard format. They just "suggest" below to use the standard format and show an example but it does not force it. Mistake when you are dealing with data fields like that to leave it wide open since some never read directions or copy and paste with wrong format right off their site or email sig or whatever.

Hi Linda,

My point exactly....I have several clients that I have listed in G+L and have never heard of the correct format before coming across it in this forum.

Every single client has both website and/or G+L on Google page 1.....so it is a bit puzzling.

Regards

Greg

As I said before I would DEF put the correct format on the site.

But if they are ranking #1 I guess I would leave the phone as is on G+L.

What is interesting about the formatting of the phone number is when you check the listing in maps.google.com to look for duplicates sometimes Google doesn't see any with the "(" but you can find them with the "-"...its probably how its entered into Places or map maker but I just know you have to always check both when looking for duplicates.
If you've ever put a telephone number in (I've done many) Google will parse the number into the correct format. I believe it does so when you hit save and/or submit. It renders it into the format Linda recommends.

I haven't had much luck searching for phone numbers in GMM, rather I stick to generic names and addresses in Maps and GMM to track down duplicates. I'll also do a 'Find near this' search using a right click in GMM to find business at the same address auto-placed by bots. (This technique doesn't work well with lots of features at the same address).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom