More threads by Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is the first situation where we have had to deal with a "shared business address" and I'm just looking to get the best advice. There are various solutions, but it looks like the client would most prefer to continue using the shared address.

If the Client has the address as (for example):

Leaf Therapy Centre
5 Boulevard
City

From what I understand, to avoid problems (from all the other businesses at address), it's nessecary to have:

Leaf Therapy Centre
5 Clifton Boulevard
Suite#22
City

Is that correct? Or should the suite number go elsewhere? Also, can it be alternatives to "suite"? Such as Room#?

Is it still risky having "suite" of a shared address" or does that remove the risk of merges?

Many thanks in advance.:D

Nick

Hi All,

This is the first situation where we have had to deal with a "shared business address" and I'm just looking to get the best advice. There are various solutions, but it looks like the client would most prefer to continue using the shared address.

If the Client has the address as (for example):

Leaf Therapy Centre
5 Boulevard
City

From what I understand, to avoid problems (from all the other businesses at address), it's nessecary to have:

Leaf Therapy Centre
5 Clifton Boulevard
Suite#22
City

Is that correct? Or should the suite number go elsewhere? Also, can it be alternatives to "suite"? Such as Room#?

Is it still risky having "suite" of a shared address" or does that remove the risk of merges?

Many thanks in advance.:D

Nick
I don't agree with just the shared address as it doesn't convey the most accurate information so that people can find the business or differentiate it from other businesses. I doubt it affects ranking whatsoever.

I think the only time you need to worry about merges is when the name, address and phone are similar and the categories are related. I wouldn't use room numbers if there is a suite as you wouldn't be able to differentiate the from from the other suite locations.
Don't create a suite at an address just to differentiate a similar business from another. It looks shady and is likey fraudulent as most localities are responsible for local physical addresses. I've see people in the Google for you Business forum give this advice and I think it's bad advice.

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

I certainly don't agree with "fake" or "virtual addresses" as they are very "shady" (like you said).

In this situation, this is a "genuine" address. It is a Therapy Unit with lots of different businesses taking residence there. They each hold their appointments there as well. My client is one of the businesses that currently use The Therapy Center as their address.

So, they are each different as they have different business names, but the therapy center is under the one address. Can it effect ranking to have all of these businesses operating out of a singular address? They are slightly similar themed businesses as well.

NOTE: The business name will be different, and the Phone Number will be different (and unique to the client).

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

I certainly don't agree with "fake" or "virtual addresses" as they are very "shady" (like you said).

In this situation, this is a "genuine" address. It is a Therapy Unit with lots of different businesses taking residence there. They each hold their appointments there as well. My client is one of the businesses that currently use The Therapy Center as their address.

So, they are each different as they have different business names, but the therapy center is under the one address. Can it effect ranking to have all of these businesses operating out of a singular address? They are slightly similar themed businesses as well.

NOTE: The business name will be different, and the Phone Number will be different (and unique to the client).
Well, if the phone numbers are different and don't go to another feature in Local they should be okay.

The biggest thing to ranking will be web presence. If each place has adequate references only to establish credibility with Google they'll do okay likely. As Google will see a bunch of similar features at one site and if one of the features isn't a "medical office" or hospital or other master category then it might look shady. If the people/businesses are licensed then they'll likely do better as there will be more authority for their existance. Or if the entities are off-shoots or extensions of well-known medical entities (hospitals, doctors, etc) then they should do okay. The issue will arise if its a small location and a lot of features within said location.

Thanks Andrew.

So it seems that (for my situation), using "Suites" is not nessecary.

Just out of interest, (as I've heard a lot about using "Suites"), when is it nessecary for businesses to do this? - For what industries?

In what situation will lots of seperate businesses have seperate phone numbers? (even in the same business)....The only reason I can see is that they have a "shared office" switchboard service that redirects calls through the reception.

Still, I'm trying to understand the problems so I can look out for it with future prospects/clients.

Nick,

Didn't have time to read this whole thread minutely so if my suggestions seem off topic, excuse me, but I think I have the general gist of your concerns.

As long as it is legitimately a different business, a shared address shouldn't be an issue (in my opinion). Others may say differently but just being logical, I don't think Google will pay too much attention to it.

As Andrew said, if there is a different name and phone number, it shouldn't be an issue. Google knows that the same buildings house different businesses and some businesses don't put suite numbers. With all the things Google can glean about the real world, if this isn't one of them, that's embarrassing on their part. Stranger things have happened though, I suppose.

As for suite numbers, I avoid them. When building citations, some search directories will take them, some won't, some put them on a second line. It's a hassle and doesn't give me peace of mind on NAP consistency. The only time I would consider it is if the client has complaints about people having a hard time finding his business without a suite number. Then it becomes an issue.

If anyone has an opinion contrary with some evidence, I would be interested to hear their thoughts.

Thanks very much for your opinions Joshua.

I assumed that the problem was being in a "shared address" rather than "everyone having the same phone number". But now I realise that's not true.

So, I'm assuming that this problem is for businesses that have the same phone number (because they are on the same line). I haven't had a situation like that but it's good to know as something to watch out for.

I hear the problems about suite numbers and so it's good to have dodged that. Wouldn't it be simpler for the businesses to just get their own personal phone number?

If they're serious about Local SEO you should encourage them to get individual numbers.

Yes, I agree! And they have got individual numbers - - So, I don't see this being a problem.

I thought you meant that they didn't have individual numbers. Since they do, they should be set up for success.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom