More threads by grantbrott

Reaction score
I have been reading through posts and encountered the problem of having both the Google Places page and Google+ business page for a service area roofing company. I deleted the business page so now it is just the Google Places listing https://plus.google.com/110829373619194051602/about?gl=us&hl=en

My problem is it still is not showing up in the local results and I am wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for this to update once that page is deleted.

Another issue is the listing states siding contractor which is one of the categories but not the main category which is roofing contractor. Is there any way to get the roofing category to show up without removing the others.

Hi Grantbrott,

When you say:

it still is not showing up in the local results

Do you mean you used to rank well, but then stopped ranking well? If so, when did you stop ranking well. Do you mean something else? What is the core search term you are using (what service, what city)?

It looks like you have correctly hidden your address, so that's good. Can you provide a bit more detail? You'll get a much better response here if you do.

Your listing has no history and looks like it started over from scratch in the ranking cycle for some reason. Service area businesses were not supposed to merge with Google+ and we suspect sometimes when they do, then delete the G+ page it causes them to start over in the ranking cycle.

So worst case if that's the situation then it could take 6 - 8 weeks til you start to rank for KW searches.

Roofing contractor is on your G+ Local page (just hidden) and you'll rank for it once you start ranking. It's just not showing up. Google started hiding the categories and pretty much shows whichever one she wants to. No way to really control it I don't think.

Thanks for the input Linda and Miriam. It does appear that from what you two asked and mentioned that the listing was reset because it was showing at one point and now is not so I will just wait it out and see what happens.

Another issue is the listing states siding contractor which is one of the categories but not the main category which is roofing contractor. Is there any way to get the roofing category to show up without removing the others.

I have to agree with Miriam, Google seems to pick what it wants for your main category. I've been working with a plumbing client for a while and I can't seem to get the proper category to even show up.

Does anyone know rather what category is displayed has any impact on anything or if it is just a display issue with Google showing an alternate category instead of your first pick?

Yes, "just a display issue with Google showing an alternate category instead of your first pick"

If you go to G Maps and search for city + the category you have in dash that's not showing - you'll see your listing come up and G will show the cat. Plus you can hit edit details on the listing and see that it's there. So G is still reading it, just not showing it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom