More threads by HurricaneK8

Reaction score
We have a client who has an office in Etobicoke, which is technically part of Toronto. Currently their address on the website is written out like 123 Something Street, Toronto, ON L#L #L#....

HOWEVER, I noticed when I copy and paste this into Google Maps it changes it to 123 Something Street, Etobicoke, ON L#L #L#

So technically in the real world, both would be correct... but my spidey senses tingled when Google changed it to Etobicoke. Is Google trying to tell me I should have the address as 123 Something Street, Etobicoke, ON L#L #L# instead, even though this is part of Toronto?

It's a SAB with a hidden address, so the address is only being used on the website and for citation purposes... Not sure if that helps, but it could be relevant information!

:confused:

I hate these dual city issues. They can be so hard to figure out!

But city needs to be right in dash, even if address hidden.

Are they ranking now at all?

I'd check the Toronto address in MM, check any authoritative city databases or something up in CA. I don't know what's there. But here we have tools to check US postal addresses. But still, Google does not map postal addresses, they map physical addresses.

Check citations. If everything points to the small city then may need to change address.

If still in doubt I'd get a pro opinion at the MM forum because sometimes G maps and MM are wrong.

Thanks Linda,

It's a SAB so no MapMaker :(

There are 1-2 citations but not enough to make a firm decision on.

When I search the address in Canada Post it goes to "The East Mall ETOBICOKE ON M9B 3Y5" so based on that, I should use Etobicoke? I'm about to send it off to our citation-builder so I want to be absolutely sure ;)

---------- Post Merged at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and as for ranking they're page 4 for a couple phrases and 89 in the maps... definitely not good-- which is why I thought maybe this could be the issue, along with having 1-2 citations and no reviews...

I'm guessing that you probably want to go with Etobicoke. I know Toronto and Etobicoke very well. I've lived in both :)

Etobicoke was it's own city until it was amalgamated into Toronto 16 years ago. However, it's quite distinct from Toronto in terms of mapping. I also imagine that it would be very tough to rank for Toronto based searches if you are physically in Etobicoke.

If Google Maps and Map Maker think the address is in Etobicoke, I would run with that.

Can you share the address here?

Thanks Linda,

It's a SAB so no MapMaker :(

Yes I know. I meant copy the address into MM like you did with maps.

"HOWEVER, I noticed when I copy and paste this into Google Maps it changes it to 123 Something Street, Etobicoke"

I'm guessing that you probably want to go with Etobicoke. I know Toronto and Etobicoke very well. I've lived in both :)

Etobicoke was it's own city until it was amalgamated into Toronto 16 years ago. However, it's quite distinct from Toronto in terms of mapping. I also imagine that it would be very tough to rank for Toronto based searches if you are physically in Etobicoke.

If Google Maps and Map Maker think the address is in Etobicoke, I would run with that.

Can you share the address here?

Sounds like you've got someone speaking from 1st hand experience.
(And better experience is hard to find!)

Oh, that makes more sense! I never thought of that. THANKS LINDA! THANKS COLAN!:):eek:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom